• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

American Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We absolutely do not owe it to the McCain family. Arizona flipping was due to a concerted effort from Latine and Native American activists, and it is indulting to them to credit their work to a dead Republican.
I'm sure the McCain family had a non-zero effect on the outcome, but, yeah, we shouldn't overstate it. (And as much as I respected John McCain, I don't know if I can ever forgive him for bringing Sarah Palin into our worlds)

He's now realized what he actually said and is backpedaling furiously.

View: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1327979630477922304

Stuff like this is why I wish I could punch him in the face. This is why Twitter needs to ban him right away instead of simply slapping a disclaimer on his tweets,. I'm so sick of these lies and misinformation. I'm sick of false accusations, despite homeland security saying this has been the most secure election we've ever had. I'm so sick of him encouraging America's toxic masculinity incarnates, the Proud Boys. I'm so sick of him living in this blind fantasy world where the world revolves around him. I've never seen anything like this before in American history and its disgusting. He lost. Period. He is probably the biggest sore loser in American history. January 20th can't come soon enough.

Last edited:
I wonder what they are going to teach the future kids about him...

Excuse me for quoting myself, but I still think this should be done. (also, 5 pages ago and 6 days ago on Monday western hemisphere time, huh)

In the same way we look down upon those who enabled 20th century dictators like him, I hope future historians judge these politicians harshly once the Trump administration leaves living memory. I hope those years are regarded as a dark era in American history. Never again.

Ah yes, I forgot to mention soon to be former President Trump yesterday.

I still believe we need a repository for every thing he's publicly said, and a way to indicate veracity of major statements, (maybe with small footnotes explaining why any mistruths are mistruths?) Translated into major languages around the world. Archived in the Library of Congress, for enduring proof of the types of government official and political person that he was. (I suppose this particular hypothetical implementation with the footnotes and translations wouldn't go to Library of Congress, but oh well. Archived in other places)

For historians, political operators, and general public. We don't need any otherwise clear-minded apologists now, or twenty years later, or centuries later.

I would agree that this would be useful for people's he's worked with, too.

My 700+ page doc of quotes might finally have some use. (Sure didn't help trying to talk people out of voting for him...)

My 700+ page doc of quotes might finally have some use. (Sure didn't help trying to talk people out of voting for him...)

Woah, do you actually have that? That seems like it would be useful to search and quote from.
(I definitely do not have the patience and industry to gather all those myself and keep it some degree of collated)

Nate Silver with the third-degree burn.
334C8E95-0FD0-45BE-8BB1-E81682521FC3.jpeg

Woah, do you actually have that? That seems like it would be useful to search and quote from.
(I definitely do not have the patience and industry to gather all those myself and keep it some degree of collated)
Sure, here you are!

A few warnings on this-
  • It's not 700 pages of different quotes, since my goal was to pull quotes demonstrating a reason against him, so some quotes are recorded multiple times. (For example, "nobody knows what a community college is" is filed under "Ignorance" and also a subsection under "A Voice for the Working Class" to show that he's not all in touch in working class people like he claims) There's also some sections at the end for general opinions about Trump (like how plenty of people hated him before he ran for office, or how I don't think literally every bad thing said about him is fair criticism), to deflect from points like "You just hate him because of his politics so you'll agree with anything bad about him"
  • I wrote this with the intent of using it on conservative family, so there's some issues that I skipped over because conservatives don't care about them, like climate change and transphobia.
  • GDrive started complaining about file space, so there's some places where I used screenshots (like when he quote-tweeted someone), so those won't come up in a Ctrl+F search. (They should be easy to find with the headings, though)
  • This isn't totally finished, there's a few spots here and there where quotes aren't sorted by time, where I don't have links formatted right, etc. (Partly because I was banking on certain sections being enough and partly because I didn't want to keep working on it so much after the election ) It's also not totally comprehensive, but, I mean, that'd be pretty hard to manage, haha.

Nate Silver with the third-degree burn.
View attachment 137697

And it's funny, because the results of the election (in terms of which states turned blue and which didn't) didn't veer too far off from what I remember monitoring the polls. I always came under the impression that states like Florida and North Carolina were toss-ups, not clearly going to go for Biden. Now if Wisconsin, Michigan, or Pennsylvania had gone for Trump, that would have been a major error in the polls.

It still is significant that the margins were smaller than we had thought they were going to be. Biden was favored quite strongly in WI, but didn't win it by much. But the polling still indicated which states were really likely to go for Biden, and Biden won, as predicted. So... It's a weird thing to make a big deal about. But this is Trump Jr.

Sure, here you are!
[ [_https URL link_] ]

A few warnings on this-
  • It's not 700 pages of different quotes, since my goal was to pull quotes demonstrating a reason against him, so some quotes are recorded multiple times. (For example, [...]) There's also some sections at the end for general opinions about Trump (like how plenty of people hated him before he ran for office, or how I don't think literally every bad thing said about him is fair criticism), to deflect from points like "You just hate him because of his politics so you'll agree with anything bad about him"
  • I wrote this with the intent of using it on conservative family, so there's some issues that I skipped over because conservatives don't care about them, like climate change and transphobia.
  • GDrive started complaining about file space, so there's some places where I used screenshots (like when he quote-tweeted someone), so those won't come up in a Ctrl+F search. (They should be easy to find with the headings, though)
  • This isn't totally finished, there's a few spots here and there where quotes aren't sorted by time, where I don't have links formatted right, etc. [...]

TechSkyLander, this is incredible. : o
Thank you for sharing the document, with the notes and considerations above (which i quoted and also truncated for my quote).

At least 700 pages, and nominally 263k words. quotes, with dates, and links (to direct twitter post, White House briefings site, and some other places), and as you said, some quotes too long, quoted instead as screen-captures, still sorted (images are helpful, too).

I don't think I will directly use it much, but who knows, I may be referencing it in the next month, or year, or years from now.

That's a good amount of work, and it's good to know something like this exists. That's cool that you did this, and thanks again for sharing.

(re: Nate Silver, I'm going to assume his profile pic is promoting a book on statistics, predictions, and information theory in practice;
and I'm remembering now that I already saw that on the 538 website before, and/or from previous twitter posts from Nate Silver. Oops.)

And it's funny, because the results of the election (in terms of which states turned blue and which didn't) didn't veer too far off from what I remember monitoring the polls. I always came under the impression that states like Florida and North Carolina were toss-ups, not clearly going to go for Biden. Now if Wisconsin, Michigan, or Pennsylvania had gone for Trump, that would have been a major error in the polls.

It still is significant that the margins were smaller than we had thought they were going to be. Biden was favored quite strongly in WI, but didn't win it by much. But the polling still indicated which states were really likely to go for Biden, and Biden won, as predicted. So... It's a weird thing to make a big deal about. But this is Trump Jr.

Aulos, you are quite right. (I'm not statistically savvy myself, mind...) FiveThirtyEight in particular has been very good about getting their numbers well analysed. Obviously, statistics is a critical subject and also very easy to mess up or skew one way or another. But 538 was reasonable even in the 2016 US presidential election.

Have to share this.

1605584217280.png

Last edited:
For incoming 46th President's actions-
A lot of work in a lot of areas-

(I'm forgetting if someone already shared this before, apologies for that, but re-sharing is still worthwhile:
NPR 2020-11-09 article)

Copypasted section titles:

What Biden says he'll do on Day 1 or beforehand

- COVID-19: Assemble a coronavirus task force during his presidential transition
- COVID-19: Push for immediate coronavirus legislation
- COVID-19: Release a vaccine distribution plan
- COVID-19: Listen to science by rejoining WHO and keeping Fauci as a close adviser

- Economy: Reverse Trump's corporate tax cut

- Environment: Make the U.S. an international leader on climate change

- Racial equity: Extend the Voting Rights Act

- Immigration: Comprehensive immigration changes
- Immigration: Stop family separation at the U.S.-Mexico border
- Immigration: End Trump's executive order banning travelers from some Muslim-majority countries

What Biden says he'll do during his first 100 days

- Immigration: Reverse a slew of Trump policies, including the construction of a U.S.-Mexican border wall

- Criminal justice: Increase police reform
- Criminal justice: Enact comprehensive criminal justice reform

- Foreign policy: Repair alliances and plan a global Summit for Democracy

Other potential early policy steps

- Economy: Make major investments in the U.S. economy to boost domestic growth

- Environment: Start on a $2 trillion climate plan

- Health care: Build on the Affordable Care Act if it isn't too late

- Education: Make first moves in a large education agenda

Obviously not everything will go well nor according to stated plan. That never happens, certainly not at the top levels of government. (with exception to New Zealand's COVID-19 handling, maybe, more or less? and other rare moments)

And of course the Senate is currently 46+2 Democrats (with some quite center or center-right) and 50 Republicans.

But at least the plan exists and sounds like it's in decent alignments.

TechSkyLander, this is incredible. : o
Thank you for sharing the document, with the notes and considerations above (which i quoted and also truncated for my quote).

At least 700 pages, and nominally 263k words. quotes, with dates, and links (to direct twitter post, White House briefings site, and some other places), and as you said, some quotes too long, quoted instead as screen-captures, still sorted (images are helpful, too).

I don't think I will directly use it much, but who knows, I may be referencing it in the next month, or year, or years from now.

That's a good amount of work, and it's good to know something like this exists. That's cool that you did this, and thanks again for sharing.
Haha, thank you! Here's hoping some good can come out of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom