• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

American Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So....... I don't post in this thread cause I don't follow politics, but I don't think this Ilhan Omar chick is running for president? cue someone coming along to quote the title of the thread again

shakes broom at people
It's true that she's not running for president, however, she, along with the rest of the House, is running for congress in 2020.

Anyway, @Weiss if you keep calling people anti-semitic and marxist then those terms will completely lose all meaning.

Poké Boss said:
Let's ask some more Jews first, before we decide whether she is anti-Semitic or not...

OK

We are Jews who stand with Representative Ilhan Omar.

There is absolutely nothing anti-Semitic about calling out the noxious role of AIPAC (the American Israel Public Affairs Committee), which spends millions each year to buy U.S. political support for Israeli aggression and militarism against the Palestinian people. As the NYC chapter of Jewish Voice for Peace summed up: “Accurately describing how the Israel lobby works in this country is not anti-Semitic. The never-ending smear campaign against Ilhan Omar is racism and Islamophobia in action.”

There is no denying that money rules U.S. politics, and that powerful lobbies from the NRA to the fossil fuel lobby to AIPAC play destructive, anti-democratic roles in our political system, wielding money for legislative influence. The pro-Israel lobby has played an outsized role in producing nearly unanimous congressional support for Israel. It has organized a national campaign to suppress Palestinian activism on campuses, made the Israel Anti-Boycott Act a legislative priority, and for decades has boasted about their power to make or break political careers. To point out this reality is not anti-Semitic.

Genuine anti-Semitism and the growth of white supremacy are indeed growing concerns in Donald Trump’s America. Omar and Tlaib, the first two Muslim congresswomen in this country’s history, are not part of this ugly growth of white supremacy. Instead, they are part of movements which seek to confront it. For that, and for their courageous support of the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) campaign, they are being smeared by a racist and Islamophobic chorus, including the House Democratic leadership itself.

As long as the Israeli state continues to militarily besiege, economically choke, and incessantly dispossess the Palestinian people, and as long as it does so with the full backing of the United States government, we need to speak out against these crimes. We thank Ilhan Omar for having the bravery to shake up the congressional taboo against criticizing Israel. As Jews with a long tradition of social justice and anti-racism, AIPAC does not represent us.

Last edited by a moderator:
i can’t seem to find any good articles on jews against her though. if what she’s saying is in fact anti-semitism then it’s weird that jews don’t seem to agree that it is. we’ve had a jewish member here say she’s not anti-semitic. while an individual does’t represent a whole community it’s still worth listening instead of insisting they’re wrong.

Tulsi killed it at the last debate. Bernie and Liz held their ground on the previous one. Progressivism is seeming to be winning the day and hopefully it'll stay that way.

I wonder if Google will try to sabotage her still now they are getting sued... I’m no Sanders fan but they stole the nomination from him last time and I think they are trying to prevent Gabbard from progressing.

I’ve seen people on Twitter call her a Conservative etc but I don’t understand it. I disagree with her on a lot of stuff; I think she’s for “reparations” for example but she doesn’t seem to be as out there as some others. I really can’t comment on her further as I don’t know her major policies other than ending tech censorship but she seems well put together glad she’s doing well.

I disagree with her on a lot of stuff; I think she’s for “reparations” for example but she doesn’t seem to be as out there as some others.

Tulsi has been fighting to pass H.R. 40, Commission to Study Reparation Proposals for African Americans Act.
The bill suggests that the federal government to undertake an official study of the impact of slavery on the social, political and economic life of our nation.

I don't have any problems with a study on reparations, and I don't see why anyone else should. A study can end up any way. We should strive to be informed about this issue.

Last edited:
Why is criticizing Israel representative of criticizing all Jews? If I say Saudi Arabia is a corrupt absolute monarchy, am I criticizing all Muslims? It sounds, to me, pretty antisemitic to use Israel as representative for all Jews

View: https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1157297812545122304

As another tweet said in response:

The retirements tell me: 1. Trump is harder to defend, 2. GOP doesn't have the $ to make the case relative to Dems, 3. Ds are motivated & have a coalition path, 4. Trump's policies aren't motivating his coalition which means it's about the red meat. Turnout could be an issue.

View: https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1157297812545122304

As another tweet said in response:

The retirements tell me: 1. Trump is harder to defend, 2. GOP doesn't have the $ to make the case relative to Dems, 3. Ds are motivated & have a coalition path, 4. Trump's policies aren't motivating his coalition which means it's about the red meat. Turnout could be an issue.

“In FEC filings closing out 2017, the party appears to be starting the new year $6.1 million dollars in debt, with just $6.5 million in the bank. That leaves the DNC with just $400,000.

Meanwhile, the Republican National Committee has amassed quite a fortune. Their filings show zero debt with nearly $40 million in the bank. “ ~ AoL

The above is just the first hit in Google results but I must ask where are you getting the figures that the Democrats have more money? Several articles I’ve read recently have stated their fund raising is down. It’s why they internally are annoyed at Obama for going AFK he’s good at raising money if nothing else.

“In FEC filings closing out 2017, the party appears to be starting the new year $6.1 million dollars in debt, with just $6.5 million in the bank. That leaves the DNC with just $400,000.

Meanwhile, the Republican National Committee has amassed quite a fortune. Their filings show zero debt with nearly $40 million in the bank. “ ~ AoL

The above is just the first hit in Google results but I must ask where are you getting the figures that the Democrats have more money? Several articles I’ve read recently have stated their fund raising is down. It’s why they internally are annoyed at Obama for going AFK he’s good at raising money if nothing else.

Instead of concentrating on the DNC and RNC, you should also look at the funds raised by individual House candidates.

Dems have so far raised many times more money than their GOP opponents.

Building a daunting moat around the the House Democratic majority, each of the 62 freshmen Democrats has raised more than their top opponent, AP's Alan Fram reports.

It's also true for all 31 Democrats from districts President Trump won in 2016. And for all 39 Democrats who flipped Republican-held seats last November. Those seats are the key GOP pathway to retaking the House.

Last edited:
Hurd’s retirement is a really bad sign for House Republicans. It also means Democrats (for the moment) appear to be in good shape to remain in control of the chamber. The Senate, though, still remains an uphill battle. We need to flip at least 3 seats (4 if Sanders or Warren is the nominee) to get control. Maine and Colorado are the most winnable, but it’s hard to find a path to a majority after that.

Hurd’s retirement is a really bad sign for House Republicans. It also means Democrats (for the moment) appear to be in good shape to remain in control of the chamber. The Senate, though, still remains an uphill battle. We need to flip at least 3 seats (4 if Sanders or Warren is the nominee) to get control. Maine and Colorado are the most winnable, but it’s hard to find a path to a majority after that.

Honestly, I think that turnout will be the decisive factor here. And since Democratic voter turnout tends to be higher during presidential elections than midterms, I think right now the Senate is more in play than last time (the 2018 Senate map was an incredibly uphill battle). Especially if the Dem presidential nominee will be someone who energizes voters even further.

Honestly, I think that turnout will be the decisive factor here. And since Democratic voter turnout tends to be higher during presidential elections than midterms, I think right now the Senate is more in play than last time (the 2018 Senate map was an incredibly uphill battle). Especially if the Dem presidential nominee will be someone who energizes voters even further.
Our chances in 2020 are better for sure; there are almost twice as many Republican seats up for re-election. But other than the two I mentioned earlier, it’s hard to see any definite pickups right now.

Just over half of all Americans think Donald Trump is racist, according to a Quinnipiac University poll, including a majority of people identifying as Independents.

The poll results break down almost predictably along racial and other key demographic lines, USA Today reports, but a clear majority—51 percent—of all Americans told pollsters they think the leader of the free world is a racist.

Another 45 percent said that he is not, while 5 percent said they don’t know.

As CNN notes, it’s an amazing(ly scary) finding, especially when one recognizes that some 50 years ago, when Americans were asked their thoughts about then-presidential wannabe former Alabama Gov. George Wallace, a Harris poll found a smaller proportion of Americans, 41 percent, said he was racist—and he was an open proponent of segregation.

Now, it will probably come as no surprise that how one viewed Trump seemed to be predicated upon one’s demographic, USA Today shared, with clear majorities of blacks (80 percent), Latinos (55 percent), Democrats (86 percent) and women (59 percent) calling the occupant of the Oval Office racist.

However, when it came to those politically coveted Independents, 56 percent called Trump racist, compared with only 38 percent who said he was not.

It's time for Americans to confront the President's irresponsible rhetoric:

At least 20 people were shot dead by a Trump-loving white supremacist in El Paso, Texas on Saturday, placing the 21-year-old suspect’s rampage among the top ten deadliest mass shootings in US history.

The shooter’s motive quickly appeared in the form of a manifesto, which two federal law enforcement officers told CNN they were investigating as belonging to the killer.

“This is a response to the Hispanic invasion,” the suspect allegedly posted online just days before the shooting. He then goes on to accuse the Democratic Party of “pandering to the Hispanic voting bloc,” while also expressing his contempt for “race mixing.”

He also spoke approvingly of President Trump, especially the “send her back” chants directed at Congresswoman Ilhan Omar. And his social media feed was full of MAGA quotes like #BuildtheWall:

It drove home the truth of the matter: This alarming spate of mass casualty terrorist attacks on black churches, synagogues, and mosques didn’t emerge out of a vacuum. They’re the direct result of the President of the United States referring to immigrants, asylum seekers and refugees as “invaders,” “rapists” and “terrorists.”

Trump has normalized overt racism in such a way that genocidal “great replacement” conspiracy theories have moved from the dark corners of the internet into mainstream political discourse, with neo-Nazis coming out from their secret hiding places to march openly in the streets.

It’s for this reason hate crimes against Jews, Muslims, and other minorities have reached unprecedented levels since Trump took office, and it’s for this very reason right-wing extremists are responsible for 100% of terrorist attacks on US soil since the end of 2017, according to the Anti-Defamation League.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom