• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

American Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some notes on the Senate...
_____

What's better, a Democrat in the White House and a red Senate, or Trump in the White House again, but a blue Senate?

Surely the short term prefers the former, for the gamut of policies (or lack of) in place, such as separated families at the border, environmental protections/climate policies.
_____

Here's the Senate, Georgia is going to runoff in two races. It's been at 48-48. Really it's 48 D -- 50 R. (Alaska for GOP, NC quite likely GOP). Both GA's going to runoff Jan 05. The question is where on scale of 48-52 to 50-50 it's going to be.

Image from 2 days ago, Politico: (purple is runoff: both Georgia elections)
1604876431196.png

I was (a little while ago) a bit despairing of there not being a tie. Hopefully the runoffs turn out well.
Anti-voter suppression policies would be great, please.
_____

Hypothetical! not-so-good scenario:

- Biden-Harris in White House. Red Senate. - measures are blocked as much as GOP can muster. ineffective progressive results. - general civil discontent, by both progressives and conservatives.

- 2022. Senate rotation seats open. conservative voters remember how much support there was for Trump. left-leaning voters remember Trump, but well enough under a blue president with a muddled two years to vote?

- Senate in 2022 is entrenched for red. - worse gridlock. civil discontent.

- 2024. - the post-Trump conservative candidate enters the political arena. claims outsider status, rallies the populist appeal, maybe touts Trump's GOP and the next wave of MAGA. but at the same time, more keenly politically saavy underneath. - 2024: post-Trump authoritarian GOP White House, Senate, and House.
_____

That’s just a scenario. That also ignores overlapping and/or worse-case scenario aspects that I’m not considering, such as
- climate causing significant inhabitable zones in order of five years
- renewed geopolitical nuclear tension (or fallout)
- more/stronger waves of COVID-19, or another pandemic
_____

I’m hoping voter turnout continues to remain high. I hope legislation gets enacted to combat voter suppression, and also electoral procedures to be more fair.

Either way, it looks like the White House and the House is now Democrats, and the Senate is very possibly going to be Republicans. That means the 6-3 conservative leaning of the Supreme Court is likely to remain. Federal courts are already quite unrepresentative, so I imagine, on aggregate, minorities’ equal rights would not receive the same degree of protection in rulings.

I don’t know what’s going to happen and how it’s all going to play out. Hoping enough of the necessary policies get actually enacted rather than stalled.
_____

-> Still on topic of Senate, but focused on the present.
BLUF: For Georgia runoff elections by Jan 05: The deadline to register to vote for the runoff is December 7.
_____

Since Alaska is almost certainly GOP, and North Carolina is very likely to be red as well,
the two runoffs in Georgia are critical in determining Senate composition.

If you’re a Georgia resident and you’re going to be 18 by January 05, you should be able to register and then vote. “You must be at least 17 ½ to register and 18 to vote.”
1604876811846.png

To note from others (direct quotes and paraphrases):
_____

“Candidates in the runoff will face another election on January 5, 2021. Voters can request and absentee ballot starting November 18. The deadline to register to vote for the runoff is December 7. Early voting for the runoff will begin on December 14, 2020.”

Georgia Senate race goes to runoff

It looks like you can request the runoff absentee as soon as right now.
_____

https://ballotrequest.sos.ga.gov/
Easy link to apply for absentee for runoffs.

If you have to change your address you probably need to do that on your My Georgia Voter Page first
My Voter Page

Even if Democrats don't flip the Senate, there are still plenty of things Biden can do that don't require congressional approval. Think about this: the Justice and Education Departments, the EPA, and the CDC will finally start doing their jobs again. That alone is reason to celebrate.

link for below: Joe Biden for President: Official Campaign Website
_____

Re: common sentiment about Biden-Harris being the less-worse option, and not the preferred option.
I don't seem to have gotten that as much among those who have lately been vocal in this thread, though certainly some of you think this. I do, to some extent.

Anyway, here's hoping that things get significantly better, and not just somewhat better, setting the stage for worse later.

To quote someone else (which I don't think applies to many of us here):
Stacey Adams and thousands of black voters and activists did not work their butts off for us to "perfect-is-the-enemy-of-good" this into a loss
View: https://twitter.com/staceyabrams/status/1324865042148421633

This was shared and gives me some hope. Yes, it's a tumblr post. But let me quote some excerpts from it.
_____

On Biden's platform

On climate change, energy, and associated economics:
His plan for tackling climate change and creating green jobs is also lengthy. He makes the connection between economic, environmental, and racial justice. He pledges to immediately rejoin the Paris Agreement and restore American leadership on the issue in pushing for even stronger climate standards, make climate change a central part of our trade, international, and justice goals, demand a worldwide ban on fossil fuel subsidies and tax breaks (!!!) and if the Green New Deal is passed, to sign it, as well as for the U.S. to achieve 100% clean energy and zero percent net emissions by 2050.

On immigration and refugees and ICE:
His immigration plan is lengthy and detailed. He apologizes for and acknowledges the excessive deportation that occured during the Obama-Biden administrations, pledges to do better, and attacks Trump’s current inhumane acitivities on every front. The policy of children in cages, indefinite detention, the metered asylum system, and the Muslim Ban are gone on day one. In this and his LGBTQ plan, he notes the vulnerability of LGBTQ refugees, incuding LGBTQ refugees of color. He proposes streamlining of visa applications and prioritizing the immediate reunification of families. It also specifically states that ICE and CBP agents will be held directly accountable for inhumane treatment.

link for below: Joe Biden for President: Official Campaign Website

There are more plans, which you can find here. These are the ones I read top to bottom. I am not by any means a Joe Biden fangirl; he was not my first choice, my second choice, or really anywhere on my list. However, having carefully read through his policy documents, I can say that:

[...]
If progressive legislation is passed in the House and Senate, he will sign it, including the Green New Deal.

I realize it’s an unsexy position, especially on tumblr, to advocate for an old centrist white man. I’m not thrilled about having to do it. However, speaking as someone who was very resistant to Biden and still doesn’t agree with all of his previous legislative track record, that’s my consensus. He is a candidate who broadly aligns with values that I care about. His policies represent a concrete end to the damage of the Trump administration and gets us on the right track again.

_____

Of course, Senate is still uncertain and possibly may go to GOP.
Supreme Court is 6-3 for conservatives and many federal courts are still recently unrepresentative, as noted in a prior post.
_____

I'll going try to keep a multi-part view on this.
Some part low expectations, some part optimistic action, some part
"Hey, it's not perfect, let's keep doing what we can and hope the government keeps doing each marginal effort to address the many issues."

Because, as you well already know, the work starts here, and it's important to keep going even when it looks bleak.

Last edited:
(First, a note, sorry for the 4 long posts in a row, including the quote-post; I hadn't posted in this thread in about 10 days.)
_____

Even if Democrats don't flip the Senate, there are still plenty of things Biden can do that don't require congressional approval. Think about this: the Justice and Education Departments, the EPA, and the CDC will finally start doing their jobs again. That alone is reason to celebrate.

Yes! I agree very much. So much will be rectified, including revitalizing key agencies/departments.

Including policies and rejoining agreements and international groups as mentioned before (by Volphied)!
___
___

I don't think most nations are on track to doing what we need to be doing for climate change, but at least re-entering the Paris agreement will be simple.

US left the Paris Agreement Wednesday—here’s how it could get back in
If Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden wins the election, however, he has promised to rejoin the agreement “on day one.” And the Paris Agreement is structured to make that very easy. If Biden does rejoin on day one, it would become official just 30 days after the United States submitted notice, so it could go into effect as quickly as late February.
___

Anyway, Biden has already announced what his first steps in office will be:

Last edited:
Just thinking back on everything we've been through in these last few days.

I went into the election feeling nothing but stress and fear. I was dreading having to put up with four more years of Trump. As the night went on, things looked pretty grim. I was pissed when I saw Trump win in Florida, and scared when I saw Joe Biden trailing in the blue wall states. I was venting about it on Twitter and a friend told me it sucks, but we might be screwed. I found a video from Bernie Sanders, speaking of a red mirage. Quickly I realized that was what was happening, so I thought maybe we're not out of the race yet.

I woke up Wednesday morning after hardly getting any sleep, and when I woke up, I saw Joe Biden took the lead in Wisconsin and Michigan. It filled me with hope. I knew we had a lot to do, but I saw a chance. We soon got those two states confirmed, though I started to get freaked out when I saw Arizona wasn't truly called and realized Trump was gaining on Biden. Also, there was still so much distance between Biden and Trump in Pennsylvania. I felt nothing but dread again by Wednesday night.

By Thursday, I got this sense of hope again when I saw Georgia trending towards Biden, and Trump's lead slowly shrinking in Pennsylvania. I was seeing 20K, 13K, 3K, and growing more and more hopeful. By the time I went to sleep, Biden was leading by a slim margin in Georgia, and he was rapidly catching up in Pennsylvania. I kept going to myself "Is this really gonna happen!?"

By Friday I woke up to see people were dancing in Pennslyvania as Joe Biden took the lead. I was getting really excited. I sat here thinking we're really gonna win. I was getting impatient and annoyed because I just wanted them to call the race and confirm Joe Biden the winner. It felt within reach and I was thrilled.

Then by Saturday I woke up to see a text from my mom saying NBC projected Joe Biden as the winner. I jumped out of bed and rushed to the TV to see the news we've waited for. Donald Trump was defeated. I was just filled with excitement. I was overwhelmed with joy. I immediately went to twitter to see everyone posting videos of people celebrating and friends posting in celebration of Trump's defeat. It was just this overall positive feeling I felt like I haven't felt in years. I haven't seen such an incredible response around the country since Obama won in 2008. Even the UK and France were celebrating. It was amazing. I'm ready now to move forward and hope to see some true progress again.

It begins. Sigh...

So he's going to get obituaries of people who voted but died, I assuming of his own support base, to try and claim victory. You're telling me that this narcisstic man, who put the lives of his supporters at risk by holding huge superspreader rallies, is only NOW thinking about them? And that he's going to hold more too.

So he's going to get obituaries of people who voted but died, I assuming of his own support base, to try and claim victory. You're telling me that this narcisstic man, who put the lives of his supporters at risk by holding huge superspreader rallies, is only NOW thinking about them? And that he's going to hold more too.
Doing this right as a hurricane is about to hit Florida. Priorities, what are they?

Just for fun, I've gone back and started reading this thread from the beginning, and boy do some of our takes from 18 months ago look really silly right now.

I don't want to pat myself on the back too much, because I've had plenty of awful takes myself, but I did say this last December...
I’m starting to think Biden’s going win. I know everyone’s waiting for him to collapse, but I feel that would have already happened by now if it were going to.

Holy crap, sycophants like Ted Cruz and Lindsay Graham legit make me groan. You can't claim to be fighting for the country while simultaneously supporting the man who has domestically abused it on a near daily basis. They and other Republicans who persist on backing a wannabe despot are vividly reminding me of Hitler's fanatically loyal high command.

In the same way we look down upon those who enabled 20th century dictators like him, I hope future historians judge these politicians harshly once the Trump administration leaves living memory. I hope those years are regarded as a dark era in American history. Never again.

A hurricane is headed towards Florida
You say the election is being stolen from you
The country is in an ongoing pandemic

What do you do?

Trump again hits the golf course, a day after his defeat

Well you don't have to worry, since Trump still holds the Presidential Sharpie that can reroute hurricanes. :cool:

More seriously, it's like I said - he's going to break as much shit as he can on the way out.

(Cursory thought, but, while the GOP's efforts to suppress votes in Florida were obviously disgusting, I wonder how much more Trump would actively refuse to give a shit about this if Florida had gone blue? He is that petty and vindictive.)

I'm still not really fond of Biden at all, but what this could do for my mom would be a hell of a first step into my good graces.

In the same way we look down upon those who enabled 20th century dictators like him, I hope future historians judge these politicians harshly once the Trump administration leaves living memory. I hope those years are regarded as a dark era in American history. Never again.

Ah yes, I forgot to mention soon to be former President Trump yesterday.

I still believe we need a repository for every thing he's publicly said, and a way to indicate veracity of major statements, (maybe with small footnotes explaining why any mistruths are mistruths?) Translated into major languages around the world. Archived in the Library of Congress, for enduring proof of the types of government official and political person that he was. (I suppose this particular hypothetical implementation with the footnotes and translations wouldn't go to Library of Congress, but oh well. Archived in other places)

For historians, political operators, and general public. We don't need any otherwise clear-minded apologists now, or twenty years later, or centuries later.

I would agree that this would be useful for people's he's worked with, too.

As someone who just graduated with both me in debt and my parents in even more debt who's worrying about getting a good enough job (or a job at all) to pay said debt, I think I would actually cry tears of joy a bit if he actually pulls this off. Honestly wasn't sure how much Biden was going to care about the student debt issue so wasn't sure I was expecting anything like this.

Also I know I'm late to this topic but I spent a good hour yesterday fangirling over Biden's dogs. I've had German Shepherds and Champ looks like a mix of two of them. Major is just a beautiful good boy. Of course dogs aren't an automatic "he's gonna be a great Pres!" or anything, but I do tend to trust people who bond with animals just a little more than someone who I've never seen around a dog before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom