• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

American Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you pay attention during his latest rally? He was precisely pandering to them by having the crowd go racist with "go back home" chants.
That's not racist. It's xenophobic, which is a very different thing. Xenophobia is not racism. A black American can be xenophobic towards a white person from Argentina, for example. So it's not a matter of race.

No offense, but you guys are really desensitizing people to the word "racism", since you use it to describe just about anybody and anything you disagree with.
I try to avoid WaPo, NYT and CNN so it's hard for me to remember examples of their Leftist bias. The examples are honestly so overwhelming that I feel it's ridiculous for you to ask me for evidence.

Chances are, if you haven't figured it out by now, you probably will just deflect, no matter what example I find. So, I'm not playing your game anymore.

I already gave you a link (https://thefederalist.com/2016/06/2...in-about-paranoia-and-fear-they-perfected-it/) , and you dismissed it for no good reason. You are just going to continue doing the same.

I think the onus is on you to bring proof for your claims, not me. Claims without proof can be freely dismissed.
I never tried to convince you of anything. You quoted me. xD

So please, search for yourself. The Internet is free and accessible to everyone. Look for proof of lack of proof yourself.

Last edited:
That's not racist. It's xenophobic, which is a very different thing. Xenophobia is not racism. A black American can be xenophobic towards a white person from Argentina, for example. So it's not a matter of race.

Xenophobia is defined as "a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principles," "a political or social system founded on racism" and simply "racial prejudice or discrimination."

Fox News Analyst Slammed for Saying Trump's 'Go Back' Tweets are ' 'Xenophobic' But Not 'Racist'

Fox News senior political analyst Brit Hume drew significant criticism on Monday after he tweeted that President Donald Trump's controversial "go back" tweets were "xenophobic" and "politically stupid," but not "racist."

"Trump's 'go back' comments were nativist, xenophobic, counterfactul [sic] and politically stupid," Hume wrote in a Monday twitter post. "But they simply do not meet the standard definition of racist, a word so recklessly flung around these days that its actual meaning is being lost," the veteran journalist asserted.

But Hume wouldn't accept that the comments were "racist," despite many others from across the political spectrum arguing they were. A large number of Twitter users blasted the political analyst's assessment.

"You don't think xenophobia and nativism against American citizens born in America doesn't meet the definition of racism," Andrew Kaczynski, a reporter at CNN's KFile, shot back in response.

"If you are a conservative who can't condemn Trump's hate-mongering without including a 'but' sit down and spare us your fake ass sincerity," activist and filmmaker Adam Best wrote.

Journalist and author Jonathan M. Katz sarcastically responded: "Considering African-Americans whose families built this country and its most important symbols of governance foreigners is definitely not racist, nope, no sir." The tweet was apparently a specific reference to Pressley, who is a black American.

"You will make tortured excuses for this racist fraction of a man no matter what," writer Dennis Perkins wrote. "Which makes you a racist too, you old joke."

New York Times culture reporter Sopan Deb asked: "Can you explain to me how a comment can be xeophobic about U.S. citizens but not be racist?"

I try to avoid WaPo, NYT and CNN so it's hard for me to remember examples of their Leftist bias. The examples are honestly so overwhelming that I feel it's ridiculous for you to ask me for evidence.

It's not ridiculous to ask for envidence for unfounded claims.

Chances are, if you haven't figured it out by now, you probably will just deflect, no matter what example I find. So, I'm not playing your game anymore.

That's not true.

I already gave you a link (https://thefederalist.com/2016/06/2...in-about-paranoia-and-fear-they-perfected-it/) , and you dismissed it for no good reason. You are just going to continue doing the same.

I gave you my response with an explanation of what your link actually said, and you completely dismissed my response.

I never tried to convince you of anything. You quoted me. xD

So please, stop asking people to "spoon feed" you. The Internet is free and accessible to everyone. Look for proof of lack of proof yourself.

You have to realize that when you throw around outrageous claims people will not take you seriously without evidence. You'd ask for evidence too if I were to suddenly throw around wild claims about right-wingers.

Last edited:
Xenophobia is defines as "a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principles," "a political or social system founded on racism" and simply "racial prejudice or discrimination."

Fox News Analyst Slammed for Saying Trump's 'Go Back' Tweets are ' 'Xenophobic' But Not 'Racist'

Fox News senior political analyst Brit Hume drew significant criticism on Monday after he tweeted that President Donald Trump's controversial "go back" tweets were "xenophobic" and "politically stupid," but not "racist."

"Trump's 'go back' comments were nativist, xenophobic, counterfactul [sic] and politically stupid," Hume wrote in a Monday twitter post. "But they simply do not meet the standard definition of racist, a word so recklessly flung around these days that its actual meaning is being lost," the veteran journalist asserted.

But Hume wouldn't accept that the comments were "racist," despite many others from across the political spectrum arguing they were. A large number of Twitter users blasted the political analyst's assessment.

"You don't think xenophobia and nativism against American citizens born in America doesn't meet the definition of racism," Andrew Kaczynski, a reporter at CNN's KFile, shot back in response.

"If you are a conservative who can't condemn Trump's hate-mongering without including a 'but' sit down and spare us your fake ass sincerity," activist and filmmaker Adam Best wrote.

Journalist and author Jonathan M. Katz sarcastically responded: "Considering African-Americans whose families built this country and its most important symbols of governance foreigners is definitely not racist, nope, no sir." The tweet was apparently a specific reference to Pressley, who is a black American.

"You will make tortured excuses for this racist fraction of a man no matter what," writer Dennis Perkins wrote. "Which makes you a racist too, you old joke."

New York Times culture reporter Sopan Deb asked: "Can you explain to me how a comment can be xeophobic about U.S. citizens but not be racist?"

It's not ridiculous to ask for envidence for unfounded claims.

That's not true.

I gave you my response with an explanation of what your link actually said, and you completely dismissed my response.

You have to realize that when you throw around outrageous claims people will not take you seriously without evidence. You'd ask for evidence too if I were to suddenly throw around wild claims about right-wingers.
The definition of Xenophobia you give, is incorrect. As a consequence, everything you say afterwards, is incorrect, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
The definition of Xenophobia you give, is incorrect.

As a consequence, everything you say afterwards, is incorrect, too.

According to UNESCO:

In contrast to sociobiologists who consider xenophobia to be a universal phenomenon, social scientists describe it as one among several possible forms of reactions generated by anomic situations in the societies of modern states. Furthermore, it is growing out of the existence of essentialist symbolic and normative systems that legitimate processes of integration or exclusion. Thus, xenophobic behaviour is based on existing racist, ethnic, religious, cultural, or national prejudice. Xenophobia can be defined as the "attitudes, prejudices and behaviour that reject, exclude and often vilify persons, based on the perception that they are outsiders or foreigners to the community, society or national identity."

So my questions to you are still:

"You don't think xenophobia and nativism against American citizens born in America doesn't meet the definition of racism,"

"Considering African-Americans whose families built this country and its most important symbols of governance foreigners is definitely not racist, nope, no sir."

"Can you explain to me how a comment can be xeophobic about U.S. citizens but not be racist?"

I start to suspect you are intentionally trolling me and @Weiss.
Another baseless claim.

According to UNESCO:

In contrast to sociobiologists who consider xenophobia to be a universal phenomenon, social scientists describe it as one among several possible forms of reactions generated by anomic situations in the societies of modern states. Furthermore, it is growing out of the existence of essentialist symbolic and normative systems that legitimate processes of integration or exclusion. Thus, xenophobic behaviour is based on existing racist, ethnic, religious, cultural, or national prejudice. Xenophobia can be defined as the "attitudes, prejudices and behaviour that reject, exclude and often vilify persons, based on the perception that they are outsiders or foreigners to the community, society or national identity."

So my questions to you are still:

"You don't think xenophobia and nativism against American citizens born in America doesn't meet the definition of racism,"

"Considering African-Americans whose families built this country and its most important symbols of governance foreigners is definitely not racist, nope, no sir."

"Can you explain to me how a comment can be xeophobic about U.S. citizens but not be racist?"

Another baseless claim.
According to S-O-C-I-A-L scientists? Do I need to explain to you that social sciences is an overwhelmingly LEFTIST field of study? They're just as biased as you are.

Xenophobia is a Greek word. Xeno (foreign) + phobia (fear) = fear of that which is foreign.

It has nothing to do with race. It can apply to both black, white and Asian foreigners.

Literally two second search this is what I mean you are cherry picking things that fit with your belief to back up your narrative. You obviously refuse to use Google as there are tons of articles that prove the point yet you don’t see them. I think it’s a case of you choose not to just like you choose to give a strange definition of xenophobia.

You can be xenophobic to people within your “racial group” eg Scots and English and vice versa Russian and Ukrainian. It’s not a race thing the woman has made some suspect comments about America while ignoring how women etc are treated in her country.

If you don’t like Japan your free to leave it should be the same for Western countries. I hate you’ve got me defending Trump but gosh darn.

Last edited:
View attachment 121168

Literally two second search this is what I mean you are cherry picking things that fit with your belief to back up your narrative. You obviously refuse to use Google as there are tons of articles that prove the point yet you don’t see them. I think it’s a case of you choose not to just like you choose to give a strange definition of xenophobia.
But him targeting those women was racist because only one of them is actually from another country, but they were all of color, as opposed to say, my representative, who is very white but born in Europe.

According to S-O-C-I-A-L scientists? Do I need to explain to you that social sciences is an overwhelmingly LEFTIST field of study? They're just as biased as you are.

It's really hard to debate with someone who just jumps to calling everyone around you a leftist. You complain about people being "desensitized to the word racism" , yet you're perfectly fine with shouting "leftist" at everything and everyone. Just because people disagree with you or your definition doesn't make them a leftist.

Weiss said:

I'm sorry, but I'll go with UNESCO's definition over some random Google searches. Only the former is authoritative.

Weiss said:
If you don’t like Japan your free to leave it should be the same for Western countries.

Again, I'm sorry but If people like Trump only say that to black Americans then that's textbook racism. I've already explained before that he only reserves his screams of "go back to your country" to non-white people.

Weiss said:
I hate you’ve got me defending Trump but gosh darn.

Then why are you defending Trump's undefensible racist remarks, if you hate it so much?

Last edited:
There’s a reason nationalism has become a negative word to many.

I live in a very proud country. You’ll have to look for quite a while before you find a Norwegian who isn’t proud of Norway. Yet most would be cautious if anyone refered to themselves as a «nationalist». I think to many it doesn’t just mean «my country is the most important to me» but also «I don’t care about other countries nor do I care about those entering mine».

It creates a «we» and «them» mentality. It’s good to care about your own country but when you start being hostile to others because of it it does create fear, and that hostility is something I’ve seen in not only my own country but many others.

I remember Trump being clear about «America first» and while yeah ofc you’d put your own country and people first you have to consider everyone around you.

As for what your own nationality. It depends a lot. It depends on roots to some degree, but it’s more than your roots. It depends on language, parents, where you live, where your heart lies (so to speak). Besides, I’m only part Norwegian, yet everybody considers me more Norwegian than my part Romanian friend simply because my hair is blonde, and that’s kind of silly :p

"You don't want to give an example of 2+2. Sounds like just you can't give an example of 2+2."

Yeah, it sure is hard... ;)

If it's not so hard, then why all the deflection and excuses?

So don't be surprised if people start to be suspicious.
It's not that I don't want to give you examples. It's just that I don't want to spoon-feed you, when the examples are EVERYWHERE, and if you are not a baby, you can find them yourself. Unless you are somebody who doesn't know how to Google search.

Besides, I already DID give you an example with a link I posted, and you totally dismissed it with your constant deflections. So I'm not falling for your "give me evidence just so I can dismiss it and say it doesn't count" bait a second time.

You know what they say. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Last edited:
It's that I don't want to give you examples. It's just that I don't want to spoon-feed you, when the examples are EVERYWHERE, and you f you are not a baby, you can find them yourself. Unless you are somebody who doesn't know how to Google search.

I think the onus is on you to bring proof for your claims, not me. Claims without proof can be freely dismissed.
Besides, I already DID give you a link, and you totally dismissed it with deflections. So I'm not falling for this "give me evidence just so I can dismiss it and say it doesn't count".

The entire website is a right-wing rag seeped in fear
You did answer. Your whole answer was literally "your example doesn't count because I say so".

Epic fail, dude.

Last edited:
You did answer. Your whole answer was literally "your example doesn't count because I say so"

Epic fail, dude.

Since you've trimmed my post for no reason, I'm reposting it whole:

I find it funny that that conservative writer claims that liberal fears of a ban on birth control is irrational. So is his claim about remainer fears over Brexit affecting every aspect of life.

Guess things changed since 2016 when that article you linked was written.

He also doesn't really disprove that right wingers use emotional language and fearmongering. His argument basically boils down to "no u" which is laughable.

But I guess that's to be expected, since The Federalist is a leading disseminator of pro-Trump conspiracies. The entire website is a right-wing rag seeped in fear.

Do you really believe it's irrational to fear bans on birth control or Brexit affecting everyone in the UK? This 3 years old article is ridiculously outdated.

You posted an article from a website notorious for producing fake news, with a list of "irrational" fears that after 3 years either turned out true or were maliciously misrepresented by the writer from the start.

Last edited:
Fake News? But I didn't post an article from CNN... :unsure:

That's because I meant the original meaning of the term "fake news", before Trump started throwing it at anything and anyone that hurt his feelings to the point many became desensitized when hearing it.

That's because I meant the original meaning of the term "fake news", before Trump started throwing it at anything and anyone that hurt his feelings to the point many became desensitized when hearing it.
Actually... that's one instance where Trump is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom