• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

An interesting prospect

Captain Shazbot

Attorney at LOL
Reaction score
Now, this just came to mind today, and I don't know if it's been mentioned before.

If the trend carries over from Advanced Gen of Ash, Brock, and May/Dawn/whatever each has a starter, it means there's a chance that Turtwig will end up with Brock. This would give each of them a Sinnoh starter (Ash with Chimchar, Dawn with Piplup, and Brock with Turtwig). And I guess it kind of makes sense, since Torterra is part Ground (what with Brocks affinity for big tough manly Pokemon, Happiny being excluded).

Granted, I don't have a lot of evidence to back up my statement. But an interesting prospect nonetheless, hm? Besides, I think it'd be cool to see Ash with an Abomasnow or something.

what with Brocks affinity for big tough manly Pokemon

Everyone BUT Onix and Geodude says "huh!?"

And no. I want Ash to keep Turtwig. Don't do that to the poor thing.

Everyone BUT Onix and Geodude says "huh!?"

And no. I want Ash to keep Turtwig. Don't do that to the poor thing.
Steelix and Geodude are pretty damn manly all on their own. Foretress has the balls to explode itself and live. Sudowoodo grew up from a crybaby Bonsly into one tough fighter.

Crobat, Ludicolo and Marshtomp were awesome, but not manly. And Vulpix doesn't count because it wasn't exactly 'his' to begin with.

Uh...I *really* can't see a reason for Ash to give his Turtwig to Brock. Like...at all.

The reason they avoided giving Brock a starter this region is because Mudkip barely got to do anything in AG. Grovyle and Combusken got all the glory, while poor Mudkip only came out once in a blue moon.

This time with Ash owning two starters and Dawn having the other, it means all three starters will have good screentime, unlike what happened to poor Mudkip.

what's sad is that even when Hikozaru was with Shinji (who doesn't appear every episode), lots of people thought it was getting better showcasing than Mizugorou ever did. Christ, it sure would've been nice if they at least let the thing show some variety in its movepool the few times it did show up.... Water Gun, that's all it did. Does it really seem sensible to show one of the starters' abilities as being limited to what every other damn water-type in the show is capable of? Especially when Takeshi already had another Water Gunner around.

True, but I suppose it didn't matter since the Water Gun was only ever used against TR.

Come to think of it, what actual battles was Mudkip even in? I remember it battling against Zigzagoon during the Winstrate family ep, in which it got KO'd in 5 seconds by a Thunderbolt. Then in the referee ep, I think Mudkip and Lombre had a tag battle against Ash as well. It was also in a training match briefly with Grovyle in the ep it evolved in. I can't remember much else though, aside from Marshtompts obvious battles.

Damn, is it sad that I can't remember any of Mudkip's other battles during AG? I don't know if this is sad because it shows how little battling Brock did for those 200 episodes or how little we saw Mudkip. Or maybe its a combination of both.

And...there's probably the obvious reason why Brock has no starter this gen. Just goes to show you things happen for a reason.

Well to be fair it's not like Turtwig can really win at anything no matter what the writers do with it

What do you mean?

It beat a Rampardos. Isn't that beating something? It also beat Gardenia's Turtwig as well.

And you know, the writers...like, y'know, write the show. They have the power to have it win things.

What do you mean?

I'll get to it in a second.

It beat a Rampardos. Isn't that beating something?

Wasn't that win also considered deus ex for somehow being able to throw the monster around as well as winning with a single razor leaf.

It also beat Gardenia's Turtwig as well.

Not by itself, let us not forget the bird did get a decent gut check in prior.

Overall I'm looking long term here, especially now that Chimchar's on the team and unlike the turtle, it (until stated otherwise it's gender is undefined to me) the bird and Aipom have reasons and legitiment backings to evolve, Turtwig realisticly has nothing to show that needs to evolve, but that's another problem given it can't stand out much from it's predecessors over all and in one case would be bashed by the fandom of the "saint"

Heck though the moment Paul showed he had a torterra put Turtwig's future in jeopardy, and at the moment i wouldn't even be sure of it evolving period because of that.

He still won them.

There's nothing wrong with it winning battles(though there's no chance in hell it could ever go toe to toe with Paul's torterra, even if it became one), but i'm just saying that in general in terms of development, potential evolutions and all it can not win at anything and plus we've seen the grass starters played too much in our faces in the past, and i say let it take a back seat this go round and let fire and water have the spotlight instead.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom