• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

An "Alternate" Story

I need some expert in English here, is "another" and "alternative" the same?

My friends and I think this will be the sequel, and new main character will be S/M main character's siblings, like in the trailer, the young guy visited his brother. That will explain why he lived in the same house, why they look the same. He's from Kanto (in the trailer was Japan), visited and gonna live with his brother & mother in Alola (in the trailer was Vietnam).

Remember what happened with SM trailer? It's a boy moved to Hawaii and befriend with a boy name Shoku.

It's almost the same in the game, main character moved to Alola and befriend with a boy name Hau.

In Japanese trailer, what my friend heard Masuda said at 6:24 is "もう一つ の 物語" - "another story" not "alternative story" like in English. He doesn't know if it's mistranslated or what.

And on Pokemon Japanese website, it's "もう1 つの『サン・ムーン』の物語" - "another story of Sun Moon" too.
I mean, the two CAN mean the same thing depending on the context. But generally, "another" indicates a second story, not specifying what it may be. That would be more vague, since it could mean a sequel, prequel, or variation of an existing story.

Alternate, on the other hand, has a more specific connotation, indicating that it is a different version of the same story, or a way to replace the existing story.

So like I said, it's really about context. However, having said all that, I wouldn't really read too much into it. This is Game Freak, and no matter what wording they use, it could just be fancy talk to dance around revealing anything of importance.

Look at the hat.

YcQfiWN.jpg

IIBgPS7.jpg

To add to what BigBadButterfree said, when ORAS came out, they actually said it was a whole new world and some fans did take it to mean something more unique from the typical remake. Once we got more information though, it was revealed to be more akin to an updated version of the original events of RS rather then anything completely new to Hoenn's events. So it's not impossible that the use of "another" is not really indicative of something more special for these games, it could just be a choice of wording to mask the game's story until they're ready to talk more about it.

Either way, we'll probably see soon enough so we won't have to go around in circles with this for too long.

My theory:

1. The main character's Z ring looks like Gladion's.
How Necrozma makes things shake maybe the reason why Gladion's hands are so shaky.
So main character is somehow the edgelord now.
Maybe it's even called an "N ring" instead of "Z ring". (A lot of Japanese people believe that we are getting N rings for N forms. N for Necrozma, plus N is basically a tilted Z/)

2. Colress fused Lunala and Solgaleo with Necrozma, like what he did to Kyurem, which explains why he is in Alola.
Colress is the new villain.

View: https://twitter.com/yurricanes/status/872121226180931588

So, maybe we are in Lillie/ Gladion's position in this game, get the black Z ring (or N ring), and continue with the game.

I mean, the two CAN mean the same thing depending on the context. But generally, "another" indicates a second story, not specifying what it may be. That would be more vague, since it could mean a sequel, prequel, or variation of an existing story.

Alternate, on the other hand, has a more specific connotation, indicating that it is a different version of the same story, or a way to replace the existing story.

So like I said, it's really about context. However, having said all that, I wouldn't really read too much into it. This is Game Freak, and no matter what wording they use, it could just be fancy talk to dance around revealing anything of importance.
I think GF is going to take advantage of this. Basically, it'll start out as seeming like a third version, only to end up revealing that USUM take place in the Alternate World that we could travel to in SM at the Altar of the Sunne/Moone. What, did you think that portal to a time-flipped world was just for show? Nope, it was foreshadowing all along. USUM really are an "alternate" story to SM, as in the other world we visit in SM at the Altar (meaning US is parallel to Moon and UM is parallel to Sun)!

I think GF is going to take advantage of this. Basically, it'll start out as seeming like a third version, only to end up revealing that USUM take place in the Alternate World that we could travel to in SM at the Altar of the Sunne/Moone. What, did you think that portal to a time-flipped world was just for show? Nope, it was foreshadowing all along. USUM really are an "alternate" story to SM, as in the other world we visit in SM at the Altar (meaning US is parallel to Moon and UM is parallel to Sun)!
You know, I could see something crazy like that happening. Like, the mascot Solgaleo (covered in Necrozma parts) comes to your world to attack, so then has to be fended off by the real Lunala in that world. Or... something like that.

2. Colress fused Lunala and Solgaleo with Necrozma, like what he did to Kyurem, which explains why he is in Alola.

Colress had absolutely nothing to do with fusing Kyurem. Ghetsis was the one who wanted to fuse N's dragon with Kyurem, and had the Shadow Triad steal the DNA Splicers from Drayden, whose family had been guarding the Splicers for centuries.

Colress was only involved with Team Plasma to advise on some of Ghetsis's science projects (like the cane, and probably the frigate) and to act as the group's public leader so that Ghetsis could remain in the shadows. Colress actually didn't care about what Ghetsis wanted; he just saw Team Plasma's resources as being useful for his own research (was was about finding the best method of unlocking a Pokémon's full potential - in SM, he mentions that he has started studying Mega Evolution and Z-Moves in the course of this).

To add to what BigBadButterfree said, when ORAS came out, they actually said it was a whole new world and some fans did take it to mean something more unique from the typical remake. Once we got more information though, it was revealed to be more akin to an updated version of the original events of RS rather then anything completely new to Hoenn's events. So it's not impossible that the use of "another" is not really indicative of something more special for these games, it could just be a choice of wording to mask the game's story until they're ready to talk more about it.

Either way, we'll probably see soon enough so we won't have to go around in circles with this for too long.
We already got more information beyond the use of "alternative". The press release just says that the games have been powered up with new additions to the story and gameplay. That is to say, they're 99% likely to be remastered versions. Likewise, ORAS were confirmed to be remakes the day after their announcement.

I also don't get the ORAS comparison. They initially tried to make ORAS sound more impressive - why would they do the exact opposite here? Not to mention that we actually got some footage which shows the same player characters (at least the boy makes that obvious) in the same initial locations.

Last edited:
I think this theory that the Akala volcano erupted and split into 4 smaller islands would be cool and looking at the symbol on Necrozma-Legendary fusions head, it resembles a different version of the island challenge amulet(but it may be like necrozma's colored eyes). I think different events happen in the history of Alola and stuff is different.

Those colors are exactly the same as Necrozma's eyes and obviously the mascots have fused with Necrozma in some sense. Think nothing of it.

I don't see what would be so interesting about Akala splitting into four small islands, anyway.

I don't see what would be so interesting about Akala splitting into four small islands, anyway.
We could see how much damage occurred and destroyed places and stuff. And possibly a hidden underwater duengon where the volcano was. Or possibly the fused legendary Pokemon have caused the eruption, showing us how dangerous it is

We already got more information beyond the use of "alternative". The press release just says that the games have been powered up with new additions to the story and gameplay. That is to say, they're 99% likely to be remastered versions. Likewise, ORAS were confirmed to be remakes the day after their announcement.

I also don't get the ORAS comparison. They initially tried to make ORAS sound more impressive - why would they do the exact opposite here? Not to mention that we actually got some footage which shows the same player characters (at least the boy makes that obvious) in the same initial locations.

Um, I'm not sure why you're responding to me since I agree with you. The point of the comparison was to show that we shouldn't read too much into the wording, not that there's anything special to it.

My bad. Anyway, another/alternative is just a literal translation thing. The translators knew what they were doing.

ErikNguyen912 said:
My friends and I think this will be the sequel, and new main character will be S/M main character's siblings, like in the trailer, the young guy visited his brother. That will explain why he lived in the same house, why they look the same. He's from Kanto (in the trailer was Japan), visited and gonna live with his brother & mother in Alola (in the trailer was Vietnam).
All the trailer means is that adults play Pokken while kids play USUM. It's actually a very sad message.

I am not sure what point you're making with the hat. If the uncle is supposed the player... then he is not the player's uncle or brother. Nevermind the fact that the SM player didn't have a brother.

Last edited:

If so, then I guess it's still possible the games could be a sequel :D

Back
Top Bottom