• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Animated DP sprites

TTEchidna

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Now I know since Crystal we've had the tradition of animating the third version sprites, but here we were presented with a problem...

DP animated them, too.

Now, of course, we just use the simple battle frame as our display icon, which is okay for now...

But Platinum's are animated too. Uh oh.

Now, to save all the hassle of reuploading every DP sprite and all the Pt sprites we have so far... I got one question.

Anyone know where the animated DP sprites might be able to be found? I can create a very quick and easy solution to this filename problem... with animated pngs.

And the best part is that if I set the battle frame as the start frame, it'll look the same to those with browsers that lack support for animated pngs.

Well, I know that PKMN.com gives the different sprites separately (not animated, with two different lists for first and second frame). And the shiny ones.

[Animated .pngs? I assume that you don't mean .mngs. If so, this would help me a bit...]

No, I mean animated pngs. Like, a stationary gif and animated one have the same file extension. These ones keep the .png one.

And I've seen the two-frame things. That's the problem, we need the animation of them.

I say we're probably just going to have to wait until the release to get the sprites...

It's only 11 days away anyway.

There are ways to animate pngs. Mostly they can be made from a simple psd that is processed through a png animator but native support for exportation should begin to be included in stuff like GIMP, Photoshop, and of course everyone's pal, the now owned by Adobe and therefore integratable with .psd files, Flash, soon. Firefox 3 and Opera support the display of them as well, but IE7 doesn't, and thus just shows the first frame.

For right now, we could essentially use a gif file and make it a png by saving it as a psd, then running it through one of those converters, but ideally I'd hope for individual frames of an animated sprite to be saved as pngs, or even together as a psd, and then transformed.

...unfortunately, I don't know who rips the DP sprites and animations, and therefore... can't. So until we find out who it is...

Anyway, this is the Emerald Bulbasaur sprite in png format.

Last edited:
All the sprites I see on Bulbagarden are credited to Fabu-Vinny, you could ask him.

Not apng, those are just png. The people who made the png standard decided to make apng instead of just expanding on plain old png. The animated one I put on here, that's a png. And if you DON'T have a new and awesome browser (meaning you choose to use IE), the animation just stays on the first frame, the one that appears in battle after the animation has finished.

Also: if you have a new browser...

You have to click it; it doesn't animate when it's a thumbnail (thank goodness, unlike gifs).

It works for me. Nice.
Also, the other one says "your browser does not support animated PNGs," then flashes "JUST KIDDING!" and plays a segment of what I think is Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley.

Well, we're on our way to becoming the strongest advocates for anipng.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom