• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

American Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

View: https://twitter.com/jparkABC/status/1362086875264135169

View: https://twitter.com/RhetoricPJ/status/1362089913823461376

In February 2020, Mr. Limbaugh, a cigar aficionado who long defended tobacco use, told his audience that he had been diagnosed with advanced lung cancer. One night later, then-President Donald Trump broke with tradition and bestowed on him the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation’s highest civilian honor, during the State of the Union address.

He won gleeful “dittos” from listeners who believed that American culture had become too politically correct. He spawned a mini-industry of anti-Limbaugh books and radio hosts who pronounced themselves appalled by his comedy bits, such as an “AIDS Update” that presented nasty nuggets about gays to the strains of Dionne Warwick’s “I’ll Never Love This Way Again.” For a time, he dispatched hostile callers on his show with “caller abortions,” in which he played the sound of a vacuum pump before hanging up on the listener.

After Trump lost the 2020 election, Mr. Limbaugh echoed the president’s baseless allegations of voting fraud and suggested that pro-Trump states consider seceding from the union.

Last edited:
The lengths the Republican party will go to just to stay in or regain power is disgusting.

Is there nothing that can be done to stop them?

They have had an absurd amount of power over the last twenty years, yet they have only won one presidential election by popular vote (2004). They are a minority party. Yet they hold a majority in the Supreme Court and have enough power to stifle us in the Senate. It's just frustrating. Our country would be so much better if all of their methods at cheating elections would be done away with.

Is there nothing that can be done to stop them?

They have had an absurd amount of power over the last twenty years, yet they have only won one presidential election by popular vote (2004). They are a minority party. Yet they hold a majority in the Supreme Court and have enough power to stifle us in the Senate. It's just frustrating. Our country would be so much better if all of their methods at cheating elections would be done away with.
If we got rid of gerrymandering, that'd help with cleaning this up.

I def have no kind words for the guy. He was a horrible person. I hate that people like him have so much influence and that people agree with beliefs like his. My grandmother is a big fan of him its terrible,I just hate it

On the Georgia thing, Im not surprised. The GOP is so desperate to stay in power they will do anything at this point. Idont know how people can even pretend they represent America or care about the country at this point. They show time and time again how much they dont care.

View: https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1363872567031984133?s=19

Get ready everyone. The Supreme Court denied Trump on his efforts to keep his tax returns hidden. New York City prosecutors can now legally obtain his tax returns and potentially expose years of tax fraud. The man has spent the last few years desperately hiding his tax returns, so let's keep our fingers crossed that this is what they can get him on. Hoping this will be the key to preventing a 2024 run. Also just saying, Al Capone did many horrible things, but it was tax evasion that they finally managed to get him on.

Last edited:
Me before reading this: Eh, he might be a controversial figure, but a death is a death...

Me after reading this: WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH HIM???
This is why I've always hated the "Rush is just an entertainer" defense argument. Who TF would be entertained by that?

Welp, cancel culture is trending yet again. While I think in some aspects, cancel culture can get ridiculous and its absurd to even think you can "cancel" someone, does anyone think conservatives take things too far when they play the victim card when others call them out on their horrible, toxic behavior? Like they're crying because its no longer acceptable to behave a certain way like they thought they used to be allowed to. Is it an exaggeration to say someone is fired for "having an opinion" when said people outright supported stuff such as the January 6th insurrection and regularly spread toxic conspiracies or harmful misinformation that a company doesn't want to be associated with?

This was expected. Even when Republicans held the Presidency the past 4 years (including a trifecta for 2 of those years), they still tried to paint themselves as the ultimate victims. It's only natural they would kick it into overdrive once they lost all that power.
does anyone think conservatives take things too far when they play the victim card when others call them out on their horrible, toxic behavior?
What really gets under my skin is that if call them out on their obvious racism, misogyny, transphobia, etc., they act as if you're telling them not to breathe. Such is the nature of grievance politics, I guess.

What really gets under my skin is that if call them out on their obvious racism, misogyny, transphobia, etc., they act as if you're telling them not to breathe. Such is the nature of grievance politics, I guess.
Yeah, that's the thing. They always act like their freedom of speech has been revoked. Nobody said they can't go online and continue to speak. Nobody said you can't go on national TV anymore. Also, this is another thing conservatives tend to show hypocrisy on, like I've seen times when they've refused to support movies because its star was a vocal critic of Trump. Considering he was a critic of Trump, they pulled that stunt with James Gunn's tweets from many years ago and got him fired for some pretty disturbing jokes they intentionally went looking for, knowing he's not that person anymore. They cancelled former NFL star Colin Kapernick over his national anthem protests, and I'm sorry, but I never wanna hear another Republican bitch about that and boast about how patriotic they are after January 6th and seeing the American flag being used to smash open the windows of the US Capitol in a violent coup attempt, which I find far more offensive than I found watching a man peacefully kneeling during the National Anthem in protest of police brutality.

Yeah, that's the thing. They always act like their freedom of speech has been revoked. Nobody said they can't go online and continue to speak. Nobody said you can't go on national TV anymore. Also, this is another thing conservatives tend to show hypocrisy on, like I've seen times when they've refused to support movies because its star was a vocal critic of Trump. Considering he was a critic of Trump, they pulled that stunt with James Gunn's tweets from many years ago and got him fired for some pretty disturbing jokes they intentionally went looking for, knowing he's not that person anymore. They cancelled former NFL star Colin Kapernick over his national anthem protests, and I'm sorry, but I never wanna hear another Republican bitch about that and boast about how patriotic they are after January 6th and seeing the American flag being used to smash open the windows of the US Capitol in a violent coup attempt, which I find far more offensive than I found watching a man peacefully kneeling during the National Anthem in protest of police brutality.

I'm afraid the right is built on projection and hypocrisy. Everything they complain about others doing actually reflects their own actions much better. The complaints about "cancel culture" after the right has "canceled" so many people is just one of many things. How does this party even stay together with all of this hypocrisy, I don't know.

Religious freedom - The right thinks that religious freedom is their license to discriminate and tell everyone else how to live, when in reality, religious freedom is supposed to be about freedom. Christianity being melded into politics is the very definition of hindering religious freedom. But the right has somehow hijacked the religious freedom term for their anti-religious freedom cause.

"Don't tread on me" - Like the above. What this really means is "Don't tread on my right to tread on you".

Being offended - The right complain to no end about liberal snowflakes being offended by everything. But don't you dare ever say "Happy Holidays" to the same "everyone is offended by everything these days" people, they will throw a fit right in your face. As well as green Starbucks holiday cups, kneeling during the national anthem, same-sex couples kissing in public, etc.,etc.

Packing the courts - it was enough to make me want to slam my face on my desk when Trump stood up in that debate and started accusing the Democrats of having the intention to pack the courts when the right has spent decades using slimy methods to stack the Supreme Court and other courts. All of that while using the power of presidents who didn't even win the popular vote to get those seats. The Supreme Court and the other courts do not currently represent America at all.

And there are many more.

Packing the courts - it was enough to make me want to slam my face on my desk when Trump stood up in that debate and started accusing the Democrats of having the intention to pack the courts when the right has spent decades using slimy methods to stack the Supreme Court and other courts. All of that while using the power of presidents who didn't even win the popular vote to get those seats. The Supreme Court and the other courts do not currently represent America at all.
You're absolutely right on this one. 5/9 current Supreme Court justices were appointed by Presidents who lost the popular vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom