• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

An explanation to why no Gen I-IV Pokemon appear?

In a show from NHK called ''Imagine nation'', The Assistant Director said they want Best Wish to like very fresh start so they Make Ash like a Rocky
And They decided that they won't gonna bring any other pokemon from past Generation except Pikachu
I don't know what he actually meant. Did he meant only Ash's Pokemon or All the other generation pokemon ?
Anyway if he meant past generation pokemon then it would also mean other past character such as Misty , Brock, Dawn & May aren't making any appearance in Best Wish
Unless they show up only with Generation v pokemon

....................................................................What?

The point is like the games, no Pokemon from Generations I-IV will be seen in the wild.

Pokemon like Ash's Pikachu and TR's Meowth are special and will remain as main characters.

Pokemon from the other generations will still be referenced to, however.

I like it, it makes sense to me. Unova is geographically separated from the PokéJapan, it's farther from them than they are to each other. The only reason that the "Old World" Pokémon to appear in Unova in-game is because of the PokéTransfer Machine.

Notice that Generation V is the first time in the anime where their Pokémon weren't shown in the previous generation saga. The only ones to appear were Zorua and Zoroark and they were shown to be from a faraway place anyways. Because the Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh Pokémon inhabit the the nearby regions. But PokéJapan and Unova are separated, and Pokémon like Meowth and Pikachu are shown to be rare in Unova because they aren't native there.

I guess the general consensus is that Unova is far enough removed from the other regions to support a unique ecology of Pokemon. Keep in mind that the other regions are based on real-life areas of Japan, while Unova is based on New York City, so it makes sense that the other regions are close together compared to Unova.

....................................................................What?

The point is like the games, no Pokemon from Generations I-IV will be seen in the wild.

Pokemon like Ash's Pikachu and TR's Meowth are special and will remain as main characters.

Pokemon from the other generations will still be referenced to, however.

Also, they have been doing that tradition of having Ash leave all of his pokemon except for Pikachu behind since Hoenn started.

I do find it strange as to why flying types haven't flown to Unova though. Same with water types from other regions being found in Unova waters. Maybe theres something unexplained that prevents it. Maybe its similar to the fact that most legendary Pokemon aren't found outside the region they were featured in. With the exception of a few like the Regis being in Kanto (in the Lucario movie) and a few others. We may never know. I do think the writers and creators want us to use our imaginations for certain things. Like how all the Pokemon got as close to the action as possible (in the second movie I believe) but we never saw any future Pokemon. We have the real reason being they werent created yet, but in-universe, wheres the explanation?

I really like that there's no past Gen pokemon in Isshu, it further emphasizes how far away it is from the other regions, and it's fun to watch the Isshu residents fangirl over seeing a Pikachu, and big burly men cry "BATTTTTLE MANAGERRRRRRRRR ;__________;" over what they thought was a Blacky.

Nintendo would never forget the old Pokemon, so they will appear later on, possibly after the last gym, while it should be noted that Unova is in another nation, in real life, there are certain animal species that are part of the same evolutionary family, but live on completely seperate continents, such as canines and monkeys for instance.

Old Pokémon don't appear in Unova because the region is far away from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh. It's the only new region where Ash hasn't been able to get to on foot or by boat; he had to take a plane.

I do find it strange as to why flying types haven't flown to Unova though. Same with water types from other regions being found in Unova waters. Maybe theres something unexplained that prevents it. Maybe its similar to the fact that most legendary Pokemon aren't found outside the region they were featured in. With the exception of a few like the Regis being in Kanto (in the Lucario movie) and a few others. We may never know. I do think the writers and creators want us to use our imaginations for certain things. Like how all the Pokemon got as close to the action as possible (in the second movie I believe) but we never saw any future Pokemon. We have the real reason being they werent created yet, but in-universe, wheres the explanation?
There are numerous issues as to why Pokémon couldn't simply swim or fly there. For example, there's climate, the distance they would have to travel and what natural predators they might encounter.

Penguins don't swim from the South Pole to the North Pole. Tigers are found in Asia, you don't see them in America. Bald eagles are found in America, you don't see them in Africa. How geography and climate works for the real world with animals is basically the same for Pokemon in their world.

Odd animal populations no native to the land are usually caused by human intervention. Like iguanas living in Florida.

In Swasbuck episode we saw several non-Unova pokes so they definitely occurr just quite rarely

Personally, I thought it was a preference by the animation studio and/or an order by their marketing heads or The Pokémon Company or whatever, and the reason was the same as why there are no previous Gen Pokémon in games before E4, and why BW as a whole doesn't follow other series continuities. Just like they want to make the games feel fresh, they wanted the series feel fresh, by removing previous continuity. I don't think there is much of an in-universe explanation; and it is kinda hard to make one(besides Unova being a part of Wargleland and not the Land of Rising Ho-oh), especially since in games you can catch previous generation Pokémon in pre-E4 areas, be it through swarms, Fishing Rod or newly opened areas within pre-E4 places(Relic Castle's Claydol room).

I know this applies to the games and all, but I do remember reading an interview where they justified why you only encounter Unova mons for the duration of the game and it's mostly because Unova has a different eco-system than Kanto/Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh, therefore they have their own breed of Pokémon. Then when you add the fact that Unova is implied to be farther way always felt right as to why I wouldn't expect to see a Ghastly or Shinx over there. Besides, it's not like if I go to a different country I would encounter the same breed of deer that I would here in New York, let alone North America.

I can bet you some idiots would have introduced invasive species of non-regional pokemon to the local Unova ecosystem just because they'd think it would be cool, and end up endangering local species because of competition for resources. That's how it works in real life. It's just the people in charge of the show don't want to portray old pokemon in a bad light as being an invasive species disturbing nature and ruining habitats.

Just like in the real world, some animals doesn't live everywhere and only in a few places! Lets take an example. The Kangaroo. Its supposed to only live in Australia (I am not completely sure, but this is the most known fact). So seeing one wild in other places would be weird. They're sticking to the whole "animals lives in different places!" :D

And... also like in real world, there might be a rule about releasing some animals out in the real is forbidden, to not ruin the environment! Or something...

I would imagine the Unovans might have strict laws regarding the removal of Unovan Pokemon or the introduction of foreign Pokemon. After all, it was established that Zorua and Zoroark from M13 were kidnapped from their home.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom