• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

And now for something completely different (starters)

FusengerShadow

Shiny Lucas is 1 in 8192
Reaction score
If for some reason Gen V went in a different direction as far as the starting triad, what triangle would you prefer to have for your starters? We're talking primary-type here, not secondary types as in Gen IV's Sinnoh starters.

My personal preference would be, as has been mentioned elsewhere, a new triangle with Psychic, Fighting, and Dark-type. The Pokemon would not have to be their primary types only, but their secondary types should still go in a different direction from Water/Fire/Grass.

The Psy/Fight/Dark triangle works well, until you realize that psychic type attacks can't hurt dark. At all. That's a huge break in the triangle.

A better triangle would be the never-mentioned Flying/Fighting/Rock.

That's true, Dark does have a full-on immunity to Psychic, but that would make more...interesting strategies necessary.

I didn't say that the new triangle still had to be similar to the natures of the original triangle. In fact, I actually like that little twist.

Well, I don't know about you, but I think that the startes will be Grass/Water/Fire type pokemon.

That's not what this thread is about, though. It's not about whether it will or won't be the traditional triad. Besides that, if GF doesn't think it should be, it won't, and if they want to keep it the same, they will. That's not the point of the thread.

The point of the thread, and the discussion I was trying to start, was if for some reason it's not the traditional triangle, what would you like to see?

To that end, GIROG has the right idea, and a very interesting triangle indeed. I wonder how many people forget that Rock is effective against Flying, at least until their Pidgeotto/Staravia/Noctowl/whatever gets owned by an Onix.

dark, psychic, fighting. No would use fighting to defeat psychic and psy to defeat dark anyways.

I was thinking similarly, Ryuutakesh.

I know I personally would never consider sending out my Feraligatr against Silver's Meganium for any reason, nor did I in Gen I trust my Blastoise to take on Venusaur. This is no different than not sending out a Dark-type (like Umbreon) to take on a Fighting-type (like Machamp).

(And no, I was not saying Umbreon and Machop should be the Dark- and Fighting-type starters in Region V. Again, I would rather them be dual-typers, with the new triangle as the primary.)

Fight, Rock, Flying is more likely than Dark, Fight, Psy, since it would follow all same rules as Grass, Fire, Water.

But I doubt it would be changed anyway.

Considering we have had a primarily special triad for the past 4 generations, if it would change, it would go to a physical triad, probably flying/fighting/rock, or flying/ground/rock.

The Psychic-Dark relation in Psy/Dark/Fight is broken, it won't fit. Yeah, you think that doesn't matter, but the little kids can't take the immunity thing right at the beginning. Or something.

A better triangle would be the never-mentioned Flying/Fighting/Rock.

That's actually a good set, I haven't heard of that before. Unlike the current set, each participant has x1 to itself. The one other working one I remember seeing before was... Fire/Steel/Rock, if I'm not mistaken.

The Psychic-Dark relation in Psy/Dark/Fight is broken, it won't fit. Yeah, you think that doesn't matter, but the little kids can't take the immunity thing right at the beginning. Or something.
I tend to trust kids more, knowing that if brought up correctly, kids can be smarter than one would think. I know this firsthand, as my barely trans-2 year old niece has already figured out how to use my Pokewalker.

We must also have in mind that a STAB Razor Leaf is more powerful than Tackle/Pound/Scratch on a Fire type. This is another reason why having a Pokemon whit immunity to another starter is dumb. And please not say; no one would use a grass type vs. a fire type, many players only uses a very few Pokemon and might not want to catch any early-on Pokemon.

We must also have in mind that a STAB Razor Leaf is more powerful than Tackle/Pound/Scratch on a Fire type. This is another reason why having a Pokemon whit immunity to another starter is dumb. And please not say; no one would use a grass type vs. a fire type, many players only uses a very few Pokemon and might not want to catch any early-on Pokemon.

This.

Unlike me and you (passive voice) and a handful of people, these random kids do not immediately trade the advantageous starter to their game. Remember, to this date, the rival/pseudo-rival has always had the one the player's starter is weak against. In this case, if the player chose the Psy one, the rival has the Dark one.

I tend to trust kids more, knowing that if brought up correctly, kids can be smarter than one would think. I know this firsthand, as my barely trans-2 year old niece has already figured out how to use my Pokewalker.
But figured out on what level? To me, using Pokéwalker seems a lot easier than understanding and memorizing the 17 type chart.

steel is a horrible idea, since they always have higher defense it would make them slightly overpowered early on.

steel is a horrible idea, since they always have higher defense it would make them slightly overpowered early on.
Maybe make an exception and make the Steel starter have relatively low Defense? The generally worse accuracy of Steel-type moves could compensate for their defensive skills anyway.

That title really gets me. Something completely different... It's not different at all!

Triangles need to be Super Effective against one type, NVE against the other, and NVE against themselves to be considered a true triangle. Buuuut... since that last part is a little hard to pull off, I'm sure we can ignore it.

Could go Steel -> Rock -> Fire like someone said earlier if you want.

Poison -> Grass -> Ground is also another one.

Of course, both of those reuse existing triangle types, so maybe they aren't as appealing.

Hey now, why not just have 'em all be Dragon or Ghost dual-type? Weak and strong against all 3!! Bwuahahahaha!!

Hey now, why not just have 'em all be Dragon or Ghost dual-type? Weak and strong against all 3!! Bwuahahahaha!!
Funny. :)

To answer UltimateSephiroth's question, admittedly, she's figured out that pressing buttons on my Walker/remote controls does things. Nothing more complex that that. But regardless and aside from that, she is quite far along for someone her age. And I've been teaching her how to say Eevee. lol

That being said, I still don't see any reason why people for whom the Pokemon games are intended shouldn't (assuming average intelligence) understand immunity, especially considering how long that mechanic has been in the games. Psychics have been completely ineffective against Dark-types since the Dark type was introduced, have they not? And even new players, assuming average intelligence, should be able to handle it.

Starters generally only have Normal attacks early on, anyway, so the only problem would come later in the game, by which time the player would have already built up a team to take on whatever comes at them.

Also, because of what I just stated (starters having only Normal-type attacks at the beginning), I just realized that triangles with Rock, Steel, or Ghost types wouldn't work. Rock or Steel types wouldn't be able to take enough damage even in early stages, and you wouldn't be able to hit a Ghost with anything if it was the type you were weak against (unless you somehow leveled up enough to learn an elemental attack).

1. The only possible triangle that would even work in the same way Fire> Grass > Water does without reusing one of those 3 is Fighting > Rock > Flying.

Super effectiveness is not the only way the circle goes. It's not just an offensive triangle. It works defensively too. Fire is not only super effective against grass, it resists it as well. Water is not only super effective against fire, it resists it as well.

No other triangle works this way other than Fighting > Rock > Flying, Grass > Ground > Poison, or Fire > Steel > Rock. The later two reuse Fire and Grass from the original triangle though.

2. I am completely against the changing of the classic Grass > Water > Fire starter trio as it is a staple of Pokemon and Pokemon would just not be the same without it. So I say no to the idea. Just, no.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom