• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

American Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah... Consolidating at a very strategic time. I just wish the worst case scenario of them all, Bloomberg, would be one of the first to go.

I don't know how to feel about anything anymore. I just hope whoever gets the nomination, people will get out and vote no matter what. Trump and his Supreme Court nominations are way too dangerous.

Yeah... Consolidating at a very strategic time. I just wish the worst case scenario of them all, Bloomberg, would be one of the first to go.

I don't know how to feel about anything anymore. I just hope whoever gets the nomination, people will get out and vote no matter what. Trump and his Supreme Court nominations are way too dangerous.
Bloomberg at this point is draining votes from Biden. We need that right now.

I’m not sure how effective Biden’s endorsements will be. All of the polls have shown there’s no real anti-Bernie vote among the Democratic electorate. Of course, if there is a big payoff, it’s a perfect example of why it’s better to build bridges rather than burn them.
I just hope whoever gets the nomination, people will get out and vote no matter what. Trump and his Supreme Court nominations are way too dangerous.
Yes! I’m not really enthusiastic about Biden, as I’ve made clear, and I’ve really fallen out of love with Sanders. But I’ll vote for either of them without a second thought in November for that reason. And it’s not just SCOTUS, a second Trump term would mean handing over the entire federal judiciary to the Republicans for the rest of our lives.

Last edited:
Well, America has spoken. I think if this were merely a result of the DNC strategy of consolidation, Biden would have ended up being viable in states, meanwhile Sanders would still be leading. Instead, Biden has taken many states.

Bernie or Busters need to get it through their heads right now: The harm that another four years of Trump presidency would do is very real, and Biden would, while not be anywhere near ideal, still be better. Think of the courts. Think of minorities. Please. I beg of you.

The primaries did not end last night. 2/3 of delegates are still up for grabs, and it is coalescing into a two-person race. Don’t count your chickens before they hatch.

I’ve seen this article making the rounds since Tuesday night. One part really stood out.

“He’s counting on winning Iowa and New Hampshire, where he was already surprisingly strong in 2016, and hoping that Cory Booker and Kamala Harris will split the black electorate in South Carolina and give him a path to slip through there, too. And then, Sanders aides believe, he’ll easily win enough delegates to put him into contention at the convention. They say they don’t need him to get more than 30 percent to make that happen.”

If their plan really was to win with just 30 percent, that’s just mind blowing stupidity.

6 states voting tonight. Biden's expanded his lead to 96 delegates as late Super Tuesday votes come in. Historically speaking, that's getting close to the point of no return. Bernie needs a miracle tonight, or it really is over for him.

Bernie kept things tight enough in enough places that he has a few weeks left in him, and I think he should run until the convention to force concessions on the platform and certain appointments, but Biden is now the presumptive nominee.

Bernie kept things tight enough in enough places that he has a few weeks left in him, and I think he should run until the convention to force concessions on the platform and certain appointments, but Biden is now the presumptive nominee.
I don’t know if staying in for the long haul is tenable for Bernie. There’s a real chance Biden wins all of the remaining states fairly comfortably, including 30+ point blowouts in Illinois, Florida and Georgia over the next 2 weeks. Does Bernie really want to endure that kind of humiliation?

Also, as I’m typing this, Biden just took the lead in Washington.

I don’t know if staying in for the long haul is tenable for Bernie. There’s a real chance Biden wins all of the remaining states fairly comfortably, including 30+ point blowouts in Illinois, Florida and Georgia over the next 2 weeks. Does Bernie really want to endure that kind of humiliation?
It’s not about winning - the reason Bernie stayed in in 2016, besides the very real possibility Hillary would be indicted, was to gain influence on the party platform. That’s a valid strategy, and ensures his voters - who the Democrats NEED to turn out in november - from being told to go fuck themselves by the Democratic establishment.

I think Bernie will go to the convention and I think he should. Its distressing to see he's not getting the support in the primaries though. Like there seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for him but its not translating into actual votes which is frustrating and disappointing.

Im fearing more and more that Trump is getting a second term at this point. I honestly see people who dont like Joe Biden just not voting in November.

I think Bernie will go to the convention and I think he should. Its distressing to see he's not getting the support in the primaries though. Like there seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for him but its not translating into actual votes which is frustrating and disappointing.

Biden appeals to over 40 voters. Bernie appeals to under 40 voters. Older voters usually vote. Hopefully young voters will go vote in the general election in this stressful year.

Biden appeals to over 40 voters. Bernie appeals to under 40 voters. Older voters usually vote. Hopefully young voters will go vote in the general election in this stressful year.
They absolutely will not vote for Joe Biden. I cannot stress enough how little enthusiasm young voters have for him. With how difficult voting is for young people, very few of them will consider it worth the trouble just to vote for a man they despise anyway.

To be blunt, Bernie's run a bad campaign. His message seemed to be geared toward the Very Online crowd, and that's just not where the Democratic base is.
He also made a ton of strategic blunders (the aforementioned "win with 30%" plan, not campaigning in the South, not making inroads with black voters) and some really silly unforced errors (the Castro thing).

Im fearing more and more that Trump is getting a second term at this point. I honestly see people who dont like Joe Biden just not voting in November.

Reasons for optimism (it's from last Friday).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkEvb_Owliw

Last edited:
Is it just me, or is Bernie performing worse than he did in 2016?

He's now lost to Biden even in states where he previously defeated Clinton.

Yup. I was really expecting Sanders to pull this through considering the states he won in 2016, but he went on to lose pretty much all of them, including my state.

I said earlier on in this election cycle that Sanders probably shouldn't even run this time, because his time was over. I should have stuck with that assumption instead of switching to the optimism I had above before Super Tuesday. I like the man, I wish he would get the nomination, and I wish he would beat Trump and become the president, but that's just not going to happen. And his strident supporters continuing to bombard Biden, creating this overwhelming atmosphere of anti-Biden sentiment in general online is really peeving me.

I didn't want Biden. I don't know why America chose him. Especially in these times where a lot of us are struggling in ways that someone more progressive like Sanders could help with, but that's what happened. But I'll just say what should be obvious: Sanders supporters continuing to attack Biden at this point are now attacking the Democratic nominee. It's not Biden versus Sanders anymore. Now it's Biden versus Trump.

All of the Bernie or Busters saying that Biden can't beat Trump. This overbearing anti-Biden atmosphere they're creating is going to make that a self-fulfilling prophecy and I will never forgive them because another four years of Trump would be devastating.

(And trust me, I do hate this, because Biden should be criticized... I just think there's a better way to go about it? I don't know. I don't know how to handle this, but I most certainly don't think that the Bernie or Busters are doing it the right way).

It’s not just you. In the states that have already voted, Bernie’s running between 30 and 40% behind his 2016 numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom