• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

American Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until this evening, I have not heard a word of any warnings about a likely "red mirage". And I wish more had been said about it before. I certainly hope that the mail-in ballots will pull through, but this neck-and-neck progress has still been very aggravating to watch.

I had heard plenty about mirages and am still cautiously confident that Biden will win...

... but without also taking the Senate, which is becoming ever more difficult to pull off, that really doesn’t mean much in terms of being able to actually pass legislation. So yay, 4 more years of fucking nothing happening to address the multiple fronts of immediate existential crisis, because the Republicans just stonewall everything rather than govern. Which people like, apparently.

... but without also taking the Senate, which is becoming ever more difficult to pull off, that really doesn’t mean much in terms of being able to actually pass legislation. So yay, 4 more years of fucking nothing happening to address the multiple fronts of immediate existential crisis, because the Republicans just stonewall everything rather than govern. Which people like, apparently.
We're fully aware of that. The point of the election is to try and prevent Trump from making an already bad situation even worse.

I'm too scared to look, but I'm hearing Trump is already starting up the victory speech and not wanting to count the mail-in votes.

I'm scared. : D

On the flip side, I heard Biden talk a bit earlier and he seems pretty optimistic about it all.

Last edited:
I feel that Trump is upset because he will lose a DEMOCRATIC election. He wants to stop the counting of votes (and use the Supreme Court to do it), but its not as simple as he (Trump) thinks. This is not the first US election to NOT be decided on the night (in fact, the 2016 elections wasn't decided on the night but took several days), and I feel all votes should be counted. Sure not all votes would arrive on time, and I am not across how voting works in the United States, but all votes should be recognised. What Trump is doing is actually disenfranchise voters, despite saying to the contrary. Trump is sulking because he knows he will lose a democratic vote.

I'm too scared to look, but I'm hearing Trump is already starting up the victory speech and not wanting to count the mail-in votes.

I'm scared. : D
If he does this then there will undoubtedly be a whole bunch of countries that refuse to recognise his apparent victory, putting the US in the same politically inenviable position as Venezuela and Belarus. Even Donald Trump wouldn't be that foolish... right?

I don't really have a horse in this race, but if Trump did, hypothetically, steal an election, the UK would be in an awkward position (At least from the perspective of the government). I can absolutely see Dominic Raab coming out with some lukewarm flannel trying to justify doing business with him anyway, and in that case, I would seriously consider joining the inevitable protest marches against it.

Normally I keep myself out of these kinds of conversations, but after having a nightmare about Trump winning and looking at the current state of the election... I'm both terrified and disappointed in my country. The fact that people actually WANT that psychopathic manchild in power baffles me. I know there are still the mail-in ballots and I'm praying to the high heavens that's what tips the scale in Biden's favor, but the fact that Trump is poised to gain 4 more years in office frightens me to my core. After his horrid handling of things like COVID and other world affairs there are people who still want him in power is frankly alarming. I don't think I could handle that, and it makes me very ashamed of my country. I just hope with every last drop of hope I have that the mail-in ballots turn the tide and save us from another 4 years of Tyrant Trump. However, my hope is starting to falter as I continue seeing this... disgrace of an election. If Biden can somehow win over the remaining states via mail-in ballots then I would be so relieved and allow me to finally feel pride in being American once again, which I haven't felt a shred of since 2016. I don't have much hope left right now, but I'm putting what's left of it in the mail-in ballots.

Some people claim that Trump is draining the swamp in Washington, D.C. But guess what? Trump stacked his team with family members and cronies. That is not draining the swamp. That is cronyism, something you would expect in countries such as North Korea or Russia or Belarus or even Saudi Arabia, not the land of the free. I think if Trump wins, it will be a sad day for the United States of America and the American people. I tell you now that Trump is not that popular here in Australia (I think it was mentioned in the news that most Australians wanted Biden to win), and I don't think Trump is that popular anywhere outside the United States of America. He screwed up everything, such as foreign affairs (threatened war with North Korea and moved Washington's Israel Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem) and coronavirus (which he claimed was a hoax, then when he found out it was real, it would just disappear, and then when it didn't just disappeared, he blamed China).

And if you are interested in the state of the Electoral College, check out this page on The Economist (The US 2020 election results). Just remember that there are several states that are toss-ups, such as Nevada, Wisconsin (which Biden is leading) and Michigan, Alaska and Pennsylvania (which Trump is leading). But I agree with you, it could come down to postal votes and hopefully Biden wins. And just remember that Trump hasn't won the election yet (despite his claims to the contrary).

Last edited:
Apparently Biden took the lead in Wisconsin overnight and he is only down 1.2% in Michigan, where mail in ballots are still being counted, and showing Biden gaining momentum. He has been slowly cutting into Trump's lead in Pennsylvania also.

UNFORTUNATELY, that racist orange bastard has mentioned he will try to steal this election by going to the Supreme Court, which is now disgustingly conservative. I was afraid he was gonna do this. He knows there is a legitimate chance he can still lose, so he's gonna cheat.

If Trump wins this...it might not be an exaggeration to say that the US is doomed. I think.

Correction. The world is doomed if Trump wins, not just the United States of America. Especially with his ego over the button to set off nuclear warheads (while telling everyone else not to have nuclear weapons)

Apparently Biden took the lead in Wisconsin overnight and he is only down 1.2% in Michigan, where mail in ballots are still being counted, and showing Biden gaining momentum. He has been slowly cutting into Trump's lead in Pennsylvania also.

UNFORTUNATELY, that racist orange bastard has mentioned he will try to steal this election by going to the Supreme Court, which is now disgustingly conservative. I was afraid he was gonna do this. He knows there is a legitimate chance he can still lose, so he's gonna cheat.

Yeah, that has kindled some hope in me that Biden has been cutting into Trump's leads in other states, turning them into near photo finish-style races. If he can keep it up then there may still be a chance to snatch victory away from Trump.

And I knew that the orange oompa loompa could, and most likely will, pull the Supreme Court card in order to keep his "godhood". It was stated a while ago in a news story I read that this election may not be won by voters, but by the Supreme Court, which he has stacked in his favor. Honestly, the man is just disgusting. I made a joking reference to my family about Trump, saying he's like a game of limbo, "How low can you go?" And it appears he can go very low. Let's just hope that if it does end up in the Supreme Court (heaven forbid it does) that they actually do their job by going with the facts and not play favorites. We can only hope that the Supreme Court understands that. It's just like what Rocky said from the Rocky and Bullwinkle Movie; "You have to have the most faith when things look the most hopeless." So, let's keep our hope up as much as possible.

Honestly I still have some faith trying to remain optimistic, cause of the current way the ballots are going and the fact recently Professor Lichtman, who's accurately predicted every election since Reagan excluding the 2000 election with the crazy unprecedented Florida thing (though at the same time he was still technically right) said that Trump is going to lose and I know that's not something to be hopeful in but I'm grasping at the straws here.

At least my home state voted entirely blue, there's some gratification there.

At this point, I'd say each and every state is important to grab. Not just Pennsylvania or Michigan. Any set of Electoral College votes gained by one side is, by definition, kept out of the other side's hold (barring a random faithless elector, of course). It's one less way for them to try and chip away at a lead. Even the single remaining vote for Maine feels relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom