• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

American Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve heard Trump supporters are certain that he will be reinstated as president by August lol. The delusions…
Not to mention that this is not how any of this works, if any election fraud had happened, pretty sure they would have had any states with misvotes have everyone vote AGAIN. Given there was only two counts of election fraud and they were both Trump supporters, he should be moving on with his life rather than trying to fool everyone that he has any power at all.

Not to mention that this is not how any of this works, if any election fraud had happened, pretty sure they would have had any states with misvotes have everyone vote AGAIN. Given there was only two counts of election fraud and they were both Trump supporters, he should be moving on with his life rather than trying to fool everyone that he has any power at all.
Trump is absolutely delusional and unfit to run in 2024. I mean...Seriously, he is mentally unwell and its concerning. Like I heard he legitimately believes he will be reinstated in August. He's completely out of touch with reality. This isn't how it works. Time and time again, its been proven that there was absolutely no mass voter fraud. Trump's own AG even made it clear that there was no significant voter fraud on the level Trump has lied about time and time again. We're 6 months into Joe Biden's presidency and Trump still refuses to face the reality that he lost fair and square.

You even have CEO of My PIllow, Mike Lindell, who is absolutely out of his mind. He's filing yet another lawsuit against Dominion and Smartmatic over the election and he claims that it will force the Supreme Court to overturn the election 9-0....Stuff like this is why I am never gonna buy My Pillow.

Last edited:
Well, it appears that the Republicans are trying to get other states to follow Arizona's "path" and perform election audits so they can overturn the election in Trump's favor. Targets includes place like Georgia, Wisconsin, Michigan, New Hampshire, and Pennsylvania, many of whom are being encouraged to hire private companies and even retired police officers to probe the 2020 election. Note that those states are ones where the mail-in votes were the ones that toppled Trump's grip on them. This is a threat to US democracy as it shows just how far those arse-kissers will go to get both Trump's way and their way. I swear, it's like the GOP wants to be seen as antagonists at this point. They're trying to overturn a legitimate election with genuine results that they can't accept, all so they can get that megalomaniac back into office and get their way. They're basically digging their own graves at this point. It's amazing what that madman has done to this country and its politicians. Considering that after the audit Arizona had to get rid of the election machines out of fear of the GOP tampering with them just proves how much of this country Trump's tyranny has corrupted.

Despite the GOP's absurd effort to pass as many voter suppression laws as possible at the state level, Joe Manchin refuses to support the For the People Act. I'm so fucking sick of him. He's become a such a huge pain in the ass for the Biden administration, thanks to his constant refusal to support any act the Democrats want to pass. We have the house, senate, and presidency, yet its been impossible to get anything done thanks to a filibuster and people like Joe Manchin.

Despite the GOP's absurd effort to pass as many voter suppression laws as possible at the state level, Joe Manchin refuses to support the For the People Act. I'm so fucking sick of him. He's become a such a huge pain in the ass for the Biden administration, thanks to his constant refusal to support any act the Democrats want to pass. We have the house, senate, and presidency, yet its been impossible to get anything done thanks to a filibuster and people like Joe Manchin.
I really miss the days when we could just buy off the centrists.
EF17911F-EEC2-4F13-A35A-4CF0007CDF56.jpeg

In Texas news, it appears that the Democratic Party is waiting for Matthew McConaughey to announce whether he's running for Governor before any candidates announce their bids. Normal state.

The speed at which this symbolic, tootless action sailed through Congress while voting rights legislation has stalled... well it's very typically American.

...The speed?

The campaign to make Juneteenth has been going on for decades. It can only seem fast to those who didn't know about this, like Trump for example, who back in 2020 falsely and arrogantly claimed that he "made Juneteenth very famous" after his aides told him that he can't have a rally in Tulsa on this date. The reason it took decades to make this date a federal holiday was racist Republican opposition, which was broken only now. Even now, there are still many Republicans who refuse to celebrate this date.

Last year, the Wisconsin Republican blocked legislation to make Juneteenth a national holiday. On Tuesday, he relented, saying, "While it still seems strange that having taxpayers provide federal employees paid time off is now required to celebrate the end of slavery, it is clear that there is no appetite in Congress to further discuss the matter."

As you can see, there are still Republicans who wanted to continue to "discuss" the reasons why Juneteenth should not be celebrated. So no, I reject your unfair labeling of this as "symbolic and tootless".

There is a huge power in symbols. That's why white supremacists are so protective of Confederate statues. And regarding your comment about stalled voting rights legislation, I'll just say that this isn't an "this or that" situation. I did not expect this congress to easily pass everything in its first half year. So I'm still going to celebrate that the discourse about America's slavery past has shifted enough in the past decades that even most Republicans can no longer block the "symbolic" stuff like before. And this gives me more optimism for the eventual passing of voting rights legislation.

Last edited:
It seems Manchin has finally come to an agreement on the For The People Act, which means all Democrats are on board, but of fucking course the Republican's are gonna probably get to block it yet again with the filibuster. I'm so fed up with this. It feels as if they were able to easily get stuff pushed through in their first 2 years of Trump's presidency, though its been impossible for Biden to get anything through the senate even with the Democrat majority.

It seems Manchin has finally come to an agreement on the For The People Act, which means all Democrats are on board, but of fucking course the Republican's are gonna probably get to block it yet again with the filibuster. I'm so fed up with this. It feels as if they were able to easily get stuff pushed through in their first 2 years of Trump's presidency, though its been impossible for Biden to get anything through the senate even with the Democrat majority.
Actually, the only major legislation Republicans passed in Trump’s first 2 years was the tax reform bill, which took 11 months.
I know it’s frustrating, but blocking legislation has always been easier than passing it.

...The speed?

The campaign to make Juneteenth has been going on for decades. It can only seem fast to those who didn't know about this, like Trump for example, who back in 2020 falsely and arrogantly claimed that he "made Juneteenth very famous" after his aides told him that he can't have a rally in Tulsa on this date. The reason it took decades to make this date a federal holiday was racist Republican opposition, which was broken only now. Even now, there are still many Republicans who refuse to celebrate this date.
The bill was introduced in February and signed into law in June. That's fast, regardless of Sheila Jackson Lee's prior efforts.

Forgive the necro, but today’s news reminded me of this part of the thread.
Just hoping Cleveland doesn't make the same mistake Washington did by not picking an actual team name and going with something incredibly boring and generic. Their reasons for changing the name is valid, but please...PLEASE do not call yourself the Cleveland Baseball Team.
They went with…Guardians, a reference to the statues on Cleveland’s Hope Memorial Bridge. Personally, I think it sounds too much like a minor league name, but I get it.

Naturally, the former guy felt obligated to weigh in: ‘Such a disgrace’: Former President Trump reacts as Cleveland Indians announce Guardians as new name
Even if the old name didn’t have all the baggage attached, it’s not like the Indians have a long-running history of success; their last World Series title was in 1948.

Well, as I've said numerous times before, I tend to avoid talking about politics, but once again I'm here to mention yet another issue that I can't stay silent on.

As you know, the Delta variant of COVID-19 is on the rise and several states are becoming hotspots, such as Texas and Florida. Again. And the leaders of said states (among others) are more inclined to play the blame game instead of, you know, actually using something called intelligent thought to combat the virus (although I guess using intelligent thought does requires a brain, which they don't seem to have). However, I recently learned that a particular state has just sunk to a new low on the blame game. The lieutenant governor of Texas, Dan Patrick, is blaming the spread of the new variant on... wait for it... unvaccinated African Americans. Not because they are neglecting the necessary steps to stop the spread, but on unvaccinated African Americans. Can you believe him? I'm sorta surprised he's not tossing in Mexicans into that foul mixing pot called racism. And the cherry on top is to further blame the Democrats for, you know, actually trying to take precautions on stemming the spread. I'm just beyond flabbergasted at just how low these idiots will go to deflect blame off of themselves. It's like a game of limbo: How low can you go? Well, it appears the Republicans are willing to go to new lows that we haven't seen since maybe even the Civil War. Old Abe Lincoln must be turning in his grave to see just what the Republican party has become. We're dealing with one of the biggest pandemics in decades and these morons prefer to play the superior card and flaunt their "never my fault" attitude while people are SUFFERING and DYING because they're not taking the needed steps to stop the spread of COVID. I swear, there seems to be no hope for the Republican party at this rate. Hopefully the commonfolk will wake up and kick these guys out of power, as they're more inclined to let the country burn than actually help it.

Anyway, I'm gonna stop right there, as I'm getting worked up again. And I really don't want to get worked up before I take my melatonin at bedtime, as it tends to prevent me from sleeping good. But I thought I should share the lasted bit of political stupidity that has cropped up.

Five-alarm fire. Expect other red states to pass similar laws very soon.

Oh hello. It's the long-term consequences of the 2016 election. As if we already don't have enough consequences of the same election with COVID being rampant and politicized, and the lack of taxation on the rich causing horrific economic inequality to contend with.

Listen up leftists. You can not let a Republican be president. Ever. Never again. Unless something goes awry with the parties like it did back in the 20th century (where the Republicans became conservative, and the Democrats became liberal). You must get out and vote, even if the Democrat candidate is bad. Because Republicans being in power always harms us immensely. Always. A Republican president is always going to be more harmful, the way things are right now.

I don't know how to fix the Democrat party. But letting Republicans win because the Democrat is not good enough is a horrible strategy and people have lost their rights and their lives and it's going to continue because the Supreme Court was stacked.

Oh hello. It's the long-term consequences of the 2016 election. As if we already don't have enough consequences of the same election with COVID being rampant and politicized, and the lack of taxation on the rich causing horrific economic inequality to contend with.

Listen up leftists. You can not let a Republican be president. Ever. Never again. Unless something goes awry with the parties like it did back in the 20th century (where the Republicans became conservative, and the Democrats became liberal). You must get out and vote, even if the Democrat candidate is bad. Because Republicans being in power always harms us immensely. Always. A Republican president is always going to be more harmful, the way things are right now.

I don't know how to fix the Democrat party. But letting Republicans win because the Democrat is not good enough is a horrible strategy and people have lost their rights and their lives and it's going to continue because the Supreme Court was stacked.

These kinds of lectures don't really do much to solve the problems in the electoral system which cause Republicans to take power, though, do they? It's not "leftists" who don't want to vote for Democrats - and they shouldn't, because Democrats have no more interest in pursuing the political goals of the left than Republicans - it's voter suppression, it's gerrymandering, it's voter intimidation and disenfranchisement. If you want specifically to keep the Republicans out of power, then focusing on mitigating these issues is what you want to be doing, not wagging your finger at leftists, who have not made up a significant voting bloc in the United States since the early 20th Century.

Frankly, Ruth Bader Ginsburg bears at least as much blame for this as any leftist, for refusing to retire at an opportune time while the Democrats still controlled the Senate and the Presidency, based purely on her own ego.

Oh hello. It's the long-term consequences of the 2016 election.
What infuriates me most is that all of this was obvious at the time, and so many people flat out refused to acknowledge it. I keep thinking of all the times I watched (mostly female) Clinton supporters screaming about the importance of the Supreme Court, only for supposed progressives to tell them they were being "dramatic" and "hysterical" or accuse them of "emotional blackmail", whatever the fuck that means.

As for who's to blame, that's easy: everyone who did not vote for Clinton, everyone who willingly chose not to do the only thing that would have prevented this disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom