• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

I get bothered how in most of the movies Ash’s companions do NOTHING and are treated like side characters.
Also Ash in JN Artstyle looks wrong.
I'm noticing a weird trend between the two of us where I'll agree with one thing then disagree with the other lol. I feel like we should start counting...

About the movies...I especially got annoyed with that in Temple of the Sea: seriously, Ash did absolutely jack throughout the ENTIRE movie yet for some reason is the big hero at the end??? What was the point in May being the focus then???

I'm noticing a weird trend between the two of us where I'll agree with one thing then disagree with the other lol. I feel like we should start counting...

About the movies...I especially got annoyed with that in Temple of the Sea: seriously, Ash did absolutely jack throughout the ENTIRE movie yet for some reason is the big hero at the end??? What was the point in May being the focus then???
Most of the older movies tend to make Ash the star. May is lucky she even got a subplot in a movie since most of Ash's companions don't even get that. Besides that the way most of AG was written had May play second fiddle to Ash a lot of the time.

I get bothered how in most of the movies Ash’s companions do NOTHING and are treated like side characters.
Also Ash in JN Artstyle looks wrong.
I also recall a tendency for non-Pikachu Pokémon to maybe have a start-of-film battle and then mostly sit around being cutesy.
Like in Lucario and the Mystery of Mew--I really liked that film but it stuck out how everyone except Pikachu stands still and forgot their training so the Weavile duo can freeze them to allow Pikachu's "capture" to happen.

I’m glad they made the alternative time-line films, separate from the non-canon movies that went alongside the anime ones. Not only because we got “I Choose You”, which might just be my favourite of all the films, but the main reason is because out of all of them, BW and XY easily had the worst, and you could tell they were becoming stale. They were just plain, predictable messes with generally no interest in actually establshing the characters with the legendaries, or the legendaries themselves of what they are and how they work. The only one I thought was decent was the Keldeo one, and even that was fairly boring at times. Most of the time it’s just Ash getting involved with the legendary, beat villains, and nothing happens. There’s like one sacrifice, we’re supposed to be sad, despite knowing practically nothing about the legendary, and boom - movie.

I agree with you. Unfortunately, in the Pokémon movies, Ash has always been elevated to the position of star in the show. This is even more evident in Temple of the Sea, in which Ash steals the protagonism that was being given to the other lead character. Watching this movie today, it even feels a little sexist, in the sense that the female character could not play a heroic role, but only an emotional one.

On the other hand, I believe that only in the third generation movies was there any real interest in giving some focus to Ash's companions, whether it's Jirachi — Wish Maker (Max) or Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea (May). From what I remember, Ash's companions are side characthers par excellence in the other films.

Last edited:
BW and XY easily had the worst, and you could tell they were becoming stale.
I feel like the DP movies should deserve a spot there as well. Seriously, the amount of boring exposition and random and pointless action scenes in the DP movie trilogy is insane. I haven't watched the Zoroark movie, but if it's anything like the previous three movies, then I don't want to. It was really hard to get invested in the character relationships presented and the movies themselves felt like drawn out filler episodes at best. These movies just screamed lazy writing in my opinion and didn't really bother telling an actual story worthy of being turned into a film.

I feel like the DP movies should deserve a spot there as well. Seriously, the amount of boring exposition and random and pointless action scenes in the DP movie trilogy is insane. I haven't watched the Zoroark movie, but if it's anything like the previous three movies, then I don't want to. It was really hard to get invested in the character relationships presented and the movies themselves felt like drawn out filler episodes at best. These movies just screamed lazy writing in my opinion and didn't really bother telling an actual story worthy of being turned into a film.
I feel the first three DP movies were at least okay, with movie 10 probably being the best one out of them. But movie 12 is definitely not that great. Mainly because I hate that they introduced these two characters who were all like, "Remember those important events during the first two movies? Yeah, we were there too, actually. That makes us important too!" Yeah, no, you're not. Also, my suspension of disbelief was stretched pretty thin with how the time travel physics worked in that movie, and if you ask me, Arceus really wasn't portrayed as the god it is.

and if you ask me, Arceus really wasn't portrayed as the god it is.
The damn thing created entire dimensions and bowled over the combined efforts of three gods of space-time, but a meteor is where Arceus met its match.

My best guess is that it was testing the “God creating a rock He can’t lift” paradox and forgot Earth was in the way.

While I've watched every Pokémon movie just three years ago, I'd be lying if I didn't say my memory is already failing.

From what I remember, the Darkrai film is that old story that Darkrai is a good fellow, but it's misunderstood or even cursed. I found the movie, overall, pretty dull. Giratina's Movie wouldn't be bad if it weren't for shaymin, which is a real pain in the ass. The Arceus movie is what I least remember at the time and what I least remember now (Lol). On paper, it looks interesting, but I just remember that I came away frustrated. Zoroark film is, in my opinion, the best of the generation. However, it's probably the most action-packed either.

Last edited:
Ah yes the 2 canon Pokemon x Pokemon ships

Buneary x Pikachu and Cinderace x Lucario :p

(Both of Ash's Aces have a Bunny Bae how adorable)

(I swear to Arceus all this Buneary merch better not be misleading)

Pikachu is an older brother to Lucario and Goh is like a best friend to Ash. Gen 4 remakes have released and a winter special arc with sinnoh legends is coming up. This is no coincidence

I'm sorry I'm not normally one to ask these things but is there something wrong with Bulbagarden that it had to go through 3 maintenances in the last 24 hours?

op2nu30rgab51.jpg

The best ships are the ones that were clearly unintended yet pushed strangely often
Honestly, in my opinion, Pikachu and Meowth had the best dynamic compared to any other pokemon. There's just so much chemistry and history in every single one of their interactions. Remember that dream episode from XY? They were tense around each other at first, but then you see them quickly adapt: therein lies the history. You wouldn't understand why they were so on board with working together unless you knew their history, which is what makes it so great. Especially when you later have them show genuine concern for each other. It isnt one dimensional, either, like many other dynamics tend to do. They don't just flip a switch and automatically become complacent to work together: it isn't forced. Thus why you have, in the episode I mentioned, Meowth screaming to give Squishy to the fire that was chasing them and Pikachu calling out his crap. They can still disagree, but it isn't to the extremes. There's a balance present.

I feel like I could write a synthesis essay on how well these two are written in this show.

Honestly, in my opinion, Pikachu and Meowth had the best dynamic compared to any other pokemon. There's just so much chemistry and history in every single one of their interactions. Remember that dream episode from XY? They were tense around each other at first, but then you see them quickly adapt: therein lies the history. You wouldn't understand why they were so on board with working together unless you knew their history, which is what makes it so great. Especially when you later have them show genuine concern for each other. It isnt one dimensional, either, like many other dynamics tend to do. They don't just flip a switch and automatically become complacent to work together: it isn't forced. Thus why you have, in the episode I mentioned, Meowth screaming to give Squishy to the fire that was chasing them and Pikachu calling out his crap. They can still disagree, but it isn't to the extremes. There's a balance present.

I feel like I could write a synthesis essay on how well these two are written in this show.
I recall there was one episode where everyone got split up in the Battle Frontier (I can't recall the name but the Pokémon were being pursued by some tough looking guys who were searching for a missing Pokémon) where after everyone gets hungry Meowth goes off to steal some food, accidentally gets the food legitimately, then when he returns with the food seems offended that Pikachu quickly assumes he stole it.

Part of why it works is that Pikachu seems to naturally lean towards getting along while Meowth is eager for acceptance and affection, so when Pikachu reaches out to him a few times he grabs onto it.
Another part is that--aside from maybe one or two Kanto moments--the TRio aren't murderous villains. So when Pikachu got hurt protecting him and Mew in the Lucario film it makes sense that Meowth helped rescue him and was concerned about the mouse's recovering after (and then if I recall tries to brag about it to Ash later:p).

Last edited:
I recall there was one episode where everyone got split up in the Battle Frontier (I can't recall the name but the Pokémon were being pursued by some tough looking guys who were searching for a missing Pokémon) where after everyone gets hungry Meowth goes off to steal some food, accidentally gets the food legitimately, then when he returns with the food seems offended that Pikachu quickly assumes he stole it.
I believe the episode you're thinking of is, "King and Queen for a Day."

Back
Top Bottom