• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

An Art Deco City in the Pokemon universe?

Jerry1224

Reaction score
Personally, I see Art Deco as an in-between or intermediary style for the architectural spectrum of cities in the pokemon universe.

We have Modern/Cyberpunk/Futuristic architecture on one end
f0a5369c677dca6aff6e4e0d1a6bdbab.jpg
rocio-garcia-cyberpunkcarreterapresentacion.jpg

image-ed81b6941353b6367ec3050573ce3cd7.png

and Medieval/18th Century/Victorian architecture on the other end.
1200px-Avignon_Town.png

205c254540f5f91aedba3a7e9f4f984e.png

1200px-SwSh_Prerelease_industrial_city.png

Art Deco would likely be in the middle of these extremes.

What I'm presenting forward is the idea of an Art deco city existing in the Pokemon world. No, not a city with a few art deco buildings here and there. I mean the whole damn city is built in the Art Deco style through and through. not a single Modern Skyscraper in sight.
15faec369c3248835f764e7b90d545a4.jpg

I know Castelia city is based on New York City, but it's New York City in the Present Day. This city would be based on New York City and other American cities during the 1920's and 1930's. A City based on an existing city but at a certain decade in it's history. like this:
nypl_digitalcollections_ParkAve_39thStreet.jpg

nypl_digitalcollections_skyline_southstreet.jpg

1l915o0gu6p11.jpg

GettyImages_50982864.0.jpg

Art Deco also symbolized Luxury, Progress, Industry and Modernity. These and imagery would also be evoked, Though Pokemon would also be enshrined alongside the Human imagery as they played a major role in the city's construction.

If Motostoke evokes Steampunk, this city would evoke Dieselpunk. It's technology or the aesthetics presented in a retrofuturistic style. looking something like this:
dieselpunk-city-concept-art-m6-2560x1440.jpg
c9a723fc2dad4ec95bf309084bb331d8.png

a7d8226c11b8770ca251c1332d6c8e5a.jpg

As someone with a fascination for the early 20th century, I'd love to see some 1920s-inspired design elements in a Pokemon game. If they made a game that was actually set in that era, even better!

An art deco city would be really cool, and I'd like to see some rural locations inspired by that era as well. When I think of the early 20th century, I always imagine people strolling around country gardens, punting down rivers, or driving along country lanes in vintage cars, like in Brideshead Revisited.

Is the Rose of the Rondelands Hotel in Wyndon art deco? The gold patterns on the doors and walls give me a Great Gatsby vibe.

Screenshot (73).png

Screenshot (74).png

As someone with a fascination for the early 20th century, I'd love to see some 1920s-inspired design elements in a Pokemon game. If they made a game that was actually set in that era, even better!

An art deco city would be really cool, and I'd like to see some rural locations inspired by that era as well. When I think of the early 20th century, I always imagine people strolling around country gardens, punting down rivers, or driving along country lanes in vintage cars, like in Brideshead Revisited.

Is the Rose of the Rondelands Hotel in Wyndon art deco? The gold patterns on the doors and walls give me a Great Gatsby vibe.

View attachment 142906

View attachment 142907

Not exactly in that era, but in their world's approximation of it since it isn't our world.

I think it was intended to be victorian/edwardian, but they threw in some art deco into it

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom