• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

AmourShipping (Ash x Serena) Thread

Which is why even though the XY director isn't doing SM, it doesn't matter when the entire rest of the staff is the same from the previous sagas. I consider Tomioka the most important writer of the show since he's been with it for 20 years since episode 3, and took charge of the anime during AG and DP after Shudo quit in mid-Johto. As long as Tomioka never quits or retires from the anime, they'll be *some* sense of continuity in it overall.

@SSJ you have mentioned Matsui a couple of times. I am yet to see anything linking her with this ship (her Serena cosplays as Satoshi episodes besides). She wrote only 1 other episode in XY. Is there anything on this subject? Where are you pulling her name from?

Honestly, saying the interview doesn't means much because Pokemon is an endless anime is a valid point and all but it annoys that mostly of people using it are just shippers of other pairing doing damage control. If you say that then the same can be applied to your ship so I don't what are you trying here.

The producers suggesting a girl like Serena confirms the other girls never were intended to have any romantic interest in Ash and anything shippy was just the writers having fun or fanservice and not part of their plans.

Matsui literally wrote one of the most blatant Amourshipping episodes of XY. If you look at her page on Bulbapedia she wrote about 30 episodes in both AG and DP, so she also wrote a lot of episodes with May and Dawn in it. She obviously didn't make any extreme Advance or Pearlshipping episodes with them and Ash, probably because in XY she was aware of Serena's crush on Ash and went with it.

And as said, this is the first time official pokemon anime staff said anything about an Ash ship. You look at Shudo's old interview from 15 years ago where he literally tries to say Misty's crush on Ash didn't exist, and now you have a current director saying "Serena and Ash would become a couple in the future." LOL. If Tomioka was interviewed he might have said the same thing about Contestshipping at the end of AG, since Tomioka wrote all the big May/Drew episodes.

All in all if the pokemon anime goes on for another decade it obviously won't mean much because Serena will wind up too old and forgotten like all the previous girls, but at least shippers have something the anime staff said to headcanon even if the anime never ends.

It's rather obvious most of the actual Pokemon anime staff and others all liked Amour or Serena's crush in general. Which would be common sense, they're the people who wrote it and worked on the show. Shoko has also made it obvious Serena is her favorite character, she said she cut her hair short in real life when Serena did.

Admittedly it's a bit weird to see official pokemon anime staff so open about ships like this. They never did this for any previous character, not even back in the OS days for Misty.

A big poll in Japan took place for the 20th anniversary , the poll was "which travelling companion would you like Ash to travel with again?" (it was also "favorite movie" and "favorite Ash's pokemon" but it's not the topic here). Japanese finally responded and Serena took the 2nd place behind Brock.

You can see the results in this link: サトシとまた一緒に旅をしてほしい仲間は? 3位カスミ、2位セレナ、1位は… | アニメ!アニメ!

Here is the translation by Dephender from Serebii :

The sample size is small, and I guess most respondents are outside the target audience, and we know what TPC thinks of the opinions of grown ups.

I changed my mind. I think she won't appear again because this is a show for kids.
I still support AmourShipping.

She doesn't have to come in just for romance... It's possible for her to fulfill her dreams while travelling with Ash as well I think? I think Serena could draw in many younger/teenage girls too? She's so pretty and fashionable.

Serena won't come back for an entire arc as the show goes on forever with new characters, but if the show ever does have an ending I can see her being around for the last 20ish episodes of the show to wrap it up with Ash winning some final league or whatever. But if the show goes on for another 10 years Serena will just wind up too far in the past like the previous main girls (Misty/May/Dawn, etc) and just not appear or be referenced anymore.

The writers seem to have a cutoff point where once a character gets too old they just don't bother with them anymore.

If Serena's going to be Ash's girlfriend and eventual wife, Serena can be a constant in his life for the rest of his journey and they can see the world together, pursue their dreams together and meet new friends together. They don't even have to be officially together, it can just be like a Mickey and Minnie kinda thing or they could even have a (more than just friends) kind of thing and act as long term companions to each other. That's much better than her not appearing for years and then suddenly returning in the last 20 episodes. I'd like to see them grow together and as individuals, and not have Serena appear just as some sort of trophy wife for Ash.

The only problem is Serena's goal is to be the Kalos queen. It's too region specific.

I kind of like the idea that Serena has taken her relationship with Ash as far as her 10-year-old brain knows how, the kiss, and is ready to move on and pursue her more long-time goal, which is either becoming Kalos Queen/Making people smile, it was not quite clear what the point of her going to Hoenn was. Then once they're both more mature (probably never in a million years since this is the anime we are talking about here) they could rekindle their old friendship and take it to a higher level if Ash has found himself feeling similar romantic feelings towards Serena.

That's basically what Yajima's intentions for the pairing were. I mean we know the writers can't ever age Ash or wrap his character up (for whatever reason they feel Ash has to be around forever), so they gave the ship the best possible ending they could given Ash is an endless protagonist who will be rebooted in new sagas till the end of time. They basically solidified Serena as his endgame pairing either way.

The writers themselves won't ever ship Ash with a new female lead again in series, even though fans are of course going to ship Ash with all or any of the females anyway, so it's safe to say nothing will contradict Amour in canon at least. It's too bad they didn't use XY as a whole as an opportunity to finally wrap up Ash's character, but now given SM we'll likely just see no ties to any past arc ever again.

Back
Top Bottom