• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Manga Anime and/or manga that you initially did not like but ended up loving it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haruka_Rules!

Long live Haruka (May)!
Reaction score
The one anime that comes to my mind was Rurouni Kenshin. When I first watched it at my friend's house way back in 2001, I did not really care for it since I was more interested in mecha and sci-fi type anime. At that time, I saw the English dubbed version. I watched a couple episodes again about 2 years later when it was aired on Toonami (for those of you that remember this) but I still was not interested. The fall of 2004 is when the anime finally caught my eye. One my friends introduced me to the manga which I read and fell in love to a point I ended up buying the first 7 volumes in one day. A few days later, I decided to watch the anime again using my friend's DVDs (this time in Japanese with English subs) and by the time I finished the first season, I was hooked and became a fan of the franchise. I have the complete TV series and all of the OVAs, movie and live action films. I also own all of the manga volumes as well. I still prefer the manga over the anime but I love the anime and it's one my favorite anime and manga of all time. It also got me Japanese culture as well which I'm still into to this day. :ksmile:

I guess what got me into Rrouni Kenshin was the manga and watching the subtitled version of the anime which, in my opinion, is much better in Japanese than English dubbed. ;-)

Was there any anime that you initially did not like or not care about but after a certain period of time, ended up liking it so much that you became a fan of it?

One anime that I didn't like in the beginning are Samurai Champloo. I watched the first like 4ish episodes on Samurai Champloo and couldn't stand it. Gory violence is something I cant stand and it had a lot of that in there. Almost a year later I watched an episode on AdultSwim that for some reason I thought was hysterical so I tried watching it again from the beginning and found out the whole show was funny if you got past all the violence. It's the only "gory" anime I own and like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom