• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

An interesting article I found

El Squibbonator

Reaction score
So I was looking on Medium, and I found this article about the general response older Americans (especially Baby Boomers) seem to have had toward the Pokemon franchise when it first reached the United States, and what might have motivated it. It's fascinating and worth a read!

Proof of the ugly sides of nationalism, which sadly is even uglier today than it was in the 90s. But I see some paradox in this article, as this was before the days of widespread internet and many parents assumed (even despite the infamy EP038 left) Pokémon to be an American cartoon series as opposed to a Japanese video game franchise with an anime tacked on. And many people born before 1980 still assume this.

And whenever something is going through a fad phase, especially if the target audience children and/teenagers, it will be hated among older and more conservative groups. Even Sesame Street was condemned in its early days.

Thing is, it wasn’t just Pokémon either. A lot of the anger of American parents groups was disproportionately directed towards Japanese shows. Power Rangers (the dubbed version of Super Sentai) got hit with this a lot, to the point that many public schools banned the toys and the show was frequently condemned for its supposed “violence”.

Meanwhile American cartoons did stuff like this and nobody seemed to care.

Back
Top Bottom