• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

American Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

View: https://twitter.com/AP/status/1320887209956954117?s=19

They've already begun doing Trump's dirty work. The Supreme Court ruled 5-3 against Wisconsin extending their mail in deadline, KNOWING mail has been slower and there will be a large influx of mail in ballots because of the pandemic. This was without the illegitimate justice Amy Coney Barret. This is why I'm extremely worried.

I'm still scared for the election, not because of errors in polling, but because of voter suppression. The whole mail thing was done in plain sight with the real reason spelled out clearly, and somehow nothing could be done about it even still.

Hopefully these suppression tactics don't stop a crushing defeat of the Republicans.

Say they don't work and Biden and the Democrats win thoroughly. While things would doubtlessly be better, I don't have any faith in the Democrats actually doing a thing to remedy the Supreme Court problem. We're talking about the same Democrats who did not employ any tactic whatsoever to delay the most recent nomination. The same Democrats who are planning Republicans in Biden's cabinet because of "bipartisanship". I'm certainly afraid the party won't fight against the Republicans' power grabs.

Anyway, I'm already shuffling to find out what I'm going to do because this nomination. At the very least I need to evacuate to a blue state. =/

Say they don't work and Biden and the Democrats win thoroughly. While things would doubtlessly be better, I don't have any faith in the Democrats actually doing a thing to remedy the Supreme Court problem. We're talking about the same Democrats who did not employ any tactic whatsoever to delay the most recent nomination. The same Democrats who are planning Republicans in Biden's cabinet because of "bipartisanship". I'm certainly afraid the party won't fight against the Republicans' power grabs.

When the Republican base got angry over 10 years ago at how timid GOP politicians were (supposedly) in the face of Obama's rise, they launched the Tea Party movement and primaried every "RINO" they could find (real or imagined) until they molded the GOP into our current far-right christo-fascist cult. It's obvious that applying the same strategy by the left is the only way how to get the Dems to act more aggressively in congress. What I mean is that we need more people like AOC to win seats:

View: https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1320883278476398595

As the pressure from the left on the Democratic party increases, even those who would normally avoid open conflict with Republicans will be forced to act:

Democrats are facing calls from their base to enact rules changes and broad systemic reforms after President Trump, who lost the popular vote in 2016, was able to put three justices on the bench, in part because Republicans refused to give Merrick Garland, former President Obama's final nominee, a hearing or a vote in 2016.

Several Democratic senators warned as part of the chamber’s debate over Barrett that Republicans have lost the right to kvetch if Democrats win back the majority and change the rules. Republicans nixed the filibuster in 2017 for Supreme Court nominees and reduced the debate time in 2019 for lower court and executive picks.
[...]
Sen. Angus King (I-Maine), long viewed as a key swing vote on the issue, hinted during the Senate's debate that he was open to expanding the Supreme Court, noting that the number of justices is not inscribed in the Constitution.

“Oh, no! Somebody is talking about breaking the rules and packing the court. Well, of course, Article 3 of the Constitution doesn't establish how many members of the Supreme Court there should be,” King said.

Last edited:
I was sure Trump would lose one or two weeks ago, but I really get freaked out when I see some mention Republicans leading in early voting in states like Florida and Pennsylvania. Just how? How is it even possible? Seriously every passing day I get more and more scared we'll have to sit through four more years of hate, division, conspiracies, lies, blatant corruption, and this general toxicity.

Last edited:
I was sure Trump would lose one or two weeks ago, but I really get freaked out when I see some mention Republicans leading in early voting in states like Florida and Pennsylvania. Just how? How is it even possible? Seriously every passing day I get more and more scared we'll have to sit through four more years of hate, division, conspiracies, lies, blatant corruption, and this general toxicity.

Honestly, if it's causing you so much anxiety, then it would be better for your mental health to just disconnect from political news until after election day. Only one week remains now. Go play games or watch movies and stop following polls. As long as you've voted you've done your duty and there's no reason to torture yourself every day by stressing about the latest polls.

I remain much more optimistic than back during 2016. And the polls so far agree with me.

Last edited:

View: https://twitter.com/politics_polls/status/1320698523030032384?s=21

Where I live, we are hosting a super spreader, tonight.

- UPDATE
it is running 2 -1/2 hours behind
rofl

Last edited:
F8BCD249-BEB3-4004-B1F2-AEA868AB9B14.png

I’m a little disappointed my alma mater is only B/C rated pollster on FiveThirtyEight, especially since I did some polling as an undergrad.

The crowds didn’t fully clear the rally site until after 12:30 a.m. — more than 3½ hours after Trump departed — Sanderford reported.

The joy of living in a red state.

It was pretty hysterical when he did the hate rally in my state. My state is a solid red state, literally no one's campaigning here normally. Yet Trump chose to host his first rally here, and hardly anyone showed up. The video footage of him looking defeated heading back in DC was priceless. I hope we get a repeat of that in a week.

It's absolutely ridiculous that Trump would be able to declare a victory when tons and tons of determining votes haven't even been counted. But given the way that Trump and the Republicans have done things, it is completely expected, and it would be completely expected that they'd somehow get away with it, too.

Boy if that happens, I think I'll be at the last straw. I know it's cliche to say "If so-and-so wins I'm going to leave the country", but really, the nomination of Barrett is already enough to push me over that line.

Anyway, I really hope there is no red mirage and that there's minimal drama.

Anyway, I really hope there is no red mirage and that there's minimal drama.
You (probably) won’t get your wish. The red mirage will happen simply because of how PA, MI and WI count votes - WI and PA don’t start processing mail ballots until Election Day morning, and MI starts the day before. That means Trump will get a head start in those states while Biden gains on him throughout the night. Conversely, TX, GA and FL start tabulating mail votes weeks in advance, Which means Biden should be up early there before Trump starts making up ground.

"The Covid-19 pandemic is ravaging our country right now, with over 220,000 people dead and counting. If you get re-elected, what are you planning to do about it?"
"Nothing. It'll take care of itself."

Remember, that was what Herbert Hoover said back in the Great Depression...and look where it got him.

This is extremely good news, as the infusion of more progressive Democrats into congress will increase the pressure on more moderate ones and also on Biden to pass a more progressive agenda, instead of the same old centrist half-measures, to deal with current socioeconomic issues.

At least 2 counties in Pennsylvania won’t begin counting mail ballots until Wednesday. Gee, I wonder why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom