• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Am I the only person who feels bad about this?

I've done it. Pokemon Yellow. I had a Butterfree 5 lvls higher than my Charizard. I felt uncomfortable with it.

When I played RBY, I always made sure my starter was above the rest. He was the king, the champ to beat. Every trainer I faced in-game had to go through all my other pokemon before my starter even bothered to look at them. Kinda similar to Ash's Charizard.

Now, I just try to keep them around the same level, but my starters always seem to pull ahead. When another goes beyond, like now that I'm trying to make Gabite evolve, I just get a weird feeling that my Empoleon is glaring at me, whispering things to me, from his pokeball =3

Then I finally use him until he goes beyond, and all his happy once more ^^

With the remakes coming out, Typhlosion will once more reign over all. And I will be happy. Nothing is better than a Silver Typhlosion.

I understand that too, I used to never catch any pokémon or raise any of my own higher than my starter. Of course that changed once Axel got to Level 100. 'ts ok though, at least you don't feel that way by yoursef :D

I'm pretty OCD about keeping my party equal. That is until I've beaten the Elite 4 which then my starter (water of course) is replaced by Vaporeon. Sorry Feraligatr, you're just too easily confused and poisoned.

I always do that. The only exception was once in Crystal, when I decided to play through using a Gold's based team, so I let Aipom get higher leveled then Typhlosion. I didn't do the same with Saur and Poli when I played through FireRed using a Red based team, however.

Not really. I had this slight feeling back when I really cared for the Starter, but nowadays, I just level them all up evenly. It doesn't matter if one's higher than the Starter or any other Poké I like more in the party, I just seek that they're in the same level range.

Since all my starters from each versions are always 10 levels higher than the other 5 (except for Gold, Feralugatr is level 100, 60 lvls higher than the ther 5). But I don't really care, As long as the starter is strong enough.

Oh, yay! I'm not alone~

In my Platinum version, I wanted a team different from what people (at their first run-through) would have, so I got myself a Tropius, Vaporeon, Dusknoir, and a Probopass along with my starter Infernape. Vaporeon, I think, was the highest in level (and did the best among the rest), and Infernape somehow landed as the second lowest.
It felt terrible.

But I'm berry planting right now, so I'm not yet training him. My only consolation is that Vaporeon is the highest, and I love her so~ <3

Yeah, I feel bad when my others are higher leveled than my starter :(

I try to keep my team relatively equal in levels(although I've gotten less OCD about this than I've been in gens past), but I don't feel bad if some of them are higher level than the starter. The starter's usually one of the best members of my in-game team, but that doesn't mean that no other member of my team will ever end up being used more in certain parts of the game.

I've never actually ever experienced this, as it's usually my bird that gets the highest level rather than my starter. I don't really care what gets the highest level, though.

I know exactly how you feel when you get attached to your starter...
On diamond I felt so guilty for trading my Empoleon

I usually never trade my starter, and it has one of the highest level on my in-game team, but not the highest. I do have a sort of special band between me and my starter. I do keep my team in the same levels anyway.

Oh, I feel you. Mostly because I don't view the game charie as me, but as an independent human with his/her own personality. Plus, there's just something special about starter pokes. It's like, they were always there.

I was that way too with the exception of the 2nd generation, in which I always made Ampharos my main Pokemon. It really is because of how much I tend to favor the starter Pokemon. My first lvl100 in almost all the games will be a starter Pokemon. However, the rest of my party are never far behind in levels. I usually try to keep my Pokemon within 5-10 levels of each other.

My Infernape has been stuck in my PC since lvl 45. If i liked the starter, I would have kept it above the level of my other pokes. But hell I din't like any of the 4th generation starters. Replaced them as soon as I got a Gabite

I never have this problem, I exclusively use the starter unless there is a pokemon I want to mess around with a weird build or something.

Well, my starter's usually high leveled but I don't have problem with my other pokémon being in higher levels. Granted, the starter is always one of the pokémon in my party. Starters FTW!

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom