• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

American Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My family and I are signed up for absentee ballots for the rest of this year. Both because of the virus and also because I don't have much stamina to stand for too long if there is a line. Very glad this option is still around, despite what Trump wants.

I really don't know who I can vote for. My dad is adamant that we vote for Biden because according to him, he'll actually undo the damage Trump did to the US, but wasn't Biden accused of sexual harassment once earlier this year? Same with Bernie Sanders. I don't want to make a huge decision and then wind up regretting it later.

I don't know if I'll vote by mail or at the actual polls. If the coronavirus doesn't suddenly spike again, I'll probably go to the actual polls. If it does, which I seriously hope not cause my state has actually done a great job fighting it, I'll vote by mail. You know though that Trump is gonna do everything in his power to stop voting in by mail because of his absurd belief that its easier to cheat that way.

I really don't know who I can vote for. My dad is adamant that we vote for Biden because according to him, he'll actually undo the damage Trump did to the US, but wasn't Biden accused of sexual harassment once earlier this year? Same with Bernie Sanders. I don't want to make a huge decision and then wind up regretting it later.
When it comes to Biden v Trump, it's about who's more impeachable, IMO. Trump has a whole cult of personality around him and already had one impeachment trial where he was acquitted, and is so rarely held accountable for anything. Biden's already hated by all of Trump's base and plenty of people outside of it- when wrongdoings surface with him (and I believe it's when, not if), he's more likely to be removed from office because he'll actually face scrutiny. Obviously the ideal is "no sexual abuser in the White House ever", but when forced between the two, I think it's best to pick the one easiest to remove.

With Sanders, I think you might be mistaken- the only thing I can find relating to him and sexual assault is that some of his campaign staff were sexually harassed by coworkers. It's still a horrible thing, but a step above the low bar we're getting in November. (Unless some miracle switches Biden for a better candidate)

This really isn't the time to be a single issue voter. The US won't survive another four years of Trump.

I do share your concerns with Biden. Trust me, from the very beginning I was like "Please not Biden", because I didn't want us to have to choose between two men who don't understand the boundaries of women/children. I've had personal experiences with that before and it make me very uncomfortable, so I get it.

BUT sadly that's just where we are, and it doesn't change the fact that Trump is the worst by a long shot. He has tons of allegations and he BRAGGED about being able to sexually assault women because he had the power to get away with it. His base not only doesn't hold him accountable for these actions, but they worship him, and I do believe without any doubt that a portion of his base don't just look away from it, but actually think it makes him better.

We're dealing with a case of two evils, but the case of who is the better and who is the worse evil is clear as day. Trump has everything listed above PLUS:
  • He makes a spectacle of himself every single day,
  • He supports military intervention to "shoot up" protestors, looters, etc. Peaceful protesters have faced tear gassing and rubber bullets just so he could go get a stupid photo shoot with a Bible.
  • He fails to condemn neo-Nazi's (and they do support him)
  • He sucks up to dictators - who knows what is really going on behind the scenes.
  • He wants to destroy the Affordable Care Act (he just sent a motion to the Supreme Court), while our health care desperately needs to be improved not rolled back.
  • He panders to the rich, and thinks the economy is "strong" when the rich are happy, no matter the disparity everyone else faces.
  • He is anti-science, which has contributed to him mishandling the COVID-19 pandemic horribly, cutting funding for important agencies and rules that keep us safe, removing us from the Paris Climate Agreement, etc.
  • He has put completely incompetent and/or corrupt people in cabinet positions whose goals are to undermine what they're supposed to be improving (Betsy DeVos in the Department of Education).
  • His stupid wall is barreling over historical sites, butterfly sanctuaries, etc. Also, the wall is being funded by funding that was never supposed to go to it.
  • He is a complete and total crook that gets away with everything he does, because the Republican senate will not hold him accountable.
  • He and his administration have made it their duty from the very beginning to undermine LGBT rights, especially for transgender people. Most recently, allowing medical providers and carers to deny care to LGBT people, just for being LGBT.
  • His Supreme Court nominations are extremely dangerous. Remember Kavanaugh? Another four years of Trump would inevitably lead to a severely stacked court, which would end any of the rulings like the one we had a couple of weeks ago on LGBT right to work.
  • He panders to the worst of the worst. The Religious Right, the Confederate sympathizers who want to erase history, etc.
And I'm sure others could add to this. Biden still has a heck of a lot of issues, but it is essential that he gets elected (and also that the Senate flips blue). This sinking ship needs to be patched up or we're all going to sink.

I do share your concerns with Biden. Trust me, from the very beginning I was like "Please not Biden", because I didn't want us to have to choose between two men who don't understand the boundaries of women/children. I've had personal experiences with that before and it make me very uncomfortable, so I get it.

BUT sadly that's just where we are, and it doesn't change the fact that Trump is the worst by a long shot. He has tons of allegations and he BRAGGED about being able to sexually assault women because he had the power to get away with it. His base not only doesn't hold him accountable for these actions, but they worship him, and I do believe without any doubt that a portion of his base don't just look away from it, but actually think it makes him better.

We're dealing with a case of two evils, but the case of who is the better and who is the worse evil is clear as day. Trump has everything listed above PLUS:
  • He makes a spectacle of himself every single day,
  • He supports military intervention to "shoot up" protestors, looters, etc. Peaceful protesters have faced tear gassing and rubber bullets just so he could go get a stupid photo shoot with a Bible.
  • He fails to condemn neo-Nazi's (and they do support him)
  • He sucks up to dictators - who knows what is really going on behind the scenes.
  • He wants to destroy the Affordable Care Act (he just sent a motion to the Supreme Court), while our health care desperately needs to be improved not rolled back.
  • He panders to the rich, and thinks the economy is "strong" when the rich are happy, no matter the disparity everyone else faces.
  • He is anti-science, which has contributed to him mishandling the COVID-19 pandemic horribly, cutting funding for important agencies and rules that keep us safe, removing us from the Paris Climate Agreement, etc.
  • He has put completely incompetent and/or corrupt people in cabinet positions whose goals are to undermine what they're supposed to be improving (Betsy DeVos in the Department of Education).
  • His stupid wall is barreling over historical sites, butterfly sanctuaries, etc. Also, the wall is being funded by funding that was never supposed to go to it.
  • He is a complete and total crook that gets away with everything he does, because the Republican senate will not hold him accountable.
  • He and his administration have made it their duty from the very beginning to undermine LGBT rights, especially for transgender people. Most recently, allowing medical providers and carers to deny care to LGBT people, just for being LGBT.
  • His Supreme Court nominations are extremely dangerous. Remember Kavanaugh? Another four years of Trump would inevitably lead to a severely stacked court, which would end any of the rulings like the one we had a couple of weeks ago on LGBT right to work.
  • He panders to the worst of the worst. The Religious Right, the Confederate sympathizers who want to erase history, etc.
And I'm sure others could add to this. Biden still has a heck of a lot of issues, but it is essential that he gets elected (and also that the Senate flips blue). This sinking ship needs to be patched up or we're all going to sink.
Unfortunately, this election is yet again, picking the lesser of two evils, and Biden wins in that by a looooooong shot. I was here hoping Bernie Sanders or Amy Klobachar could have secured the nomination, but we're stuck with Joe Biden, who I will gladly put up with more than this absolute monster we have right now. He is flawed, but he is not an absolute monster like Trump.

Also to add on to your list of negatives, let's not forget his cruel stance on immigration. His attack on DACA and the Zero Tolerance Policy, which cruely separated immigrant children from their parents and locked them away in cages.

Also I feel like this fits into your first point, but his character is absolutely unfit for office. He's racist and panders to white supremacists and the religious right. His ego is too large and unchecked, leaving him to constantly brag about himself, even during this pandemic. He's unbelievably petty and can't handle any form of criticism, leading to him resorting to childish name calling and dismissing anything as "fake news". He sits there actively fighting the press, calling them the enemy of the people. He shows absolutely no compassion and has shown he's not a uniter at all during the Black Lives Matter movement. And let's not forget he thinks he's above the law and has even done impeachable acts such as holding a quid pro quo against the Ukraine unless they investigated Biden and his son.

Some of that probably goes along with your other points, but the point is, he is clearly the greater of two evils by a long shot.

this thread is most likely not piff so I'm gonna skip over it. All I know is that if Big T wins again, all hell is gonna break loose. Might have to get my Ghanaian citizenship quickly. If he somehow loses (or dies somehow) all hell is gonna break loose. It's a lose lose for everyone. Might wanna get a gün license kiddies, regardless of political stance.

That is not accurate.

to be fair, with the way Reade's story was reported on (which created a lot of skepticism of her) alongside the absolute pummeling of the economy + the coronavirus + Trump sucking up the rest of the news media attention, i just don't think people really gave Reade's story a whole lot of thought without actual solid, concrete evidence. she's still to this day the only person to accuse Joe Biden of sexual assault, and the perhaps sad reality is that when you're throwing accusations of sexual assault against a powerful figure, you need more than the account of a single person for the public to that seriously, especially with how cloudy Reade's story is.

the tl;dr of all this is that it's really just a big "he said, she said", with Biden's former staffers corroborating his side of the story, with not many (as far as im aware?) supporting Reade. multiple news outlets interviewed a gazillion former biden staffers and the consistent finding is that they don't recall things the way Reade describes. maybe something new would come out of this but each and every time it's been reported on, more questions arise than answers and i feel like the court of public opinion is busy being too fixated on whatever Trump's next hissy-fit is (among other things) than Reade.

Last edited:
What frustrates me most about the Reade saga are the people who first broke and aggressively promoted her accusations: How The Left-Wing Media Botched The Tara Reade Story

The whole thing was a master class in what not to do in journalism. So for any aspiring reporters reading this thread right now, don't do that stuff.

@colours summed up the rest well enough, so I think I can leave it at that.

The US won't survive another four years of Trump.

Quite frankly, the entire planet won't.

We have 10 years left to fix the climate before we are literally doomed. We cannot afford to piss away half of that time.

Vote Biden in now so we can live to vote him out later. And even if you can't stomach voting for Biden himself in the hopes of stemming the looming climate apocalypse, I still must implore everyone who is able, to please please vote for a Democratic Senate. The Republicans in Washington have established themselves as a denialist death cult. Allowing them to retain power will put us irreversibly on the fast track to extinction.

Last edited:
If he retired, let's just wait and see how hypocritical Mitch McConnell will act when he inevitably tries to scramble to get another judge in.

About that...

“Should a Supreme Court justice die [in 2020], what will your position be on filling that spot?” the attendee asked.

After a pause, McConnell answered, “Oh, we’d fill it.”

Triggering laughter from the audience, he added that doing so would be the best way to ensure a “long-lasting positive impact” in the U.S. and that following the law is “the most important thing we’ve done in the country.”

They were already showing their hypocrisy during the Kavanaugh time when they were crying that any delaying of the Kavanaugh process whatsoever was uncalled for. (I wish I could remember what exactly was said)

I'm really sick and tired of the Republicans getting away with everything they want. They play by no rules, and there seems to be no one to protect us from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom