• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

American Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to hear.

For anyone who likes fake news and big lies.

Gone are the days of conservative intellectuals. Now we instead have far-right shock jocks who prefer to screech about hating face masks or ordering people at risk of rising sea levels to sell their houses (To whom, Ben!? Fucking Aquaman!?).

Last edited:
I am from Australia, but from the look of it, the Republicans may have jumped the shark here by cancelling Liz Cheney and not the far-right wingers who backed Trump who was by and large the worst person to hold office in US history. But we can't fully blame Trump for it, but the celebrity-obsessed, dumbed-down culture in the United States of America in which just being famous for some reality show or appearing at WrestleMania some years ago is held at a higher level in the psyche than someone with intelligence and knows what they are on about.

At this point, I see "cancel culture" as another useless conservative buzzword. I mean when they went and acted like what happened with Mr. Potato Head (the general brand name was changed, that's it. Mr Potato Head is still Mr. Potato Head, and the product is still in full circulation without any restrictions toward anyone) was "cancel culture". As I said, it's just a buzzword.

Conservatives also love to fail to realize how much they cancelled Colin Kaepernick. He was "cancelled" in the fullest meaning of the sense, and it was by whiny conservatives who were so offended by him kneeling during the national anthem.

If there is any such valid concern behind this buzzword, it clearly isn't a problem exclusive to the left.

I am so in agreement with you on that. Here, we had this woman called Yasmin Abdel-Magied who was basically cancelled by conservatives for saying the truth about treatment of refugees by the Australian Government. And we had a comedy group called The Chaser, who had to tone down their comedy due to outrage from conservatives. And don't get me started on the use of "political correctness", which is another useless conservative buzzword, used by people who don't even know what it means (I think it was invented by General Franco in Spain to describe HIS Fascist views, so it could be argued that Trump was very PC in his views if you use the original phrase :LOL:). And "woke culture" as well, another useless conservative buzzword that has been thrown around in recent times. So I agree, Conservatives would use terms hypocritically to silence their critics, wherever they use "cancel culture" "political correctness" or "woke culture" to dismiss any criticism of rule by Conservatives.

So I agree, Conservatives would use terms hypocritically to silence their critics, wherever they use "cancel culture" "political correctness" or "woke culture" to dismiss any criticism of rule by Conservatives.

Indeed, all of those terms are more buzzwords. Any time I see anyone whine about "political correctness" or "woke culture" I instantly stop taking them seriously. We can throw "virtue signaling" in there, too.

I am from Australia, but from the look of it, the Republicans may have jumped the shark here by cancelling Liz Cheney and not the far-right wingers who backed Trump who was by and large the worst person to hold office in US history. But we can't fully blame Trump for it, but the celebrity-obsessed, dumbed-down culture in the United States of America in which just being famous for some reality show or appearing at WrestleMania some years ago is held at a higher level in the psyche than someone with intelligence and knows what they are on about.
Idk this kind of seems to me like a stereotype of Americans that other countries hold because of Arnold Schwarzenegger. In reality, Trump’s status as a reality TV “star” (if you’d even call it that) probably did not have much of an impact on his political standing as much as his aggressive appeal to anti-political correctness and his far right conspiracy theories. His lack of any kind of filter was shiny and new to all of the Reps who were feeling oh-so-stifled in being able to express their misguided and thinly veiled bigotry during the so-called “age of PC”. These are all things that appealed to the conservative Republican base and are likely what secured his votes in 2016.

Although, in fairness, considering that many studies have shown that Trump voters are typically far less educated, I’m certain that a large sum of them voted for him because they saw him on TV once in like 2005.

Although, in fairness, considering that many studies have shown that Trump voters are typically far less educated, I’m certain that a large sum of them voted for him because they saw him on TV once in like 2005.

Or The Apprentice (which he created) in addition to WrestleMania (not really into WWE). Note that the rise of anti-intellectualism is not unique to America, as it is happening around the world like here in Australia. So Trump is actually a side effect of the anti-intellectual culture that is promoted through things like WWE or Fox News or even reality television (such as The Apprentice or Big Brother or even American Idol).

At this point, I see "cancel culture" as another useless conservative buzzword. I mean when they went and acted like what happened with Mr. Potato Head (the general brand name was changed, that's it. Mr Potato Head is still Mr. Potato Head, and the product is still in full circulation without any restrictions toward anyone) was "cancel culture". As I said, it's just a buzzword.

Conservatives also love to fail to realize how much they cancelled Colin Kaepernick. He was "cancelled" in the fullest meaning of the sense, and it was by whiny conservatives who were so offended by him kneeling during the national anthem.

If there is any such valid concern behind this buzzword, it clearly isn't a problem exclusive to the left.
Colin Kapernick is one of the prime examples of conservative hypocrisy. They ignored the message of his protests and labeled it as hating America. I don't think any of the "blue lives matter" bullshit started also until after he started protesting police brutality towards African Americans. I always saw it as some kind of racist counter protest. I mean that crowd threw a tantrum when Chauvin was convicted guilty.

Also, the way they say Colin Kapernick hates America kinda reminds me of the early 2000's when conservatives liked to label anyone who criticized the war on terror as "hating America". This brings me to another example. Long before "cancel culture" even became the greatest threat to America to whiny conservatives, The Chicks, a country music group who was all but cancelled by country music fans when they criticized President Bush and the war.

I am so in agreement with you on that. Here, we had this woman called Yasmin Abdel-Magied who was basically cancelled by conservatives for saying the truth about treatment of refugees by the Australian Government. And we had a comedy group called The Chaser, who had to tone down their comedy due to outrage from conservatives. And don't get me started on the use of "political correctness", which is another useless conservative buzzword, used by people who don't even know what it means (I think it was invented by General Franco in Spain to describe HIS Fascist views, so it could be argued that Trump was very PC in his views if you use the original phrase :LOL:). And "woke culture" as well, another useless conservative buzzword that has been thrown around in recent times. So I agree, Conservatives would use terms hypocritically to silence their critics, wherever they use "cancel culture" "political correctness" or "woke culture" to dismiss any criticism of rule by Conservatives.
Just to clarify also, Francisco Franco is still dead, right? Also I love the irony of a comedy group being forced to tone down their comedy thanks to conservatives. Here in the US, conservatives are doing the exact opposite and complaining about how "woke culture" is ruining comedy.

Since there's now concrete plans to establish an independent commission to investigate the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, I decided to have a look at how the over 400 arrested rioters are right now faring in court.

And oh my god:
Watkins, the “Q Shaman” Jacob Chansley’s attorney, said his client had Asperger’s syndrome and indicated that Chansley’s mental state — and the impact of Trump’s “propaganda” efforts — would play a role in his case.

“A lot of these defendants — and I’m going to use this colloquial term, perhaps disrespectfully — but they’re all fucking short-bus people,” Watkins told TPM. “These are people with brain damage, they’re fucking retarded, they’re on the goddamn spectrum.”

“But they’re our brothers, our sisters, our neighbors, our coworkers — they’re part of our country. These aren’t bad people, they don’t have prior criminal history. Fuck, they were subjected to four-plus years of goddamn propaganda the likes of which the world has not seen since fucking Hitler.”

One particularly remorseful defendant, Anthony Antonio, was sick with a novel disease, “Foxitis,” when he entered the Capitol through a broken window on Jan. 6, his attorney Joe Hurley argued during an initial appearance earlier this month.

For months, stuck home due to the pandemic, he watched endless hours of the cable television station and eventually came to accept Trump’s bogus claims of a stolen election, Hurley told TPM.

More good news from Alabama: Transgender treatment ban fails in Alabama Legislature

Since there's now concrete plans to establish an independent commission to investigate the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, I decided to have a look at how the over 400 arrested rioters are right now faring in court.

And oh my god:
The most polite thing I can say about this is QAnon Shaman needs a new lawyer.

“A lot of these defendants — and I’m going to use this colloquial term, perhaps disrespectfully — but they’re all fucking short-bus people,” Watkins told TPM. “These are people with brain damage, they’re fucking retarded, they’re on the goddamn spectrum.”

Are... are you fucking kidding me? Like, seriously? Oh my God, dude... This is why people don't take us (people with autism) seriously.

And oh my god:
This seriously pisses me off. Using being on the spectrum as a defense for such horrible actions and just the way he's saying it is utterly insulting. He can go to hell seriously.

Lock him up:

“We have informed the Trump Organization that our investigation into the organization is no longer purely civil in nature,” Fabien Levy, a spokesman for the attorney general’s office, said in a statement.

“We are now actively investigating the Trump Organization in a criminal capacity, along with the Manhattan DA,” he said.

And he's the one who's leading in the polls!
Hard to believe it wasn’t even a decade ago Todd Akin’s “legitimate rape” comment torpedoed his Senate campaign in the same state. That wouldn’t even cause a blip today.

Hard to believe it wasn’t even a decade ago Todd Akin’s “legitimate rape” comment torpedoed his Senate campaign in the same state. That wouldn’t even cause a blip today.
True. Today it's normal for GOP governors to command rape victims to carry to term.
Senate Bill 8 (SB 8), passed by both chambers of the Republican-dominated Texas legislature, bars abortion at six weeks of pregnancy with no exception for rape or incest, amounting to a near-total ban as most women are not aware they are pregnant at this stage.

Unlike those measures, the Texas version absolves the state from enforcing the law. Instead it allows any private citizen the extraordinary authority to sue an abortion provider – they do not need to be connected to the patient or even reside in the same state, opening up the floodgates to harassing and frivolous civil lawsuits that could shut down clinics statewide.

In fact, any individual can sue anyone who “aids or abets” abortion care or someone who “intends” to help an abortion patient, a breathtakingly wide range of possible people and groups. While those who sue can collect a minimum of $10,000 if they are successful, those unjustly sued cannot recover legal fees. The anti-abortion law’s private enforcement provision is the first of its kind in the country.

“This law is so broadly written it could target not just abortion clinics and staff but anyone that volunteers or donates to an abortion fund or activist organization like ours,” says Aimee Arrambide, executive director of reproductive rights advocacy group, Avow Texas. “Domestic violence and rape crisis counselors who offer guidance, family members who lend money to abortion patients, a friend who gives a ride to an appointment, or even someone that provides an address to a clinic could also face lawsuits.”

Furthermore, the law does nothing to prevent someone associated with a rapist, like a friend or family member, from suing his victim.

“This bill empowers rapists and abusers, and lawyers and trolls who want to abuse and clog up our courts,” said Representative Donna Howard, a Democrat from Austin, in an impassioned speech on the house floor before the bill’s final passage. “And this forced pregnancy act will drive women back into the [pre-Roe] shadows out of fear of harassment through lawsuits that anyone in this country can file.”

True. Today it's normal for GOP governors to command rape victims to carry to term.
Something else that really stands out to me is how quickly the anti-abortion rhetoric has changed. In the span of a few years it’s shifted from “we must protect the sanctity of life” to “we can’t let women off the hook for their ‘poor choices’” to now just inflicting as much needless suffering as possible.
Of course, given the anti-abortion movement’s origins, this was probably inevitable.

The house passed a bill to create a commission to investigate the January 6th insurrection. 35 Republican voted yes to the bill. Glad to know the person who represents my district had some integrity and voted yes.

Shouldn't it have been investigated to begin with? Why do they need to pass a bill to be able to do so?

It is being investigated. As I previously said, over 400 people have already been arrested and dragged to court over the attack.

But all of this have so far been separate court procedures against separate people. Since the scope of this scandal is so large, a commission is needed in order to bring all of the evidence together in order to create a common report detailing how this all happened and how to prevent it from happening again.

For example, the same bill was also passed back in 2002 to establish the 9/11 commission. This is standard procedure when dealing with events like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom