• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Archives Animated Sprites ?

Oshakpop

Reaction score
Ok, so I've found many different Black and White animated sprites, the only problem? They don't meet the resolutions that are needed on the Archives. There all supposed to be 96x96 but they are all random.

So, does anyone know of any editing tools or software to help do this?? Like, increase the resolution, without harming the image?

(If this is in the wrong place, feel free to move)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Archives:Animated Sprites ?

What format are they in? If they are animated gifs that you plan to convert to anipngs, you can use a number of image editing programs. Use the function to resize the canvas.

If they are already anipngs, then the only way to do it would be to extract the frames and resize the first one. Then set the offsets for all subsequent frames to line them all up when recreating the anipng.

Re: Archives:Animated Sprites ?

It's nearly impossible to safely re-size that small of an image without some damage, but if they're all random (and close to the same sizes), I'll hazard a guess and say that they've not been resized, but cropped.
To elaborate on what Werdnae said; a number of programs will work for editing, with Photoshop being particularly notable, and GIMP being a good option as well if you need something free. You'll be looking for the option to resize the canvas, not the image; resizing the canvas will only add or remove whitespace around the sprite, and won't actually resize the sprite itself (thus saving you from possibly destroying the sprite itself). Resizing the image would resize the whole thing, which would have unwanted effects on the sprite.

Worth noting that, in the case of Photoshop at least, you can set "actions"; basically record yourself fixing one sprite and saving it, and then you can simply play back the recorded "action" to make the next hundred-odd sprites go by that much quicker. Google a tutorial; you can set it to automate an entire folder's worth of images.
(I've got very little knowledge of GIMP's more advanced functions, but it possibly has a similar feature in there somewhere.)

How come it must be 96x96?

I also have some animated gif sprite of Pokemon BW from somewhere else, but because the sprite's Pokemon is moving, you'll definitely need larger canvas than the Pokemon itself in order to fit its motion.

Specifically the Pokemon sprites that were already having large static sprites in the first frame, if you includes their animated motion, you are just unable to get animated sprite smaller than 96x96. The Pokemon BW gif sprites I have were already been cropped to minimum canvas size and maintaining in original resolutions, but still there are many that are larger than 96x96.

Resize and crop will not help, because either method will destroy the quality of the animation. Why don't you rather alter the Bulbapedia's Archive sprite uploading resolution requirement, such that sprite of any size can be upload? (Only if this method is possible)

Canvas size, it expands the photo, but leaves the photo untouched, on most photo editing programs.

How come it must be 96x96?

Resize and crop will not help, because either method will destroy the quality of the animation. Why don't you rather alter the Bulbapedia's Archive sprite uploading resolution requirement, such that sprite of any size can be upload? (Only if this method is possible)

96X96 because that's what the game's data uses (I think) Or because veekun uses them like that.

If we want to upload them in different sizes, talk to Jello.

Due to the way some sprites are animated, you're going to get some that break the 96x96 boundaries.

For example, Lugia is 158x99 as seen here:

attachment.php

Attachments

• BW Lugia.gif
    BW Lugia.gif
    78.2 KB · Views: 483
I compiled a package of all animated sprites a while back, they may not all be the same resolution, but the package covers almost all Pokemon sprites. The only ones missing are subtle gender differences and the shinies.

Just wanted to post it here just in case you guys need it.

Use would be on bulbapedia. But their first frame may be off, it's really technical. I've tried doing this kind of thing.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom