• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

American Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Trump's gonna be facing a serious uphill struggle if all the Democrat candidates keep their noses and reputations clean. He still couldn't claim that popular vote against Clinton when she was being dogged by some sort of email scandal last time, so what's the likelihood of him surviving someone with the wind at their back?
Apropos of nothing, it sure is weird how a lot of Republicans online seem to want Joe Biden to run.

Beto's campaign is off to a rocky start. He's been flubbing questions of why he's running and failed to give a solid answer, and his speeches are a lot of patter and not a lot of substance. He won't make it into the new year.

I don't think Hillary Clinton will run for the Presidency in 2020 (this might not be good news for Donald Trump). But I think I know who will succeed Donald Trump.
latest

I know Lisa Simpson is a fictional character, but watch the episode "Bart to the Future" when she inherits a budget crunch from Donald Trump

Another issue that should be brought up is this Curse of Tippecanoe, which allegedly occurs in a Presidential Election that happens in a year that is evenly divisible by 20, and next year is evenly divisible by 20. If Donald Trump wins the election next year, something will happen, such as the death of Trump in office. Or, if a Democrat is elected next year, there could be an attempt on that person's life (note that Ronald Regan and George W. Bush were elected in years evenly divisible by 20, but survived their terms, although there were assassination attempts on both) (Curse of Tippecanoe - Wikipedia).

Eric Swalwell is expected to make an announcement regarding his potential candidacy today.

idk I think country is really clamoring for the guy who was anti integration until the mid 70s and helped personally kickstart the era of mass incarceration

Biden is like the bottom of my list of any these candidates, and yet he is the front runner. sigh Not too happy with his "centrist" (AKA conservative) views on many things and the way he treats women. Please, America, I don't want the 2020 election to be between two men who don't respect women's boundaries. That's just sickening.

I feel Biden's frontrunner status has more to do with him being VP for a popular President than anything else. That, and nobody's really gone after him for the last 10 years. I'll vote for him if he gets the nomination, but only then.

Right now, I'm torn between Sanders and Warren, leaning towards Warren because Trump losing to her would be poetic justice.

I feel Biden's frontrunner status has more to do with him being VP for a popular President than anything else.
That's because that's the sole reason he's (being pushed as) the frontrunner. But remember - when the 2016 Republican primaries began, Jeb Bush was the frontrunner.

Biden is like the bottom of my list of any these candidates, and yet he is the front runner. sigh Not too happy with his "centrist" (AKA conservative) views on many things
Centrist is usually the best option, though, since it's far away from both extremes (and both extremes are usually bad, when it comes to politics)

Please, America, I don't want the 2020 election to be between two men who don't respect women's boundaries. That's just sickening.
Ok, I get the Trump thing. There is evidence of him not respecting women's boundaries in the past: the "grab them by the "..." audio. (And even then, that is something that represents who Trump was 15 years ago, and people can change for the better, sometimes.)

But Biden? The guy has been subjected to a #MeToo-style public shaming for hugging a few female colleagues ... Even though he apologized for it.

Not that I am a Biden supporter or anything, just saying.

Last edited:
Centrist is usually the best option, though, since it's far away from both extremes (and both extremes are usually bad, when it comes to politics)

You are free to believe whatever you want, but I don't have to agree. I see being "centrist" in the US as being "conservative". Thus, I don't find it reasonable, and to be blunt, I don't think that falling in between on issues is necessarily the reasonable position.

Ok, I get the Trump thing. There is evidence of him not respecting women's boundaries in the past: the "grab them by the "..." audio. (And even then, that is something that represents who Trump was 15 years ago, and people can change for the better, sometimes.)

Writing it off as locker room banter is absolutely not what a man who has changed for the better would ever do. Trump has not changed.

But Biden? The guy has been subjected to a #MeToo-style public shaming for hugging a few female colleagues ... Even though he apologized for it.

Biden may not be on Trump's level (as far as we know), but that doesn't mean that he isn't problematic. People really need to learn not to touch others without their permission. I've known many like Biden (especially management) in real life who just think they have the right to come up and casually touch me with no warning (and thus without my permission) and it is always super creepy. Biden is exactly that kind of man who comes up behind you without any warning and it's very uncomfortable.

This kind of behavior should not be acceptable.

Also, he has done more than hug, he has also given kisses, they haven't necessarily been his "colleagues", this has happened with children, for god's sake. And when I see the look on their faces I know they are extremely uncomfortable.

You are free to believe whatever you want, but I don't have to agree.
Ok. Fair enough.
Writing it off as locker room banter is absolutely not what a man who has changed for the better would ever do. Trump has not changed.
Actually, I think writing it off as "locker room banter" did make sense, given the context and the circumstances. He couldn't exactly say: "Yes, I was like that 15 years ago, but I changed for the better". Because admitting that he WAS like that in the past, wouldn't have been very popular for someone hoping to become POTUS.

Honestly, Trump is the kind of person I wouldn't want near me. But that doesn't necessarily mean I wouldn't want him for President. I try to differentiate between the person and the president.

Same thing with Biden. Even if he occasionally makes people around him uncomfortable, as long as he is a good POTUS, I think that's more important. Besides, he did say he will be more careful from now on (so no more Eskimo kissing ;)).

I do see where you're coming from, though.

Last edited:
Fair enough. However, I think the priority for a President should be to get the job done.

Ideally, he should also be a moral role model, but I don't think that should be the criteria when choosing a President.

I don't trust politicians in general, so whenever choosing one, I do it with a "choose the lesser evil" mentality.

Last edited:
A leader has a lot of influence on how their people act and think. Getting the job done doesn't mean as much when you have a bad influence on others. If a teacher is teaching the students what they're supposed to know by the end of the semester, but also influencing them with a bad attitude, then they're not a good teacher, even if their main goal is to do the teaching. The job may be done but the students might have picked up bad habits that might affect others.

The president of the USA's voice won't only reach the people that live there, but also the rest of the world to a large degree. It's a huge responsibility. We want teachers and parents to be good role models because they will influence children, I don't see why it would be different with a president, especially one of such a influential country.

This probably stems from the fact that I am European, and we have a different mentality from Americans, regarding politics. We don't look at our presidents as "role models". Just people that are there to get the job done. So my perspective is the "outsider" perspective of a European.

Anyway, I think about "role models", the entertainment industry is the real problem, not any president or politician. Having people like Ariana Grande, Nicky Minaj or any of those rappers using the N word nonstop, are the real problem when it comes to bad role models. Not some politician who hugged some women and apologized for doing it anyway. That's just my opinion, of course.

Last edited:
I am European as well, and yeah I could somewhat agree at least for Europe. Our prime minister isn’t much of a role model, but I wouldn’t call her a bad influence either. Aside that, leaders in Europe rarely have as much power as American Presidents do. I can’t name all the presidents/prime ministers in Europe, but I always know the current president of the USA, so it’s somewhat different too.

I do agree that those in the entertainment industry can be problematic though. In general I believe anyone with the chance to influence large crowds should be a good role model, or at least not a bad influence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom