• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

American Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my exact concern. I don't know just how widespread it is exactly, but I see this everywhere on social media. I really hope they realize that the decision not to vote won't make Biden or Trump go away or won't elect Bernie in.
A lot claimed to be crazy about Bernie but refused to show up to actually vote for him, so I dont have very much faith despite them claiming enthusiasm and their hatred of Trump.

Advice: try to ignore the online left. To steal a quote from Eisenhower, “their numbers are negligible, and they are stupid.”

I watch a lot of statistics lately but no one says some things...

Trump got Corona Virus , Syria and many new Hurricanse.

Bush had 9/11,Iraque, Huricane Katrina...

Obama got Syrian war...

Clinton got war in Iraque , Bosnia and Herzegovina,

diffrent presidents diffrent point of views. But when You judge a president do you judge how he was elected? or do You judge how he managed the economy? Its hars to be a good leader when you dont have support of the whole country and evyrone wants to make you stupid... the all had this problem.

EgOarppWoAImNKf

What's with the fascist aesthetics? They couldn't make it look more ominous even if they'd tried.

I have to watch the RNC because of my job.

My deepest condolences. Hang in there!

Obama got Syrian war...

diffrent presidents diffrent point of views. But when You judge a president do you judge how he was elected? or do You judge how he managed the economy? Its hars to be a good leader when you dont have support of the whole country and evyrone wants to make you stupid... the all had this problem.

Meh. The metrics by which the pre-COVID19 Trump economy was "great" are flawed and speak to largely to the success of the rich and not everyone else. I can't believe there are poor people in this country that buy into the lies of Trump's "great" economy.

Obama got Syrian war...

All those presidents had to deal with hurricanes, not just Trump.

The fact is, problems that happen in the US affects its economy. A president doesn't get to say "Well, I couldn't have predicted that this problem was going to come," because we can all reasonably assume that there's going to be some kind of problem during a president's term, even if we can't predict exactly what. (I honestly don't think any president should get the full credit for economic change, unless we're talking about a specific action like the New Deal, because the economy's also affected by other branches like Congress planning the national budget, and factors outside of government control, like resource shortages/surpluses or the decisions of consumers, but that's another matter)

When this is Trump's initial response to corona:
So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!

Low Ratings Fake News MSDNC (Comcast) & @CNN are doing everything possible to make the Caronavirus look as bad as possible, including panicking markets, if possible. Likewise their incompetent Do Nothing Democrat comrades are all talk, no action. USA in great shape!

And months into the virus, he's saying stuff like this:

THE PRESIDENT: Can you take it off? Because I cannot hear you.

Q I’ll — I’ll just speak louder, sir. The —

THE PRESIDENT: Oh, okay, because you want to be politically correct. Go ahead.

Q No, sir. I just want to wear the mask.

Mike Pence, who’s a phenomenal guy, he’s making the commencement address right now at the Air Force Academy, where they’re being very politically correct. Everyone is standing not 6 feet but 10 feet apart.

And when his "ban on China", by his own admission, let in 40,000 people:
But I had to let them come back. I actually said, “Maybe we could keep them there for a while.” These are American citizens. I had to let them come back, Martha. So we had 40,000 people. Now, when the Democrats said it, “He said he closed the border, but he let 40,000,” they don’t say they were American citizens.

Then the economic problems from Corona were, undoubtedly, made worse by his actions.

(And also- what exactly was so great about the pre-corona economy to begin with?)

Its hars to be a good leader when you dont have support of the whole country and evyrone wants to make you stupid...
Trump hardly needs our help making him look stupid.
Remarks by President Trump in Meeting with Local and State Officials on School Safety said:
Remarks by President Trump at a Salute to America said:
Remarks by President Trump and President Macron of France in Joint Press Conference | Biarritz said:
Remarks by President Trump said:
Remarks by President Trump on the Death of ISIS Leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi said:

A lot claimed to be crazy about Bernie but refused to show up to actually vote for him, so I dont have very much faith despite them claiming enthusiasm and their hatred of Trump.
Not that I'm being skeptical of you, but do you have a source for this?

And I'm trying to not stress over the online left...but it's really hard because some of them are my friends. And also some of them are BIPOC, so I feel like that by ignoring them I would be dismissive to their real-life struggles.

For years Trump complained about Obama playing golf.

Not that I'm being skeptical of you, but do you have a source for this?
A common argument from leftist pundits is their policy ideas represent the overwhelming majority of Americans. Having heard and read about this ad nauseam for the last 5 years and watched the results of the Democratic primary, I feel it’s safe to conclude leftists didn’t bother to vote, greatly overestimated their appeal, or both.

While there are leftists who have expressed refusal to vote because of less-than-ideal candidates, I've also been trying to keep a critical and thorough mindset about lots of things. It's one thing to say that "leftists don't vote", but do we know the exact reasons or obstacles that prevent their vote? Is some of it due to voter suppression (which commonly targets minorities and young people), conflicting schedules because of jobs being too demanding, or other reasons getting in the way?

Maybe this isn't the right thread to discuss this though. I want leftists to vote of course, I'm just...not sure if all of this can be chalked up to "they don't want to vote because lazy or whatever".

Bernie had a lot of online support from young people and he kinda depended on them to push him through the primaries. That didnt happen and he took a huge hit on Super Tuesday, and the rest of the time though he kept on plugging along. He simply didnt get the votes to win,even though others got less and dropped out one by one. Im not saying they didnt because they were lazy,and there probably was quite a lot of voter suppression in some areas, but there were also other reasons they didnt vote for him despite wanting him to have the nomination, supporting Medicare For All and things like that.

I like to imagine it being completely destroyed. It helps me fall asleep.

Trump should have completely destroyed it. But then it turned out that Trump, in all of his awfulness, was what a number of the Republican base wanted.

There are a lot of reasons election night in 2016 destroyed my faith in this nation, that was one of them.

All those presidents had to deal with hurricanes, not just Trump.

The fact is, problems that happen in the US affects its economy. A president doesn't get to say "Well, I couldn't have predicted that this problem was going to come," because we can all reasonably assume that there's going to be some kind of problem during a president's term, even if we can't predict exactly what. (I honestly don't think any president should get the full credit for economic change, unless we're talking about a specific action like the New Deal, because the economy's also affected by other branches like Congress planning the national budget, and factors outside of government control, like resource shortages/surpluses or the decisions of consumers, but that's another matter)

When this is Trump's initial response to corona:
So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!

Low Ratings Fake News MSDNC (Comcast) & @CNN are doing everything possible to make the Caronavirus look as bad as possible, including panicking markets, if possible. Likewise their incompetent Do Nothing Democrat comrades are all talk, no action. USA in great shape!

And months into the virus, he's saying stuff like this:

THE PRESIDENT: Can you take it off? Because I cannot hear you.
Q I’ll — I’ll just speak louder, sir. The —
THE PRESIDENT: Oh, okay, because you want to be politically correct. Go ahead.
Q No, sir. I just want to wear the mask.

Mike Pence, who’s a phenomenal guy, he’s making the commencement address right now at the Air Force Academy, where they’re being very politically correct. Everyone is standing not 6 feet but 10 feet apart.

And when his "ban on China", by his own admission, let in 40,000 people:
But I had to let them come back. I actually said, “Maybe we could keep them there for a while.” These are American citizens. I had to let them come back, Martha. So we had 40,000 people. Now, when the Democrats said it, “He said he closed the border, but he let 40,000,” they don’t say they were American citizens.

Then the economic problems from Corona were, undoubtedly, made worse by his actions.

(And also- what exactly was so great about the pre-corona economy to begin with?)

Trump hardly needs our help making him look stupid.

but what amount of hurricanes, bush fires, earthquakes?

Local state government then want help and money for federal but what did they did to save money or to try to predict events and minimise effects before?

amounts and numbers are important here , bc it affects countries debt and problems a president has later when second term or new president comes...

the same comes to recesions, finacial piramids, bank crisises that were a matter from lack of control from previous govrnments, parties and presidents... Lehman brothers bank crisis was something that happeneds during Clinton, Bush and on begin of Obama term... 2008 revealed but shemes with Murdoch were 20 or 30 years old... Bush senior would fit here too...

did you see economical stats comparing all presidents ?

people complaine about Obamas Debt but forget that big investments come every 70 years and you need to restore cities, buildings, streets and power grids , power facilities, water facilities and other stuff in the country too... also every thing like Obamacare and every social costs...

Private companies and corporations also use presidents and parties to hide their own hidden debts for salaries and other stuff that people forget... crime rates also are important.

Need to check fake news... especially last 3 or 4 presidents affected by that.

People forget that a president can befrom one party, the House and senate can belong to a other , the same with State local govrnments and the taxes and payments are created by federal and state governments together... time by time, when there is the same president 2 terms of office and his party has the House and senat and most local governments it's more easy to see... when comparing presidents in term of office they should also give information how many % ofstates where under what party, house and senat to see the whole full picture how and who affected the economy, crime and other things like homelessness, suiscide statistics and many other important stuff.

also amount of people changed during diffrent presidents... amount of children born and death rates... a good president can be judged after his full term.

Biden was Obama vice president , but would the Obama administration do better here? who really knows? because all people are responsible for themselvs too to some degree during a pandemic... media also have influence here a lot.

Last edited:
Biden was Obama vice president , but would the Obama administration do better here? who really knows? because all people are responsible for themselvs too to some degree during a pandemic... media also have influence here a lot.
Considering the Pandemic Response Team was established under Obama and disbanded by Trump, I think it’s safe to assume that yes they probably would have been more prepared.

did you see economical stats comparing all presidents ?
Let me restate what I said before:
I honestly don't think any president should get the full credit for economic change, unless we're talking about a specific action like the New Deal, because the economy's also affected by other branches like Congress planning the national budget, and factors outside of government control, like resource shortages/surpluses or the decisions of consumers
Unless you can point to specific policies, pulling a stat without context is not a convincing case.

And, dude, you're just pulling random stats here and not even giving them the context. Look at this one:

1598457234519.png
1598457918290.png
"Income gap". That's all the title says. Income gap between who? Men and women? White people and black people? Working class people and CEOs? And these charts only go up to 2012- there's nothing showing what happened in Obama's second term, or what's happened in Trump's term so far. How exactly is that supposed to help us judge Trump in comparison to other presidents?
1598457748587.png
This one isn't even about economics, it's about how often they kept a promise.
1598458084680.png
This is about ethnic diversity in appointing judges. Again, not an economic stat.
1598457986146.png
This is the murder rate. Murder is not a source of income. It has nothing to do with economics. And, again, what policies can you point to that affected this?
people complaine about Obamas Debt but forget that big investments come every 70 years and you need to restore cities, buildings, streets and power grids , power facilities, water facilities and other stuff in the country too... also every thing like Obamacare and every social costs...
I don't think anyone here is complaining about Obama's debt against Trump.
Need to check fake news... especially last 3 or 4 presidents affected by that.
Using a vague reference to "fake news" says nothing. Who is lying? About what? I linked all of my quotes, they are all direct links to his twitter account or whitehouse.gov transcripts. Where's the fake news there?
People forget that a president can befrom one party, the House and senate can belong to a other , the same with State local govrnments and the taxes and payments are created by federal and state governments together... time by time, when there is the same president 2 terms of office and his party has the House and senat and most local governments it's more easy to see... when comparing presidents in term of office they should also give information how many % ofstates where under what party, house and senat to see the whole full picture how and who affected the economy, crime and other things like homelessness, suiscide statistics and many other important stuff.
And yet, you pulled a bunch of statistics to compare presidents, without looking at the whole picture of who affected what.
also amount of people changed during diffrent presidents... amount of children born and death rates...
And adapting to that change is something we should expect a president to do, it's not an excuse for them.
a good president can be judged after his full term.
I don't think Trump can do anything in these next four months that will radically alter what he's done in the prior 3.75 years. And do you really think people can't judge what they see happening in 2016-2020 until Trump's term is completed in 2021? That's not reasonable at all. You even did this yourself, bringing up charts to compare with Trump stats from 2018.
Biden was Obama vice president , but would the Obama administration do better here? who really knows?
I'm certainly willing to hedge my bets on the candidate who says we should wear masks over the candidate who called it "political correctness".
because all people are responsible for themselvs too to some degree during a pandemic...
There are multiple factors in play. You can talk about personal choice and also talk about the fact that Trump said people should "liberate" their states, that the coronavirus was being played up, and that shutting down was worse for the nation, which all lead to people thinking the virus wasn't that bad and making decisions based on that.
media also have influence here a lot.
Again, according to Trump, "media" was taking the virus seriously before he was.

If the media did "everything possible" to make it look bad while Trump claimed the US was in great shape, that's more of a case for listening to news outlets over Trump, not the other way around.

Oh, we can also go by these statements:

View: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1298029780437270530

View: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1276363261957603328

Straight from the horse's mouth: Biden would shut down if necessary, Trump would not. So, yeah, Biden would do better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom