• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Am I wrong for NOT nicknaming my Pokemon?

I don't do it- one, because a good part of my Pokemon are going to be traded from Blue to Crystal, two because I don't want traded pokemon from other people to stand out, and three because it just annoys me a bit.

It's your choice if you want to nickname them but sometimes people actually look down on people who don't nickname theirs because they think "it's because of the anime"..

I'm thinking of naming a Starmie "STARMAN" though.

Last edited:
I never used to nickname my Pokemon when I was growing up, but now that I'm older, it just seems to add a more personal touch to the Pokemon games. Now, sometimes when I go through a game, I nickname every single one of the Pokemon I capture. Other times, I'll just name the ones that are most important to me.

Recently, I tried to force myself through a Pokemon game without naming a single Pokemon.

It was the hardest thing I've ever done in video gaming. Especially when I came to capturing Pikachu. Ever since I started in Yellow, I've always named my Pikachu "Ruby" and then evolved it to Raichu. It's just become a rote habit.

I never got into nicknaming my Pokemon. It was always easier for me to remember who was what if I left them with their original names, especially in the days of red, blue, and yellow where a lot of the sprites on the status and pokebox screens were the same.

I usually name all my Pokemon, except legendaries. It feels like I would be disgracing them, first capturing them and then giving them a goofy name. But I like to nickname my Pokemon, its a fun and creative way to bond with your Pokemon. Usually I just give them a random name that sounds cool. Like Clawdaunt and Tangross for Crawdaunt and Tangrowth. Some of them I give names that only make sense to me and my friends, like naming my gallade "Kuree". One time I named my Taillow "Taco" because I was in Taco Bell. But that's just me, you can do whatever you want with yours.

I only nickname a poke when I feel like it, and if I can come up with a name that isn't lame or at least works.

I may name a Solrock that I might capture later in Emerald "Arcturus" after the Greek myth as well as the bright star.

No, I like their names. At the most I will change their names from all caps to one cap and lowercase letters. Of course there's nothing "wrong" with it.

Also I usually forget so when I catch the Pokemon I have no idea what to nickname them so I usually skip it.

Yes, of COURSE you are wrong! SHAME. Shaaaaaame. Your Pokémon wil feel bad if you don't nickname them! Like me and my Ludwick, Grimmjow, Vincent, Jordan, Meifon, and Aisha!

I don't nickname any of my Pokemon. Mostly because I don't want to bother to think of names for them, but also partially because I like the species names already. I like to be able to see the names, and also, it's easier for me to recognize what they are by name. My memory isn't good enough to keep all the nicknames it would involve straight, and I have a hard enough time trying to recognize their names - If I had to do it off icons, I'd be clueless!

i usually don't nickname the pokemon i use for the storyline, it's just kinda..blah. sometimes i give them a theme, though - my team in this run of pearl has names starting with the letter A.

the pokemon i spend forever hatching and training for wifi battles, i give nicknames.

I often like to nickname my Pokemon, often less seen names based off their characteristics or even the exact thing there based on. If I cannot think of anything, then I pick Human names like Richie or Sally.

I nickname all my pokemon except the legendary.But i nick name them because i think there name is there specie name in the same way we are humans. so i thought being called human all the time is weird but inferno isn't that great either i guess. its just a matter of choice

It's your choice if you want to nickname them but sometimes people actually look down on people who don't nickname theirs because they think "it's because of the anime"..
lol I'm guilty of that. Since I saw the anime first I never nicknamed my Pokemon because Ash, Misty or Brock didn't, so why should I lol. But even so there is probably an element of laziness as well:lol:

Nothing wrong with it. However,I always nickname my Pokemon,even the ones I just catch to release after I get their(and their evolutions( Pokedex data,or the ones I catch/breed to trade.

Though,I do find it a little cruel to call a Pokemon by it's species name. People don't go around calling you "Human". But,I'm sure they don't mind,judging from the Dungeon series..However,it also seems odd not to nickname some of your more trusted Pokemon.

Yes you're a horrible person for not nicknaming them and you should be shot.

...What's the big deal? xD It doesn't matter if you do or don't.

I never nicknamed my Pokemon before two weeks ago. Hinestly, I only started naming them after they'd spent more than a week in real time with me, and then, they also had to gain 25 levels under my care. That, however, only ended up nicknaming Draco and Polaris (Charizard and Raichu), so I don't count it. In other words, I never nicknamed mine, and got along fine.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom