• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Animated Isshu/Unova in Relation to America

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. If you changed her skin color to white, she would look completely normal, not so with Lenora and the other black trainers.

Huh?

Black_White_Lenora.png

Black_White_Iris.png

Black_White_Marshal.png

I don't see any difference.

Anyone ever think Iris could be Native American? The region is based on America, her skin tone reminds me of a Native American more than a black person, & she is very close with nature (trying so hard not to stereotype).

The hair does make a lot of sense though... I could see Iris being a mix of black & Native American.

Actually Iris in the Cartoon's skin was lightened probably to avoid any conflict.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. If you changed her skin color to white, she would look completely normal.
If you ignore the giant purple hair.

Does this topic really need to be about Iris's skin color?

If you ignore the giant purple hair.

Does this topic really need to be about Iris's skin color?

It's for so about "Cartoon Isshu/Unova in Relation to America".

Since Iris is the cartoons first African American lead character it's kinda a milestone for Pokemon. Since all other characters have been Japanese. I'm guessing Pod, Corn, Shooti, Arti, Araragi, and Dento are suppose to be Caucasian.

From my experience of watching other anime series that at one point or another have a reference to American characters and backgrounds, more often than not I'll spot an African-American somewhere in the mix. Ojamajo Doremi comes to mind; one of the main characters was a Japanese-American who transfers from New York to Japan, and whenever she has flashbacks of her life back in America, her best friend back home was black. I'm pretty sure there are a few other series that just aren't coming to mind at the moment that have the same scenario.

But add that and the fact that there've literally been no black people at all in Pokemon until Gen V (I always considered Phoebe to be just really tan) is rather telling that they associate the race with our country heavily. I guess the "cultural melting pot" slogan that goes with our country leads to that.

But really, beyond that, in the Japanese version of the games, there are tons of NPC trainers that have American or otherwise distinctly foreign names, so it isn't just the major characters that this is reflected towards. Sure, foreign trainers you can fight have been a part of the games for a long time, but usually it's only a handful. In Black & White I swear 50% of the people you run into have non-Japanese names. Not to mention bringing trainer classes like AMERICAN FOOTBALL PLAYERS. Since I'm not following the series that well I'm not sure if this extends to the anime's CotDs, but I wouldn't be surprised.

And I suspect the haughty, xenophobic natures of some of the main characters (hi, Iris and Trip) might be in reference to the less-than-polite attitudes of many common Americans. I can admit we of the States can be bonafide jerks who'd probably be all like "Oh what? You know nothing of America? LOL LITTLE KID"

and I'd better just shut myself up before I start digging myself a grave.

In Victini and the Black Hero: Zekrom. Karita one of the characters in the movie and her family are called "People of the Earth" and come from "The Country of the Earth" and there are only a few of them left and they are nearly wiped out making me think she and her people are meant to be based off Native Americans.

In Victini and the Black Hero: Zekrom. Karita one of the characters in the movie and her family are called "People of the Earth" and come from "The Country of the Earth" and there are only a few of them left and they are nearly wiped out making me think she and her people are meant to be based off Native Americans.

They are.

Just look at Mr. Multi-colored hair himself, Dread Grangil.

Dread_Grangil_M14.png

They are.

Just look at Mr. Multi-colored hair himself, Dread Grangil.

Dread_Grangil_M14.png

So, that's 1, 2, 3, different races in the series at once. Nice to know it's getting more diverse. Iris being African-American, Karita and her people being Native American, and Satoshi being Japanese.

Do you happen to know where the location is based off.

I live in lower Manhattan, and wow does Hiun/Castelia remind me of it. From the financial district, to shady backalleys, to FREAKING LONG ASS LINES AT ICE CREAM STANDS.

How's that a facepalm? There's blantant proof she's Black.

Or do you have to be drawn and speak in a stereotypical way to be considered African-American?

Black people aren't the only people that can have Iris' skin tone. I've seen multi-racial people, Native Americans, Hispanics and some Asian people (Brock!) that have similar skin tones to her. Lenora, on the other hand, is clearly black because of how dark her skin color is. And saying Iris' hair makes her African American seems a little stereotypical, IMO. Her hair is unrealistically large and you don't see anybody with a huge hairstyle like hers.

I don't see any blatant proof that Iris is black, to be honest. She could be, but basing it off her skin color doesn't really work since that skin tone could apply to a number of different races/backgrounds if you think about it.

I've seen multi-racial people, Native Americans, Hispanics and some Asian people (Brock!) that have similar skin tones to her.
Takeshi was obviously Japanese, so are Hikari, Kasumi, Satoshi, Masato, and Haruka.

Lenora, on the other hand, is clearly black because of how dark her skin color is.
Clearly black? You know, Aloe's skin tone is identical to Iris's right? Check out Martian Mister's post.
Black_White_Lenora.png

Black_White_Iris.png

Black_White_Marshal.png

And saying Iris' hair makes her African American seems a little stereotypical, IMO. Her hair is unrealistically large and you don't see anybody with a huge hairstyle like hers.
I'm basing it off Iris' hair, color, name as well as the fact Isshu is based on America. It makes it pretty obvious to me that Iris was a meant by GAME FREAKS to be a African-American girl.

Dento seems pretty Caucasian to me. Mostly because JNP people tend to stereotype American men as having small eyes. The fact his name is Dento and he tends to sprinkle in many English words in his speech when he talks.

Takeshi was obviously Japanese, so are Hikari, Kasumi, Satoshi, Masato, and Haruka.

Okay... ?_? I don't understand what that has to do with the point I was making.

Clearly black? You know, Aloe's skin tone is identical to Iris's right? Check out Martian Mister's post.
Black_White_Lenora.png

Black_White_Iris.png

Black_White_Marshal.png

No, they aren't identical. Lenora is darker than Iris is, and it's not that difficult to tell that.

I'm basing it off Iris' hair, color, name as well as the fact Isshu is based on America. It makes it pretty obvious to me that Iris was a meant by GAME FREAKS to be a African-American girl.

Iris' hair doesn't make her African American. Her color, nor her name, definitely don't. Unova being based on the U.S. doesn't help your case either, since it's not like that skin tone is exclusive to black people in the U.S. We don't know what race Game Freak intended for Iris to be, and basing it off her brown skin color, and even her name (wtf?) don't really make sense to me but whatever.

I live in lower Manhattan, and wow does Hiun/Castelia remind me of it. From the financial district, to shady backalleys, to FREAKING LONG ASS LINES AT ICE CREAM STANDS.
Oh Arceus, with the truth. X_X This...so much of this.

Anyone been to Newark? I think Castelia City and Skyarrow Bridge resemble Newark quite a bit.

No, they aren't identical. Lenora is darker than Iris is, and it's not that difficult to tell that.
They look the same to me.Children typically are lighter then adults anyway.

Iris' hair doesn't make her African American. Her color, nor her name, definitely don't. Unova being based on the U.S. doesn't help your case either, since it's not like that skin tone is exclusive to black people in the U.S. We don't know what race Game Freak intended for Iris to be, and basing it off her brown skin color, and even her name (wtf?) don't really make sense to me but whatever.
I said her hair was a indicator, her skin tone is an idicator, and the fact she's got an typical american name is an indicator. Yes it does sense we saw far less African Americans in previous games as opposed to the many of them were seeing in BW. I honestly don't see what's so bad about having an African-American lead in Pokemon, I'm just telling you the vibes I'm getting from the fact her skin tone is almost exact as Aloe's as well as her hair, nationality, and overall look and I don't know about you but that outfit just screams African to me the look of it reminds me of cultural african clothes.

Since I keep hearing Aloe is African-American. When was that confirmed?

I mean Karita and the "People of the Earth" are based off Indians. I just noticed that because my great grandma is a full blood one, her look and backstory just screamed Indian to me. Has it been confirmed? No, but If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

Last edited:
Oh Arceus, with the truth. X_X This...so much of this.

Anyone been to Newark? I think Castelia City and Skyarrow Bridge resemble Newark quite a bit.

Yeah, I can see a bit Newark in Castelia City. You can absolutely tell it's based off of NYC though. Ramion City kinda reminds me of Coney Island (with the arcades and roller coasters)

I'm trying to figure out if there's anywhere in Unova that reminds me of Long Island. (where I live; a part of NY that no one associates with NY)I can't think of anything though.

They look the same to me.Children typically are lighter then adults anyway.

I don't know where you got that from but okay!!1!11!!!

I said her hair was a indicator, her skin tone is an idicator, and the fact she's got an typical american name is an indicator. Yes it does sense we saw far less African Americans in previous games as opposed to the many of them were seeing in BW. I honestly don't see what's so bad about having an African-American lead in Pokemon, I'm just telling you the vibes I'm getting from the fact her skin tone is almost exact as Aloe's as well as her hair, nationality, and overall look and I don't know about you but that outfit just screams African to me the look of it reminds me of cultural african clothes.

I never knew having brown skin in America automatically meant you were black. I ALSO didn't know, that being named Iris means you are definitely a black person. Thanks for enlightening me bro!

Since I keep hearing Aloe is African-American. When was that confirmed?
You can tell by looking at her. The difference with Iris is, her skin is brown, which could apply to a plethora of different races, or mixtures of races. But alright, you can keep thinking Iris is black I guess. I dunno how it's obvious but if that works for you, have at it.

I mean Karita and the "People of the Earth" are based off Indians. I just noticed that because my great grandma is a full blood one, her look and backstory just screamed Indian to me. Has it been confirmed? No, but If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.
Okay. Lol.

Try not to over-do it with the race discussion. Please and thank you.

I don't know where you got that from but okay!!1!11!!!
Ya know. You didn't have to be rude you said, Aloe had dark skin that made it apparent she was obviously African American. I replied saying AA children usually have lighter skin then adults.

I never knew having brown skin in America automatically meant you were black. I ALSO didn't know, that being named Iris means you are definitely a black person. Thanks for enlightening me bro!
Did you even read my post? I provided some few indicators in Iris that made me thing she was AA. Ok, I'll break it down for you.

1.Unova is based on America so we see more African-American people here then in previous generations.
2.Iris is a typical American name making me think she's African-American.
3.Her hair reminds me of a steretypical African-American little girl's hair.
4.Her Skin Tone is dark enough that I consider her along with the other things mention to be African-American.

I explained to you using Karita my reasoning once again.

You kinda contradict yourself saying you think Aloe is AA based off looks, but critcize me for it by thinking it about Iris ya know :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom