• All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

Huggable Alolan Raichu
Reaction score
To be fair, I think characters like Principal Oak and James getting far into the Alola League are pretty fair points against the Alola League. I wouldn't use the whole not a real League argument, especially when people have been doing that to the Orange Islands League for ages, but I think those are pretty good reasons to not see winning the Alola League as that big of an accomplishment if characters like James could get far ahead. Aside from Ash, Gladion, Guzma and maybe Kiawe, none of the other SM characters would stand a chance in a regular Pokemon League, especially when most of them don't have more than two Pokemon on their teams.

A part of me can't really blame people for saying that he should have won the Kalos League instead either. There was just a lot more hype going into the Kalos League with Ash-Greninja and the results not being spoiled or completely obvious for once. There was still a lot of excitement when Ash won the Alola League, which was nice, but despite that outcome, I don't think that there was as much excitement for the Alola League as a whole. It still might be a bit much to be still that upset about it, but given all of the excitement around the Kalos League at the time, I can understand why it's still a bit of a sore spot, especially when people still complain about Tobias and Cameron after all these years.
Overall, I think the Alola League is severely underrated, and many people's judgment of it is clouded by bias and saltiness towards the Kalos League, instead of trying to objectively judge it on its own. Also, while I'm ready to believe the victory was an "apology" for the Kalos League finals, I also think it could've just as much been a reference to the Alola games, where the player character and the first Champion of Alola is originally from Kanto.

Me and the boys after winning our first league
Reaction score
Overall, I think the Alola League is severely underrated, and many people's judgment of it is clouded by bias and saltiness towards the Kalos League, instead of trying to objectively judge it on its own. Also, while I'm ready to believe the victory was an "apology" for the Kalos League finals, I also think it could've just as much been a reference to the Alola games, where the player character and the first Champion of Alola is originally from Kanto.
Alola league was the best one by far. Ash winning has way more significance than just being 'damage control' for the Kalos league. Had he not beaten Gladion, he wouldn't have been able to battle Kukui and Tapu Koko in the first place, which has so much emotional significance to the plot and themes of Alola. I doubt the writers would've left those loose threads.

Reaction score
I have never seen an anime fandom has biased and as full of hatred as some were towards SM. Even the people that hate Journeys just don’t watch every single episode and are just apathetic but during SM even the people that hated it still watched it every week and commented on it, shows you the magic.

Huggable Alolan Raichu
Reaction score
A poll has been conducted this month on an official website to determine which Pokémon movie is the most popular one in each of the first five series.

• Original series: Pokémon Heroes: Latios & Latias
  • Ruby & Sapphire: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew
  • Diamond and Pearl: The Rise of Darkrai
  • Black & White: Genesect and the Legend Awakened
  • XY: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages

Reaction score
The BW and XY movies really aren't much to write home about, and mainly exist to promote the new event Pokemon with story coming second. Serena, Bonnie and Clemont aren't even in the manga for the Volcanian movie, and it doesn't impact the story at all.

Reaction score
A poll has been conducted this month on an official website to determine which Pokémon movie is the most popular one in each of the first five series.

I can agree with each one of these except for DP. I don't know why but I haven't felt why Rise of Darkrai is praised so much. I mean it's a good movie but completely overrated in my opinion and the other DP Movies were much better than it imo.

potato
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
she/her

I absolutely adored Heroes and Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, so I'm especially happy seeing those on the list :enzap: Also adored the Deoxys movie but sometimes I feel like a minority in that lol.

Now with Mega Evolution
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him/His
I absolutely adored Heroes and Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, so I'm especially happy seeing those on the list :enzap: Also adored the Deoxys movie but sometimes I feel like a minority in that lol.
No, I loved Destiny Deoxys! I was actually kind of surprised it didn’t beat out Lucario.

Reaction score
I really hope that Hop won't get the Hau SM treatment. I wouldn't be surprised if he did, but it would be such a massive disappointment.
Better to not have him appear at all if this is the case.

Also yuck to the Hoopa movie being the most popular of the XY movies. Goes to show just how much of a waste of time those movies were outside of the last one.

Reaction score
No, I loved Destiny Deoxys! I was actually kind of surprised it didn’t beat out Lucario.
Lucario and the Mystery of Mew is held up as one of the best post-Indigo League series movies full stop. Interesting setting, great backstory, fantastic character work and Lucario is incredibly well fleshed out for a guest Pokemon. Usually they're there to promote something or have a gimmick, but Lucario has a whole character arc. The lack of an antagonist is also refreshing, since the plot is a rescue mission rather than a save the world thing. We Will Meet Again goes without saying.

I do enjoy Destiny Deoxys, and LaRousse City is a great locale for how it uses technology. Having a crippling fear of Pokemon in a world full of them and living in a population hub can't be easy.

Huggable Alolan Raichu
Reaction score
Having a crippling fear of Pokemon in a world full of them and living in a population hub can't be easy.
Yeah. And yet, the same boy is friends with a strange dancing mysterious light thing that's not creepy or strange at all. And why is he scared of all Pokémon, and not just those that nearly trampled him?

Now with Mega Evolution
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him/His
Lucario and the Mystery of Mew is held up as one of the best post-Indigo League series movies full stop. Interesting setting, great backstory, fantastic character work and Lucario is incredibly well fleshed out for a guest Pokemon. Usually they're there to promote something or have a gimmick, but Lucario has a whole character arc. The lack of an antagonist is also refreshing, since the plot is a rescue mission rather than a save the world thing. We Will Meet Again goes without saying.
I mean honestly I have no idea what the actual ratings are, I was just basing it off of my own opinion and that of some of my friends. I do enjoy LatMoM, but I still generally prefer DD for its characters and plot. This Side of Paradise is also a nostalgic song for me.

Reaction score
GROOKEY IS COMING ON MAY 12!!!

View: https://twitter.com/pakugyu/status/1359687492144828417?s=19

So Grookey already has a Trainer eh?

Seems a little repetitive to do the same "Trainer Abandons their Pokémon" plotline after we had Gengar for that already.

Not to mention there will be a LOT of comparisons to Chimchar. (Both Abandoned Monkey Starters)

But also Grookey seems a little too happy in the Previews if it's indeed an abandoned Pokémon? So that's a bit strange

Reaction score

I knew Japan had a weird obsession with this movie, but not to the point it could beat Movie 1. Hopefully it leads to Bianca returning since she was somewhat interesting.
The most popular movies post-OS, even in the west, so it's not a surprise.
I guess controversy and nostalgic Pokemon made more of an impact than what the other 4 movies did.

Huggable Alolan Raichu
Reaction score
I knew Japan had a weird obsession with this movie, but not to the point it could beat Movie 1. Hopefully it leads to Bianca returning since she was somewhat interesting.
They do? Huh. Interesting. Ash could then maybe reunite with and catch Latias, after all!

Reaction score
GROOKEY IS COMING ON MAY 12!!!

View: https://twitter.com/pakugyu/status/1359687492144828417?s=19

So Grookey already has a Trainer eh?

Seems a little repetitive to do the same "Trainer Abandons their Pokémon" plotline after we had Gengar for that already.

Not to mention there will be a LOT of comparisons to Chimchar. (Both Abandoned Monkey Starters)

But also Grookey seems a little too happy in the Previews if it's indeed an abandoned Pokémon? So that's a bit strange
Could potentially be traded or given away without it feeling like a rehash. I guess we can only wait and see what actually happens.