• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

An "Alternate" Story

Reaction score
What do you think this implies? A retake on the old story? Alternate dimensions perhaps? Or is it just a fancy way to refer to them as sequels/third versions?

How do you think the story will change from Sun and Moon?

What do you think this implies? A retake on the old story? Alternate dimensions perhaps? Or is it just a fancy way to call them sequels?

How do you think the story will change from Sun and Moon?
Necrozma. Something to do with it. It looks like the logos and the Legendaries are fused with it.

Maybe I'll end up let down, but I'm going to be optimistic and say that quite a lot will change.

I don't really think these will be sequels, but more a sort of "alternative world," I suppose. Characters in different positions, or different characters altogether. Different trials in different locations. A largely overhauled storyline.

Which, despite whatever else, I'd have to give them a little credit for because it's sort of fulfilling something I've wanted to see for a while, which is a new story set in an existing region but with it being unrelated to the first story that took place there. This isn't really the time that I'd have chosen to do that, but I still think it's a neat idea.

Maybe I'll end up let down, but I'm going to be optimistic and say that quite a lot will change.

I don't really think these will be sequels, but more a sort of "alternative world," I suppose. Characters in different positions, or different characters altogether. Different trials in different locations. A largely overhauled storyline.

Which, despite whatever else, I'd have to give them a little credit for because it's sort of fulfilling something I've wanted to see for a while, which is a new story set in an existing region but with it being unrelated to the first story that took place there. This isn't really the time that I'd have chosen to do that, but I still think it's a neat idea.
Maybe Gyms will return?
Or perhaps Pokemon is trying to let everyone down so nobody will be upset when they end it(They will.)

Sounds to me like this will be more along the lines of a 3rd edition than a sequel (if it were a sequel they'd just call it that), in that it'll simply be an alternate take on Sun & Moon. And perhaps more overtly address the matter of these games taking place in universes separate to their counterparts.

I think it's just going to be a third version too, since the website just talks about "new additions to the story and features of Pokémon Sun and Moon", that just doesn't sound like a lot will be changed.

Though the new protagonists (or are they just the same ones with a different look?) might hint at something more than that.

Though the new protagonists (or are they just the same ones with a different look?) might hint at something more than that.

I think it's the same protagonist. Just with new standard clothes like in every third version and an additional new haircut.

And yes it looks like a third version. I think I saw Kukui standing on the exact same spot on Route 1 like in SM.

Maybe Gyms will return?
Or perhaps Pokemon is trying to let everyone down so nobody will be upset when they end it(They will.)
What if this is the alternative universe where Gyms are prominent in Alola and Trials are not?
I do like the idea of the game focusing on something other than island trials, whether that be gyms or something new entirely. The latter is doubtful, though.

Maybe the reason why there's a pair of third games again is because unlike Kalos, Alola has different alternate universes. Like Kalos is the same no matter what timeline you're in, but Alola is diffrent depending on the timelines.

But then again, I'm also convinced that's it's either an interquel or a sequel. Maybe your house is a similar one down the street or maybe it's the same house but Sun/Moon and their mom moved back to Kanto a la the original trailers.

Whatever it is, I'm fine with it. As long as they didn't go back to the "same game but better" system that ended with platinum. B2/W2 set the bar too high for them to lower it again.

My theory:
Instead of Alola being a calm and peaceful region with a focus on traditions, it could be a region without any traditions and more modern practices, like Hawaii could've been since the US originally outlawed Hawaiian dancing and the like when they colonized it.

Back
Top Bottom