• Another exciting episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here.
  • Grookey, Scorbunny or Sobble, which one do you love most? Want to show your support with a cool banner, check out the info here!

AmourShipping (Ash x Serena) Thread

Olive

Back in Black
Reaction score
Hello Ladies and Gents. Long time no see.

Since I was in the neighborhood, I was browsing through old posts and realized that next week will be the three year anniversary of the Date Episode (XY59).

It's hard to believe it's only been three years. Looking back it seems like an eternity ago.

Anywho, I thought, given that discussion is pretty light here these days, it might be fun to take a minute from your regularly scheduled programming to reflect upon XY59 and its counterpart XY60 (Serena's first Showcase) and the impact this duo had on AmourShipping in hindsight.

Firstly, I recall the massive amount of attention that XY59 garnered. I do think that that episode was the one that really set AmourShipping right front and center for the whole fandom to see. Yes, Amour was certainly visible and discussed before this episode, but I look back to the sheer buzz and the amount of new members (myself included) who joined the community in the build up to this episode, and I my rational as to why this episode was significant from a visibility point of view might seem well formed. It galvanized the Amour community in a way that I certainly never saw again to quite the same extent.

Secondly, I like to be able to look at the "date" in XY59 and juxtapose it to the "date" in XY138 (Serena's last focus episode). Seeing how differently Ash regards Serena in the latter is noteworthy. I need not delve into how, in the first, he almost seems to regard Serena's presence as an afterthought, whereas in the second he actually engages her and accommodates her on a much more emotional level. You can also look at Serena's conduct during both. During the first, her infatuation with Ash largely dominated her attention. During the latter, there is an almost palpable melancholy in her demeanor. Despite the fact that she is finally hanging out with Ash (and is actually the object of his attention) her considerations of her future overshadow their outing. Yes, her feelings were certainly not diminished -- as the last episode of XY made clear -- but she had learned how to more maturely incorporate her feelings for Ash with her life goals, demonstrating that she views those two objectives and mutually compatible. In fact (and this thought is just occurring to me now) perhaps XY138 was where Serena mentally switched from a short-term strategy for winning over Ash, to the long-term one she ultimately settled upon.

XY60 is a cornucopia of implications all in itself. The introduction of Palmero and her secondary influence on Amour can't be ignored. Her outfit change which included the ribbon Ash gifted her in the previous episode became a perpetual symbol of Amour, while also setting the tone for the more level, goal-oriented Serena of the rest of the series. In hindsight that, while XY59 didn't really have any mutual Amour hints it did provide more symbolic Amour moments. XY60, on the other hand, had those more concrete hints (from both sides arguably) but perhaps didn't offer as much opportunity for post-season evaluation as the tone of XY59.

Long story short, I still stand by the assessment I gave these two episodes back when they first aired in February of 2015 that they form an AmourShipping Duology that really set the tone of how Amour would progress for the rest of the series.

Rajas20

Reaction score
Hello Ladies and Gents. Long time no see.

Since I was in the neighborhood, I was browsing through old posts and realized that next week will be the three year anniversary of the Date Episode (XY59).

It's hard to believe it's only been three years. Looking back it seems like an eternity ago.

Anywho, I thought, given that discussion is pretty light here these days, it might be fun to take a minute from your regularly scheduled programming to reflect upon XY59 and its counterpart XY60 (Serena's first Showcase) and the impact this duo had on AmourShipping in hindsight.

Firstly, I recall the massive amount of attention that XY59 garnered. I do think that that episode was the one that really set AmourShipping right front and center for the whole fandom to see. Yes, Amour was certainly visible and discussed before this episode, but I look back to the sheer buzz and the amount of new members (myself included) who joined the community in the build up to this episode, and I my rational as to why this episode was significant from a visibility point of view might seem well formed. It galvanized the Amour community in a way that I certainly never saw again to quite the same extent.

Secondly, I like to be able to look at the "date" in XY59 and juxtapose it to the "date" in XY138 (Serena's last focus episode). Seeing how differently Ash regards Serena in the latter is noteworthy. I need not delve into how, in the first, he almost seems to regard Serena's presence as an afterthought, whereas in the second he actually engages her and accommodates her on a much more emotional level. You can also look at Serena's conduct during both. During the first, her infatuation with Ash largely dominated her attention. During the latter, there is an almost palpable melancholy in her demeanor. Despite the fact that she is finally hanging out with Ash (and is actually the object of his attention) her considerations of her future overshadow their outing. Yes, her feelings were certainly not diminished -- as the last episode of XY made clear -- but she had learned how to more maturely incorporate her feelings for Ash with her life goals, demonstrating that she views those two objectives and mutually compatible. In fact (and this thought is just occurring to me now) perhaps XY138 was where Serena mentally switched from a short-term strategy for winning over Ash, to the long-term one she ultimately settled upon.

XY60 is a cornucopia of implications all in itself. The introduction of Palmero and her secondary influence on Amour can't be ignored. Her outfit change which included the ribbon Ash gifted her in the previous episode became a perpetual symbol of Amour, while also setting the tone for the more level, goal-oriented Serena of the rest of the series. In hindsight that, while XY59 didn't really have any mutual Amour hints it did provide more symbolic Amour moments. XY60, on the other hand, had those more concrete hints (from both sides arguably) but perhaps didn't offer as much opportunity for post-season evaluation as the tone of XY59.

Long story short, I still stand by the assessment I gave these two episodes back when they first aired in February of 2015 that they form an AmourShipping Duology that really set the tone of how Amour would progress for the rest of the series.
Totally agree with you here, the differences in both Ash and Serena between the first date and the more legit second one is quite astounding. Made me really appreciate the growth in their relationship.

Tothenines

Reaction score
Pokemon's official U.S. twitter actually posted the scene of Serena kissing Ash at the end of XY because today is Valentines Day:

View: https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/963865862267531264

The replies are mostly filled with butt-hurt shippers all arguing with each other though, lol.

But either way the fact that the official Pokemon twitter chose Ash/Serena over anything else for their Valentines day post is nice, especially since XY has been over for nearly 2 years now.

Rajas20

Reaction score
Pokemon's official U.S. twitter actually posted the scene of Serena kissing Ash at the end of XY because today is Valentines Day:

View: https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/963865862267531264

The replies are mostly filled with butt-hurt shippers all arguing with each other though, lol.

But either way the fact that the official Pokemon twitter chose Ash/Serena over anything else for their Valentines day post is nice, especially since XY has been over for nearly 2 years now.
Wonderful time to be alive tbh

Cresselia92

Eye of the Swan
Reaction score
This isn’t surprising at all. :p

Anyway, it was really nice seeing that moment again. The whole buildup, with Serena going up the stairs and the little music playing and Ash looking puzzled and Serena leaning forward and… aaah! I feel my heart fluttering every time I think about it! It’s such a sweet and adorable moment! <3

Oh, and since I don’t want to see this thread rusting again and the Twitter channel brought up that moment, I guess we could try to keep the conversation rolling with a question:

“If Serena were to meet Ash in the Alola region, how do you think she would interact with him?”

Tothenines

Reaction score
Serena's personality would likely be altered in SM the same way Ash's was to fit this sagas's writing style, so she'd probably be more playful or kid-like around him. XY wrote the characters as if they were in their early teens, so there would be a contrast.

Overall though, I don't think Serena will appear in SM, especially now. We're getting to the later half of the saga now and Serena might not be a good fit for the saga. I don't think Serena will appear for a long time to be honest, the writers didn't even give her a special when she left either. (when even characters like Iris and Cilan got specials), so it seems the writers intended the XY finale to be her sendoff for a good while. Maybe in Gen 8 or beyond if the tone of the saga changes again to be something more similar to AG/DP/XY again.

SinnohEevee

Reaction score
I don't get why shippers engage in wars over fictional characters, especially since Ash will forever be 10.

AvidPSFan

Pokéshipper 4 life!
Reaction score
I don't get why shippers engage in wars over fictional characters, especially since Ash will forever be 10.
It's not rational, so don't try to come up with a rational explanation for it. Shipping is serious in fandoms and people get inordinately attached to their favorite couples, probably because they see something in them that they wish was in their own lives. I used to engage in shipping wars myself, but I quit because it just took up too much time and emotional energy.

Rajas20

Reaction score
This isn’t surprising at all. :p

Anyway, it was really nice seeing that moment again. The whole buildup, with Serena going up the stairs and the little music playing and Ash looking puzzled and Serena leaning forward and… aaah! I feel my heart fluttering every time I think about it! It’s such a sweet and adorable moment! <3

Oh, and since I don’t want to see this thread rusting again and the Twitter channel brought up that moment, I guess we could try to keep the conversation rolling with a question:

“If Serena were to meet Ash in the Alola region, how do you think she would interact with him?”
Personally think she would be a bit different to her XY counterpart, they'd ofc push the limits with her being in love with Ash, funny faces etc and maybe even put her in a situation or two for comedic effect which I personally would rather not see. Most importantly I believe it's too early to see her again after the last episode.
As Cybersai said, the characters have been altered to fit the tone of SM and the same will happen to Serena, most importantly for me though, I'd rather not see how she'd look in SM art style. So far none of the transitions have clicked for me. Ash, Jessie, James, Misty, Brock, Delia and even Pikachu to an extent haven't really been to my liking compared to the characters made for the series, who all look rather fitting imo.

Tothenines

Reaction score
I'd also rather they wait a long time to give Serena a proper cameo than do some quick thing. If she were to just come back for 2 measly episodes and leave again, it would be pointless. I'd rather her not get just a quick throwaway cameo like the other characters have gotten, so I'd prefer she not appear this generation.

Rajas20

Reaction score
I'd also rather they wait a long time to give Serena a proper cameo than do some quick thing. If she were to just come back for 2 measly episodes and leave again, it would be pointless. I'd rather her not get just a quick throwaway cameo like the other characters have gotten, so I'd prefer she not appear this generation.
If it's for specials to show her growth in Hoenn and beyond I'm fine with it but when it comes to seeing Ash then time needs to pass otherwise those words in the last episode would mean nothing. I would hope Yajima has some form of input when she eventually makes a return of some sort.

KenzeyEevee

Eevee, the one with a kind heart
Reaction score
I am surprised the writers of pokémon shared an article about Amourshipping.

SerenaToAlola

Reaction score
I wish she got a Popplio! Like my new updated avi. Serena x Primarina would end all performances/contests!!