• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

American Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't make too much out of that. I'm sure all the outlets have something written up for each possibility. That said, I do think Harris is the favorite; there's too much smoke for there not to be fire at this point.

Harris has now been confirmed as the VP candidate.

Harris has now been confirmed as the VP candidate.
Figures it happens while the site is under maintenance. Also, FiveThirtyEight (finally) released their election forecast model today; it has Biden with a 71% chance of winning in November.

Figures it happens while the site is under maintenance. Also, FiveThirtyEight (finally) released their election forecast model today; it has Biden with a 71% chance of winning in November.

Before anyone starts freaking out about the polls also showing Hillary winning back in 2016:

• But wait! Should you even trust the polls? Hillary Clinton led in the polls in 2016, right? Yes. But Clinton had only a small advantage in most surveys — Trump’s win was well within the range of normal polling error.
  • As elections analyst Geoffrey Skelley wrote last week, Biden’s lead over Trump has already topped Clinton’s post-convention peak. Biden also enjoys more overall support than Clinton. In other words, there’s a genuine difference between Biden’s position now and Clinton’s four years ago.

Welp. Kamala Harris is confirmed to be Biden's VP pick. I kinda hoped he didn't pick her. She certainly could bring more energy to this campaign and I think she supports M4A and the Green New Deal, and there's no dount she'll tear Trump and Pence to shreds. We can't ignore her past records on criminal prosecution though, which is a thing that bugs me.

71% chance is still way too darn low. I don't know what I'm going to do if we have to deal with another four years of this...
They’re saying it would be 93% if the election were held today, and the reason the November odds are lower is because of “uncertainties.” If there’s no meaningful change in the polls as the election gets closer, the “uncertainties” will fade and Biden’s chances will go up.

He doesn't want people to vote, because he knows that a low turnout increases his chances of winning. If there's a high turnout, he's toast, because a significant majority do not like him.

He doesn't want people to vote, because he knows that a low turnout increases his chances of winning. If there's a high turnout, he's toast, because a significant majority do not like him.

Trump's latest attempt to screw over the USPS is already blowing up in the media. Lawsuits are already threatened, since the postal service is actually part of the constitution.

Trump is a colossal moron for even trying this. Voting is only a minor part of what the USPS does. Almost everyone, including Republicans, relies on USPS for many things and will not be happy that they can't, for example, get their social security checks or pay their bills

It’s up to you how you want to vote. I personally wouldn’t risk my ballot not being delivered on time (not that I have a choice, my state only allows in-person voting). If you decide on voting in-person, make sure you take every possible precaution, and vote early if your state allows it.

Mini vent incoming?

Even if the USPS wasn't threatened, I am honestly dreading the election because I have the sinking feeling that Trump is still going to win. I hear a lot of people's grievances with Joe Biden and Kamala Harris. Now I agree that they're far from great people and have done some really bad things before and that they're not the most progressive out there. It's possible that a Biden administration will keep the status quo and not enact real change that the US desperately needs. But my concern is that people will refuse to go out and vote because the Democratic choice is Biden, which would only secure Trump another four years in office. I'm basically fearing a repeat of what happened during the 2016 election. And month by month, I feel like that fear is growing more real.

...All this on top of a full-blown pandemic and Republicans deliberately trying to suppress votes... As if it didn't need to be made more complicated.

If me wanting the lesser-of-the-two-evils in office makes me a centralist neoliberal, then so be it. I just don't think the US, and the world at large, can survive another four years of the current administration.

I hate to say this but I've already given up at this point.

But my concern is that people will refuse to go out and vote because the Democratic choice is Biden, which would only secure Trump another four years in office.

I'm not convinced that the average American is progressive enough to find the Biden/Harris ticket so offensively establishment that it warrants protesting, and the scandalous narratives around Hillary were a lot more prominent and entrenched in the media than any of the issues I've seen people take with Biden or Harris's records. (I mean, I wish Americans were so progressive as to reject Biden, but hey, right now, if banal centrism that can be worked on later is what it takes to dislodge an imminently destructive fascist, I'll take what I can get.)

My concern is pretty fully on the Republicans' snarling chimera of mail sabotage, polling site closure, gerrymandered districts, voter roll purges, refusal to take precautions against Russian cyber-interference, and so on being unleashed in the middle of a pandemic.

My concern is pretty fully on the Republicans' snarling chimera of mail sabotage, polling site closure, gerrymandered districts, voter roll purges, refusal to take precautions against Russian cyber-interference, and so on being unleashed in the middle of a pandemic.
Are we still talking about the US? Because if it is, I'm frickin' disturbed. With the exception of the pandemic part, I have seen all of this before, and it doesn't end pretty.

I'm not convinced that the average American is progressive enough to find the Biden/Harris ticket so offensively establishment that it warrants protesting,
That's pretty much the only hope I have at this point. But again, with all the obstacles facing this election--from voter suppression, pandemic, and the waves of loyal "Make America Great Again" Republicans still out there--I feel like the only way Trump could be defeated is if every Democrat banded together for the common goal. And that doesn't look likely to happen.

And if he is defeated, there's still the all too likelihood that he will refuse to concede defeat and cause chaos.

I really want to be proven wrong though. I desperately want to be proven wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom