• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Check out our new Mysterious Garden forum style if you haven't already - we're sure you'll love it!
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

American Politics Thread

Dorothy

My love is stronger than my fear of death
Reaction score
Pronouns
she/her
I was about to post this in the In Memoriam: Celebrities section but it is over two months since the last posting (and I didn't want to risk a warning), but Colin Powell, who served as Secretary of State during the first George W. Bush administration (2001-2005) has died from coronavirus aged 84 (Colin Powell, Who Shaped U.S. National Security, Dies at 84)
Remember when he got up in front of the UN and flat-out lied about Iraq having WMDs? I won't miss him.

indigohex3

Reaction score
Remember when he got up in front of the UN and flat-out lied about Iraq having WMDs? I won't miss him.
So true, but we have to remember the lie that got the US into Iraq in the 1990s which I believe also happened at the UN (the babies in the incubators who were being taken out of their incubators by the Iraqis and the fact that the "witness" that spoke was the daughter of the Kuwaiti Ambassador to the United States of America and was organised by a PR firm). So there were at least two lies that saw the US go into Iraq to go after Saddam Hussein (1991 and 2001), the babies being taken out of the incubators as well as the lie that Iraq having WMDs which you mentioned. And also Afghanistan, in which the Taliban (despite their sheer evilness) were willing to hand over bin Laden but Washington refused.

I personally feel that there is too many wars that America got involved in that were based on lies (there are three above, but also Gulf of Tonkin that saw the US get involved in Vietnam).

A Wild Luxray

Hear me roar!
Reaction score
So because Colin Powell's death was mention (May he rest in peace), I wanna take a moment to bring up what the former guy had to say about his death and everything wrong with it. So, first of all, its worth noting that Colin Powell has criticized Trump and has even endorsed President Biden, so naturally, it made him an enemy to Trump. As we all know, you're either with him, or you're his enemy. So in his memoriam, he obviously needs to add unnecessary details such as calling him out for mistakes he made and criticizing other Republicans, cause we know that's not allowed in Trump's book. Secondly, he's gotta throw in some petty name calling, calling Colin Powell a RINO (Republican in name only) And lastly, he has to make it about himself, by stating he hopes the media (Unnecessarily called the fake news media as usual) treats him well when he passes away. Of course he has to take a moment to make it about himself. So yeah, in short, even giving a memoriam for a man who just passed away, he finds a way to show what a disgusting and petty human being he is.

swiftfox

Vulpix Velox
Reaction score

Feels like we're watching the rebirth of the Confederacy, only stupid(er).

JFrombaugh

Reaction score
I swear, I really do fear the Democrats are going to continue to fumble the ball and then in 2024 they'll be like "How in the world did we lose to that reality TV clown again?!"

A Wild Luxray

Hear me roar!
Reaction score
Part of me does worry too. Right now, they're dealing with constant in fighting because of Senator Manchin and Senator Sinema and plus, even if they CAN get them on board, the fucking Republicans somehow have more power and can block every single bill before it can even get on the senate floor for debate.

A Wild Luxray

Hear me roar!
Reaction score
That fucking Trump back GOP candidate became Virginia governor...And Gov. Murphy is still behind. I hate this. Its making me worry about 2022. President Biden NEEDS something to get passed...And Sinema and Manchin need to just stop stalling things for us. We can't let the house and senate flip back red, or allow the insurrectionist continue to serve.

Last edited:

Aulos

Sappho's Friend
Reaction score
Pronouns
She / Her
"Democrats will need to take a lesson from this"

And what kind of lesson is that? To become more evil, like the Republicans?

The people who let Republicans win clearly don't care about the Democrats doing much, otherwise they wouldn't. let. Republicans. win. The only reason we're in the predicament we are right now is because we have so few Democrats in power, that we can't even afford to have ones like Manchin, who represent a conservative state and thus have to act less liberal.

In a better scenario, we would be excited that a Democrat manages to have power in West Virginia, but in this one, where his vote makes a huge difference, we're in trouble. We need more Democrats in the Senate. That's the only way to make this better at this point.

But too many Democrat voters are going to just step aside and let the Republicans win because the current Democrats aren't doing enough? We can never get anything done. Democrats get slim margins of victory and then when they can't do enough with that razor thin margin, people just let the Republicans take power. God, I hate living in this country. SMH. Or at least I wish I lived somewhere in the country where Republicans in positions of power didn't have enough power to take away my rights. I don't. I have to count on federal government establishments such as the Supreme Court and the House/Senate to keep my rights. And people just don't seem to care.

swiftfox

Vulpix Velox
Reaction score
What I find most concerning is Republicans invented an obviously bullshit controversy (critical race theory), and swing voters just ate it up. How do you counter that?

A Wild Luxray

Hear me roar!
Reaction score

On the bright side, it seems Democrat Phil Murphy has won reelection in New Jersey.

The Democrats REALLY need a new gameplan right now. Defeating Trumpism just isn't enough if the Republicans can create bullshit controversies like critical race theory. We need something more than Trumpism and January 6th to really win over these swing voters if we wanna hold the house and expand the senate majority we desperately need to get around Manchin and Sinema's bullshit. We especially need a new gameplan before 2024 because if we can't get Trump behind bars after inciting an insurrection, he's pretty much guaranteed to be the nominee, and we don't know if the memories of how horrendous of a president he was can prevent him from winning if President Biden can't get much done.

Last edited:

swiftfox

Vulpix Velox
Reaction score
Murphy managed to hold on, making him the first Democratic governor of New Jersey to get re-elected since the 70s. Democrats will also keep control of the state legislature.

One other takeaway from Virginia: McAuliffe actually got 170K more votes than Northam did in 2017, further debunking the notion of higher turnout always helping Democrats.

Dorothy

My love is stronger than my fear of death
Reaction score
Pronouns
she/her
Murphy managed to hold on, making him the first Democratic governor of New Jersey to get re-elected since the 70s. Democrats will also keep control of the state legislature.
The horribly corrupt and conservative NJ Senate President was also defeated, making his agenda easier to pass.

A Wild Luxray

Hear me roar!
Reaction score

The 1.2 trillion dollar bipartisan infrastructure bill has passed a vote in the House. 6 Democrats in the house opposed the bill, however. 13 Republicans did support it. Now that it has been passed, it will be delivered to President Biden's desk, marking a significant victory for the Biden administration.

A Wild Luxray

Hear me roar!
Reaction score
1 year ago today, we celebrated as the call was finally made that Joe Biden won the election and Trump was defeated. President Biden hasn't been the greatest, but hey, at least its not the absolute clown show that the Trump administrator was. At least President Biden has managed to get some infrastructure passed though.

swiftfox

Vulpix Velox
Reaction score
The NBA was back at the White House yesterday after a 4 year absence. Looking forward to seeing the World Series champion Atlanta Braves there soon.

CynthiaLover

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
I find it funny that Trump is calling the acquisition of his tax returns the "Democrats 'white whale'" and yet he's doing everything he can to hide them or keep them from being obtained. Hmm... Looks like Moby Dick is real after all (emphasis on the "Dick" part). But in all seriousness, I just want this whole tax return battle to end already, as he's stalled it long enough. If he's so desperate to hide his tax returns then it means that they have juicy info on him that could prevent him from running again in 2024 (or better yet, have him arrested). If so, then I really want the DOJ or whoever is handling it to just say, "Cough it up, now. No ifs, ands, or buts." and get this thing over with.

Ryoma Maser

"Stop toying with everyone's lives!"
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/him/they.
I find it funny that Trump is calling the acquisition of his tax returns the "Democrats 'white whale'" and yet he's doing everything he can to hide them or keep them from being obtained. Hmm... Looks like Moby Dick is real after all (emphasis on the "Dick" part). But in all seriousness, I just want this whole tax return battle to end already, as he's stalled it long enough. If he's so desperate to hide his tax returns then it means that they have juicy info on him that could prevent him from running again in 2024 (or better yet, have him arrested). If so, then I really want the DOJ or whoever is handling it to just say, "Cough it up, now. No ifs, ands, or buts." and get this thing over with.
Hasn't his Tax Returns already been revealed though? I remember seeing something about a month or two ago, I may be disremembering but I do feel like some were revealed.