• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

American Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to go from bad to worse for the Republicans, and it seems that all the major players at the announcement of the person Trump wants to see join the Supreme Court are coming down with coronavirus. I personally hope they all recover as I would not wish death from coronavirus on anyone, even people I hate (such as Trump).

Sorry for the double post, but...

View: https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1312376365019205634

McTurtle must be furious about Trump right now.

And, who is this McTurtle that you speak of? (I'm asking because I am not across much of the politics in the US apart from the election)

And, who is this McTurtle that you speak of? (I'm asking because I am not across much of the politics in the US apart from the election)
Jon-Stewart.jpg
9q7OlUS.jpg
20200805_Lazy_Mitch.jpg
155948.png
5ef23910a4a90.image.jpg

We've now got 2 high quality polls post-debate. International Business Daily has Biden up 3 points while the Wall Street Journal has Biden up 14. Average them together and you get Biden up a little more than 8, which is pretty much where we've been for the last few months.

Reminder that if you're in a tossup state, every last vote matters.

Don't forget 2016:
1601841187532.png

2016 popular vote went to Democrats and Clinton, and the Electoral votes:
1601842061730.png

1601841939709.png
The link for above:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-a-difference-2-percentage-points-makes/?ex_cid=2016-forecast

Here are the toss-up states.
(#1 on the list is Pennsylvania. Other biggest ones are Wisconsin, Florida, Michigan.)
1601841742578.png
Link for the state demographic (2 views, 'connected' and 'tossup'): https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-election-forecast/

(In case a reason you're not voting is that you detest both sides):
I'm as politically inactive as the "typical" American, but, even when faced with two choices you don’t like, it can't hurt to pick the option you think that's likely to result in
- less deaths,
- less political/social deterioration abroad and at home,
- less suffering / hell on earth for some people,
- (less instigating natural disaster factors, more securing drinkable water & breathable air?),

Even if it doesn't affect you directly (blessings), those things eventually pull society down to where you will feel the shit in some different way soon, and for years to come.

As you know:

Voter registration deadlines are coming up--Monday Oct 05 seems to be the business day for the many states that require it at least 30 days in advance of the 2020-Nov-03 election day.

Check https://vote.org to verify that you are registered in your county (in case you moved), and to check (also links by state) where and when you can (early) vote.

1601842586878.png

There's a real chance a major hurricane hits the Gulf Coast while the President is out of commission. This might be the time to call for the 25th Amendment.

(In case a reason you're not voting is that you detest both sides):
I'm as politically inactive as the "typical" American, but, even when faced with two choices you don’t like, it can't hurt to pick the option you think that's likely to result in
- less deaths,
- less political/social deterioration abroad and at home,
- less suffering / hell on earth for some people,
- (less instigating natural disaster factors, more securing drinkable water & breathable air?),

Even if it doesn't affect you directly (blessings), those things eventually pull society down to where you will feel the shit in some different way soon, and for years to come.

I think that the issue you mentioned in your post about voter apathy is relevant worldwide, and not exclusive to the United States of America. We had elections a couple of years ago here in Australia, and Scott Morrison spoke about the so-called "Quiet Australians" who didn't follow the election or got involved in politics. Some of the issues I think that has emerged as a result of voter apathy is that politicians have stopped looking after the interests of the community and begun focusing on the interests of the rich such as cuts to services that ordinary people rely on everyday and tax cuts for the rich. And we have the budget tomorrow night, so I would be watching it to see which services will suffer cuts so Josh Frydenberg (our Federal Treasurer) can deliver tax cuts to the rich.

I think what Trump has done in the past 4 years should be enough to wake Americans up from their political apathy because if Americans don't wake up, then it will get worse.

Thank you. I loved the cartoons of McTurtle (Senator McConnell), especially the dome.

Last edited:
Trump just tweeted he’s leaving the hospital tonight. This is insane; if he gets back on the campaign trail he’s going to put God knows how many people at risk.

Quite honestly, I'm almost starting to believe the conspiracy theories that this might all just be a ploy.

View: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1313186529058136070

"Don't be afraid of COVID, don't let it dominate your life"? That would never have any legitimacy from anyone, let alone a president who killed hundreds of thousands of people through negligence, but now that he's contracted it he's gotten some "legitimacy" in some people's eyes.

I don't at all wish death on Trump (I wish for him to be jailed for the rest of his life), but I just can't help but feel really angry that this is all that happened, and now he'll come out unscathed, bragging about how he beat the virus, and that it was nothing, that it is just a big hoax, that everything is fine, and that everything needs to open up completely immediately.

This absolutely despicable man in every single way, who has spent the whole year downplaying the virus, throwing big indoor hate rallies, not wearing a mask (and even more, mocking those who do), and not following any other guideline in even the slightest, finally gets the virus, but then it does little to him (probably in part because he has the best healthcare in the country). So little that he comes out stronger and now is able to gloat about how the virus is nothing.

It's moments like this (along with RBG's death at the worst possible time) that really keep me from believing in anything like a God, karma, etc.

As I said, I wasn't wishing for his death... Just...for him to understand even a little bit how serious this virus is.

As I said, I wasn't wishing for his death... Just...for him to understand even a little bit how serious this virus is
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I don't wish for him to die at all, though I do wish he was kinda having a rougher time with it so he'd understand the severity better once he recovered, and so his most diehard supporters could open their eyes and see this is more than "just the flu". Now that he's somehow miraculously unscathed by it, he can gloat about it and his supporters will continue to see COVID-19 as "just a flu".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom