• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

American Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Murphy managed to hold on, making him the first Democratic governor of New Jersey to get re-elected since the 70s. Democrats will also keep control of the state legislature.
The horribly corrupt and conservative NJ Senate President was also defeated, making his agenda easier to pass.

The 1.2 trillion dollar bipartisan infrastructure bill has passed a vote in the House. 6 Democrats in the house opposed the bill, however. 13 Republicans did support it. Now that it has been passed, it will be delivered to President Biden's desk, marking a significant victory for the Biden administration.

1 year ago today, we celebrated as the call was finally made that Joe Biden won the election and Trump was defeated. President Biden hasn't been the greatest, but hey, at least its not the absolute clown show that the Trump administrator was. At least President Biden has managed to get some infrastructure passed though.

The NBA was back at the White House yesterday after a 4 year absence. Looking forward to seeing the World Series champion Atlanta Braves there soon.

I find it funny that Trump is calling the acquisition of his tax returns the "Democrats 'white whale'" and yet he's doing everything he can to hide them or keep them from being obtained. Hmm... Looks like Moby Dick is real after all (emphasis on the "Dick" part). But in all seriousness, I just want this whole tax return battle to end already, as he's stalled it long enough. If he's so desperate to hide his tax returns then it means that they have juicy info on him that could prevent him from running again in 2024 (or better yet, have him arrested). If so, then I really want the DOJ or whoever is handling it to just say, "Cough it up, now. No ifs, ands, or buts." and get this thing over with.

I find it funny that Trump is calling the acquisition of his tax returns the "Democrats 'white whale'" and yet he's doing everything he can to hide them or keep them from being obtained. Hmm... Looks like Moby Dick is real after all (emphasis on the "Dick" part). But in all seriousness, I just want this whole tax return battle to end already, as he's stalled it long enough. If he's so desperate to hide his tax returns then it means that they have juicy info on him that could prevent him from running again in 2024 (or better yet, have him arrested). If so, then I really want the DOJ or whoever is handling it to just say, "Cough it up, now. No ifs, ands, or buts." and get this thing over with.
Hasn't his Tax Returns already been revealed though? I remember seeing something about a month or two ago, I may be disremembering but I do feel like some were revealed.

Hasn't his Tax Returns already been revealed though? I remember seeing something about a month or two ago, I may be disremembering but I do feel like some were revealed.

There was something in the New York Times a while ago about at least a portion of it, if memory serves, mostly I think it had some bits of tax fraud, but it wasn't enough to do anything and the legitimacy was brought into question repeatedly. So it's hard to say. However, what people like myself are more interested in is the stuff he did overseas, like that hotel deal or whatever with a German bank, among other foreign deals. Especially since said German bank has now blocked him from ever making deals with them again. So there are still several missing chunks of information out there. Getting everything is the key thing here, as only some chunks were possibly revealed, and even that was considered questionable. The fact that he's been so desperate to stall any attempt to get his full tax returns is what's raising eyebrows, and is what people like me want to see finally exposed to everyone.

"Democrats will need to take a lesson from this"

And what kind of lesson is that? To become more evil, like the Republicans?
The lesson is that Democrats can't run a campaign on simply being anti-Trump when Trump isn't on the ballot. Is Youngkin essentially a better-looking, younger Trump from a policy standpoint? Sure, but Democrats need to quit highlighting the things they aren't and start highlighting the things they ARE. There had been so much work done in Virginia since Charlottesville in terms of racial justice, yet I never heard McAuliffe say ANYTHING about the work that state Dems have done in that department throughout the campaign. The decriminalization of marijuana. Just "Trump, Trump, Trump." That's boring and we've heard ENOUGH about that stuff for the past four years. Tell me why I should vote for YOU, yknow? On the flip side, Youngkin ran an incredibly smart campaign, toeing the line between keeping the Trump base in rural areas while also stressing an issue that appealed to a certain demographic he thought he could win. It was smart, sly, cunning, and effective, and although it was built on a lie, so have the rest of the Republican party talking points in the last ten years, so he fits right in.

Oh, and it helps when your candidate is more interesting than a piece of dry toast. Let me say that as a young, Democratic voter in Virginia, there was absolutely nothing appealing about McAuliffe or his campaign. Absolutely no charisma and so much disconnect with his party's core. The Dems never should have let him run this cycle; he was simply the wrong guy to put on the ballot. And it especially irks me when we had two incredibly interesting, strong, charismatic Black women in the primary that nobody gave a second thought to read up about and vote for because a familiar name was on the ballot.

The Dems need to start putting fighters on the ballot. People who will go toe to toe with the Republicans who spread lies and misinformation to call out those lies and misinformation. People with enough energy who to take it to the other side in a debate. People who are brave enough to go knock on doors in rural areas and galvanize the people who have given up on the political system. People who aren't afraid to necessarily alienate white voters by calling out racist or veiled racist remarks, yet also draw in those same voters with that same strong energy and messaging. It's not being evil, it's actually taking measures to COUNTERRACT evil. And yeah, you could argue it's kind of like fighting fire with fire, but the country's already a dumpster fire anyway, so maybe it's like putting another dumpster next to the current dumpster on fire, but in a different direction from the car that's spilling gasoline all over the alley? Lol idk.

Those are the lessons that the Democrats need to take away from Virginia.

And, by the way, I agree with the rest of your post, but wanted to give my two cents on the matter as a Virginian myself. :p

So, as of today, the $1.2T infrastructure bill has been signed by President Biden. Now we can finally put that issue to bed and get the needed money out to do what needs to be done for the sake of the country.

On another note, Trump is still fighting to keep the Jan 6 records hidden from the House Committee that is overseeing the insurrection that he caused. It appears to be 136 pages worth of documents that he's desperately trying to keep from being seen. Like his tax returns, the fact he's doing everything he can to hide these means it'll have critical information against him. I just hope the judge that he's appealing to just flatly says "No! Hand it over!" and puts an end to it, as these documents were supposed to be in the House Committee's hands last Friday. His classic stall tactic that drives everyone insane. What else is new...

Yeah, that whole article and crusade just screams "Karens don't want their kids to be taught about basic human decency." Because teaching your kids about tough topics and treating them like people whose feelings are valid is certainly brainwashing, riiiiight? Gag me with a spoon. Plus, calling learning about complicated emotions no better than sexually grooming kids? Are you kidding me? These people have their heads so far up their asses, I feel bad for the kids that they're supposedly "fighting for."

Yeah, that whole article and crusade just screams "Karens don't want their kids to be taught about basic human decency." Because teaching your kids about tough topics and treating them like people whose feelings are valid is certainly brainwashing, riiiiight? Gag me with a spoon. Plus, calling learning about complicated emotions no better than sexually grooming kids? Are you kidding me? These people have their heads so far up their asses, I feel bad for the kids that they're supposedly "fighting for."
My personal theory is that a lot of these parents are worried about their kids telling the schools what happens at home because it would probably result in a visit from CPS.

And they just declared Kyle Rittenhouse not guilty...Are you fucking kidding me? He absolutely was guilty and he had no reason to be in Kenosha in the first place. The people who hailed him as a hero don't deserve the satisfaction. This is the epitome of what white privilege looks like.

The worst part of it is during the next big protest, these far-right agitators will be actively looking for situations where they can "defend themselves."

I think they can overturn this (it wouldn't be the first time for this judge) despite double jeopardy, I think there is a clause that can be made due to judge's attitude during the trial and his overall bias during the trial making him well not a unbiased judge like he's supposed to be.

Though my legal knowledge could use some fact checking. Other wise, when this asshole kid inevitably does this again, I hope the judge gets charged as accomplice since his bias affected most of the jury and made it impossible for the prosecution to do their case.

Yeah, its pretty obvious the judge was biased towards Kyle Rittenhouse. The trial was poorly handled, especially throwing in a judge that is biased and sympathetic to a clearly guilty man. Also, this sets a bad precedent. Because he got away with murder by citing self defense, swiftfox is right. Far-right extremists can easily claim self defense and seek out situations where they can kill and claim self defense.

Last edited:
Screenshot 2021-11-20 at 10-02-31 Respectable Lawyer on Twitter.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom