• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Excited about the recently announced new Pokémon games? Join us here for discussion and speculation.
  • Visit your account preferences to list your favourite Gen 9 Starter, and you'll get the appropriate badge added to your profile!
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

American Politics Thread

Volphied

Shaking my head
Reaction score
Because Biden is a conservative at his core, and whether he needs Republican votes or not, he wants them. His political instincts would tend to mean he is likely to produce a moderate who will not do enough to steer against the Court's rightward tack.

President Biden has nominated Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson to the U.S. Supreme Court, the White House announced Friday.

Jackson has the resume we've come to expect from Supreme Court justices: Harvard Law, a Supreme Court clerkship, some time at prestigious corporate law firms, and a seat on the federal judiciary — specifically, the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals.

She also served for two years as a federal public defender, and she was a member of the U.S. Sentencing Commission at a time when that panel significantly rolled back federal sentencing guidelines for many drug offenses.

In a statement, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said: "I voted against confirming Judge Jackson to her current position less than a year ago.

Professionally, she is an experienced judge. For eight years, she served as a federal trial court judge and last June was confirmed for a seat on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia.

Prior to her becoming a judge, her legal experience was extensive and varied. While four members of the current court were at one time prosecutors, Jackson, if nominated, would be the first Supreme Court justice since Thurgood Marshall to have represented indigent criminal defendants.

At the White House event, Jackson opened her remarks by saying she was humbled by the nomination, noting that it came at a time when there was a lot going on in the world.

swiftfox

Vulpix Velox
Reaction score
My Twitter timeline has been all politics and the Major League Baseball lockout for the past week. I guess it was only a matter of time before they merged.

Bernie’s absolutely right, btw.

In-thread Warning: Politics Bans

Pikochu

is not daydreaming again.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just want to give an in-thread that if you are banned in the American Politics or the International Politics thread, you are subject to temporary or permanent in-thread ban for both of those threads, along with any other threads relating to politics. This is in addition to any other sanctions such as warnings, points, bans, etc.

This is your in-thread warning about the new thread bans. The OP has been updated as such.

swiftfox

Vulpix Velox
Reaction score
This is insane and terrifying. I guess it was the natural progression from banning vaccine mandates. Wouldn’t be surprised if a Republican-controlled state tries to outright ban vaccines, or at least makes noise about it, in the near future.

Antiyonder

Reaction score
Yep. I mean I think many who oppose the vaccine might have that fear, but Florida being anti-vax and anti-LGBT, makes it close to fact.

Aulos

Sappho's Friend
Reaction score
Pronouns
She / Her
To think, pre-Trump Florida actually went blue sometimes. Seems like it's really gone down the toilet now.

swiftfox

Vulpix Velox
Reaction score
To think, pre-Trump Florida actually went blue sometimes. Seems like it's really gone down the toilet now.
Florida’s still purple overall. It’s got an R+3 lean on the Cook Partisan Voting Index, the same as Georgia and Arizona. However, it’s also very inelastic, which is why elections there are usually so close even when the national vote is lopsided.

Last edited:

Antiyonder

Reaction score
Reminds me of a riff on the PSA called Boys Beware which shows men who try to pick up young boys. Just adult men doing so, not women.

Do they really believe that pedophila is just something done by gay adults only or mostly?

swiftfox

Vulpix Velox
Reaction score
Reminds me of a riff on the PSA called Boys Beware which shows men who try to pick up young boys. Just adult men doing so, not women.

Do they really believe that pedophila is just something done by gay adults only or mostly?
I don’t know for sure if it’s the case here, but these types of accusations from Republicans frequently end up being projection.

Antiyonder

Reaction score
I don’t know for sure if it’s the case here, but these types of accusations from Republicans frequently end up being projection.

I was getting up yesterday at the time and blowing off a bit of steam when saying that also, but then I remembered my own two cents that people claiming that gays/trans are evil don't even believe their own lie. They just need an easy target.

Cause otherwise there is no way to explain this:

Plus my response to it recently where Republicans laughed it up when Trump joked about dating his daughter.

Also coming to mind is Disney's 1991 version of Beauty and the Beast. Now I don't think this version endorses Stockholm Syndrome, but as it is often assumed to promote it, I find it funny that some parents don't reflect on it being possibly unsuitable for kids.

Heck I recently thought about it and as a Christian, I'd think that if there is a sudden concern about kids learning anything that is complex/intense, maybe they need to be kept out of church as well. Also goes for the Bible. Adultery, rape and mention of nudity? Indecent.

Especially find it funny that there are and have been Pokémon fans that hold the position too. I mean even if tamer, it still has some detractors for being a tool of Satan, especially Psychic and Dark Types. Mewtwo fan, BTW.

Plus as it has been mentioned the deemed acceptable for children episodes we have do have some squick moments that even the Dub couldn't hide like from:

1. The School of Hard Knocks
2. Battle Aboard the St. Anne
3. Beauty and the Beach
4. A Chansey Operation

Namely playing up a child character for fan service or adult characters getting pervy towards a girl.

I guess I should be glad that they are sloppy at hiding their stance, but that should be all the more reason to revoke any laws against the LGBT community without any voting.

CynthiaLover

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
Seeing how it has not been mentioned I wanted to bring something up. Recent (as in a few days ago), a bill was passed to make Daylight Savings Time permanent, thus ending the twice-a-year clock change starting in 2023. It was met with high praise and sweeping approval. However, I learned something interesting not long after: we already tried this song and dance once before... and it failed spectacularly.

Specifically, in 1974, Nixon did this exact thing to make DST permanent in order to stem an energy crisis. Like now it was met with high praise and sweeping approval. However, the whole thing fell apart in a matter of months. Not only did it mean everyone lost that hour of sleep that is proven to be absolutely crucial for one's health but sunrise was at 8:30 or even 9:30-10:00, depending on the season, which meant people were going to work or sending their kids to school in pitch-black darkness. That caused several problems that DST already is known form and made parents extremely paranoid about sending their kids to school when the sun wasn't even up due to the higher risk of accidents. Needless to say the opinion on a permanent DST dropped faster than a Golem off a cliff and the whole thing was scrapped and returned to the status quo months later.

And yet, here we are again: the Sunshine Protection Act is going to go into effect next year, met with universal praise and approval. And experts have already predicted that it'll fail just as spectacularly as Nixon's attempt did. There are just too many consequences surrounding it that makes the whole idea doomed to fail. And yet history is repeating itself once again with the Sunshine Protection Act. It didn't work back then so what makes them think it'll work this time?

It's times like this that my stance on a certain expression continue to hold true: Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. However, my stance is that we're doomed to repeat history regardless if we learn from it or not. Take COVID, for example. When the first variant died out people immediately tore off their masks and started partying like it was the turn of the millennium, overstuffing restaurants and bars and generally treating it like it didn't exist. This allowed the second variant to emerge, cause a drastic spike in the cases and deaths, before it eventually died down, prompting the people to do exactly the same thing: rip of their masks and brushing off the idea that it could spike again. Then came the third variant and history repeated itself AGAIN!

That's my point: we're doomed to repeat history regardless if we learn from it or not, because it has happened multiple times in just this accursed COVID scenario alone. And it's happening once again with the Sunshine Protection Act. The permanent DST failed miserably the first time so why does everyone think it'll succeed this time? Experts are already predicting it'll fail miserably because it failed so badly back with Nixon attempted it and that was when there was an actual energy crisis going on. And I, for one, am not looking forward to any of it. I already hate DST with a burning passion, I don't need another reason to despise the concept further with it becoming permanent in 2023. Seeing how it failed miserably back then I can agree with the experts in seeing it fail just as badly this time around, as there are just too many negatives and risks involved with it that make the whole thing a dangerous game to play. I'd rather play an early Yugioh manga Shadow Game with a borderline psychotic Yami/Atem than even attempt to deal with this, and some of those early Shadow Games resulted in things like people being set on fire, yet I find that to be a more favorable outcome than dealing with this second attempt to make DST permanent and watch it falling apart in an epic fashion. Frankly, I see it as a project doomed to fail and would rather the idiots who came up with this idea look back at how it "succeeded" during Nixon's era to see why it's a bad idea from the get-go.

whew That's enough out of me for now. I'm glad I got this off my chest because we already have a slew of bad ideas flying around and we don't need another one that is doomed to fail jump on top of them.

FelipePR

Reaction score
Seeing how it has not been mentioned I wanted to bring something up. Recent (as in a few days ago), a bill was passed to make Daylight Savings Time permanent, thus ending the twice-a-year clock change starting in 2023. It was met with high praise and sweeping approval. However, I learned something interesting not long after: we already tried this song and dance once before... and it failed spectacularly.

- Since I was born, Brazil has daylight saving time between October and March. But, just under two years ago, our illustrious president decided to revoke the measure, on the basis of argument that families were consuming more energy in the morning than at the end of the day, and that most of the population was against it. Research, however, showed the opposite. Well, it seems that Brazil is going, again, on the opposite way and that history always repeats itself. However, as the cost of enforcing and revoking such a policy is practically zero, and the impact on the civilian population is, verily, quite small, I see no reason for such concern or alarm.

Volphied

Shaking my head
Reaction score
President Biden just had a historic speech in Warsaw and in response the murderous Kremlin maniac is jumping even more mad than usual:

It's not for Putin to say who is the president of Ukraine. Or for what alliance Ukraine chooses to join or not.

Putin is a war criminal and a butcher. He's the biggest threat to the world since Hitler. He's murdered tens of thousands of Ukrainians in his bloody quest to dismember Ukraine and erase the Ukrainian nation.

The US and the rest of the Free World must support Ukraine with everything they got.