• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

An "Alternate" Story

Which means they only have the same face, which is the same face every PC has, so that seems different enough to me. Or are you saying that every PC is actually the same person or family of each other because they only have different hair and clothes? :p

For a better comparison, here are pics of both:
View attachment 102921 View attachment 102920
View attachment 102917 View attachment 102919
(sadly couldn't find a same sort of screenshot for the SuMo girl)

I would definitely say they look different enough to be different characters. The eye color is the same, but about 50% of all PC's have that eye color so that hardly counts either.

Had this been in a game without customization, I would have 100% thought they were different characters. But as of now, all this is showing is that they have different clothes on. If they were going for totally different characters, I don't think it would have been out of the realm of possibility to make them look at least slightly different from the SuMo characters regarding facial features~

I'm not saying they 100% can't be different characters, but for now, I'm just going with that they're the same and USUM's just gonna have some more customization options~

Had this been in a game without customization, I would have 100% thought they were different characters.

Really? Really? Surely you didn't think that Dawn and Lucas in Platinum were different characters because they changed their clothes. Customization or not, the only visible difference is clothing while everything else is strikingly similar. Sure, their hair styles changed a bit, but even that is pretty cosmetic. I feel like Dawn would still be recognizable as Dawn if her Platinum design had a different haircut, too.

But, overall, I agree. The presence of customization makes it even more painfully obvious that they're the same characters, unless they somehow (unlikely) pull of a silly family resemblance excuse that's harder to achieve than the Oaks.

Really? Really? Surely you didn't think that Dawn and Lucas in Platinum were different characters because they changed their clothes. Customization or not, the only visible difference is clothing while everything else is strikingly similar. Sure, their hair styles changed a bit, but even that is pretty cosmetic. I feel like Dawn would still be recognizable as Dawn if her Platinum design had a different haircut, too.

But, overall, I agree. The presence of customization makes it even more painfully obvious that they're the same characters, unless they somehow (unlikely) pull of a silly family resemblance excuse that's harder to achieve than the Oaks.

Lol, of course not. We KNEW that was 100% factually a 3rd version and they were obviously the same characters whose clothes we could not change. The clothes were similar enough, anyway to tell they were the same characters. These outfits are drastically different, as is the hair (like Rosa and Nate compared to Hilda and Hilbert), and for a game where we don't know 100% that they're 3rd versions, even if that's what I think they are. Also for a game where we CAN change hair and clothes, so of course, my assumption is that they're the same characters as SuMo with different customized options.

I dunno. I don't think USUM are simple third versions. They will probably have a new twist to them.

I wouldn't mind it if they were simple third versions though. As long as they have enough good new content a la BW2 or Emerald, I would be happy. Even if the story is the same from SM.

Interquel style story, the protags are from the faller alola and so is the region. Still banking on Post game trials or gyms happening in the alternate alola.

It isn't "Faller" Alola, lol. But if you mean that it's the Alola Pelago Mohn is from, then that's likely.

And assuming that Cosmog has been taken from this universe by the SM protagonist, then I'm curious to see how Lillie will develop with Nebby. I have no doubt it will be a worse storyline, though.

Given the emphasis on "Ultra" I wonder if we'll get an expanded storyline for the Ultra Beasts and spend more time in Ultra Space?

I really hope so~ There was so much emphasis put on it, and we were there for literally one battle. Couldn't even explore it. I hope maybe they'll do something like the Distortion World and maybe we have to go find Guzma and Lusamine instead of them just sitting there~

Hopefully the first "third" version-style games in nearly 10 years will shed some light on where original paired games overshadowed by third versions (GS, RS, DP) fit into the overall canonical continuity.

I am very interested to see what the story be like.

They might just put Third game and Sequel together, an expanded version of Alola (third game), take place a year later from the original event with new location, and possibly new island (sequels).

I really didn't like SM's story, so this is an immediate plus point about USUM and a big reason why I'm so hyped. Whatever alterations they make are ones I'll probably take.

They might just put Third game and Sequel together, an expanded version of Alola (third game), take place a year later from the original event with new location, and possibly new island (sequels).
BW2 already did that first and were just outright called sequels. and of course, this still wouldn't resolve the fact that alternate and sequel are essentially incompatible.

alternate and sequel are essentially incompatible.

Not @Mega/Ultra Evolution 46 but I think a way in which the "alternate" could come in in his idea (which I like) is if its an alternate universe where the protagonist only moved to Alola after the sequence of events in SM happened. In other words, the events in SM happened without the the protagonists, perhaps with Hau filling in the place of the protagonist. This would be different from B2W2 which had different protagonists altogether.

Not @Mega/Ultra Evolution 46 but I think a way in which the "alternate" could come in in his idea (which I like) is if its an alternate universe where the protagonist only moved to Alola after the sequence of events in SM happened. In other words, the events in SM happened without the the protagonists, perhaps with Hau filling in the place of the protagonist. This would be different from B2W2 which had different protagonists altogether.
if the events of last year just play out normally with some minor adjustments, why not just make SM2 rather than USUM? and of course, this would simply be another "what if" (ie., alternate story) and not an actual sequel either, the inversion of what was suggested by the other person.

BW2 already did that first and were just outright called sequels. and of course, this still wouldn't resolve the fact that alternate and sequel are essentially incompatible.
I would not say they are incompatible per se. The difference is that one is a direct sequel and the other would be an alternate story that happens to take place in a universe where the timelapse also just happens to be after the events of SM. In that sense it's a form of sequel and yet not a sequel because you are the protagonist still and you just moved to Alola later. You would not even know what events transpired during that year because it's an alternate universe a year later in time.

Thus, the "what if" scenario, if done correctly and ambitiously, has the biggest freedom of all other options. Considering the ripple effect and it being an alternate take on the Alola story, if GF would make the protagonist move to Alola later, the things that could have transpired before you moved to Alola don't have to be the exact same as SM. Why? For the simple reason that none of us know which events were triggered by our presence in Alola and our interactions with the characters. And so, that, coupled with the timelapse, could in theory produce the best results by taking the best of both options (sequel and the usual alternate universe of third versions). If GF wanted to be ambitious with their games and surprise the fans, they could give us a duo of games with an expanded Alola, a more finished Alola, and a story that is better and more complete than SM, and a story that will make our adventure feel different without being a direct sequel since new characters would cross our way for new reasons and whatnot.

This is likely never gonna happen, but in theory, and in all technicality, the "what if" also has the freedom to completely change the dex and retcon things that existed or did not exist in the SM dex. Once again, if GF really wanted to spice things up and surprise their fans, they could take the alternate story to its literal meaning and introduce new pokemon mid-gen like never before. Not that this is anything more than wishful thinking, but theoretically, the possibility exists.

Back
Top Bottom