• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

Someone came as Gou and a mob started to harass him..... then a person emptied a big bottle of soda over him.....
It ended with the cosplayer leaving the event, while others still jeered and tried to throw him other objects.
Okay, that is legitimately horrifying. I'll never understand how so many fans can't seem to grasp the fact that actors and cosplayers are not the same people as the characters they interpret. Especially since those characters are fictional. I understand perfectly that Goh's a massively controversial character, but hurting real people over the mishandling of a fictional character is beyond asinine.

If I seen someone dressed up like Goh at a con, I would simply ignore them. I might not like the character, but I'm not going to bully someone over a cosplay.

I am actually rethinking if I want to attend the Poke-Con......
This actually kinda bummed me out, because I can seriously understand not wanting to do something anymore because of the toxic environment. Those kind of reasons for not doing something anymore are just the worst, so I really feel for you. :bulbaLove:

But seriously, though, really? I've seen people who've had more reserved reactions to racist comments toward them than whatever the hell happened here. Imagine getting so offended to the point of borderline harassment just because...somebody dressed like a fictional character.

Okay, that is legitimately horrifying. I'll never understand how so many fans can't seem to grasp the fact that actors and cosplayers are not the same people as the characters they interpret. Especially since those characters are fictional. I understand perfectly that Goh's a massively controversial character, but hurting real people over the mishandling of a fictional character is beyond asinine.
You can't fix stupid.

Everything was horrible in this event, I also got mistreated because I didn't want to sing their requests.

Ended up glaring at them and singing 'Step' and 'Namae', instead of giving in.

I never imagined that even fans of KnY would hate Gou, some of them took part in that 'attack' too.

Many years ago, Conventions were fun and without these 'aggresions'.....
Except for those crazy fans of Serena, and Amour, that I mentioned before.

Last edited:
I went to an Anime Convention today.

Most people are still crazy about Kimetsu no Yaiba, a lot of cosplayers chose those characters.

Wanted to perform some anime songs from my repertoire.....
Got booed and demanded either to sing Gurenge or Homura, or to shut up.

Well...... Most probably that won't happen this January.....

Someone came as Gou and a mob started to harass him..... then a person emptied a big bottle of soda over him.....
It ended with the cosplayer leaving the event, while others still jeered and tried to throw him other objects.

Horrible fans still exist and have become even crueler than before....
That is disgraceful and I am ashamed to have these buffoons in the fandom.

Random person who cosplayed as Goh, I doubt you're reading this but if by any chance you are then I want you to know you DIDN'T deserve this. and there is nothing wrong with you, nor is there any wrong in dressing up as Goh. What happened says much more about these emotionally fragile bullies than it does about your favorite character or about you.

That is disgraceful and I am ashamed to have these buffoons in the fandom.

Random person who cosplayed as Goh, I doubt you're reading this but if by any chance you are then I want you to know you DIDN'T deserve this. and there is nothing wrong with you, nor is there any wrong in dressing up as Goh. What happened says much more about these emotionally fragile bullies than it does about your favorite character or about you.
People nowadays need to grow a backbone instead of being emotionally fragile little snowflakes.

I went to an Anime Convention today.

Most people are still crazy about Kimetsu no Yaiba, a lot of cosplayers chose those characters.

Wanted to perform some anime songs from my repertoire.....
Got booed and demanded either to sing Gurenge or Homura, or to shut up.
Man that's just plain rude and hurtful. I'm sorry that happened to you. It's already stressful just to get up on stage to sing or to do any kind of performance, but being yelled at to sing what the crowd wants like that is so mean. It just makes an already stressful situation much worse and much less fun as a result.

Well...... Most probably that won't happen this January.....

That is absolutely horrible. I feel so bad for that Goh cosplayer too. I don't know why people think that harassing and abusing a cosplayer because of how they feel about a character is okay. There are valid/understandable issues people have with Goh, but taking it out on people like his fans who wanted to dress up like him is unacceptable. I'm not surprised that there are really horrible toxic fans out there. I've seen plenty of fans like that online and those same people would definitely make conventions worse for everyone too. I am slightly surprised that the backlash on Goh would be that strong at an anime convention, mainly because I wouldn't expect a lot of people familiar with Journeys to show up there for some reason.

I really hope that Goh cosplayer is okay. Much like performing on stage, it takes a lot of energy just to be comfortable dressing up as your favorite character. Not to mention it can be time consuming depending on how detailed the costume is, so it isn't an easy task. I know that I couldn't do either one for multiple reasons. Showing up to a convention dressed up as a character you like only to end up being harassed, bullied and forced to leave is quite sad. It hits way too close to home for me as well. I just hope that they're safe, they had someone to help them through this too and it doesn't impact how they feel about Goh. Not being able to enjoy something you used to like because of terrible fans or terrible experiences like this one is just the worst.

"You're dressed up as Goh? That means you like him, which means you suck just as much as he does!"

That's just disgusting.

"You're dressed up as Goh? That means you like him, which means you suck just as much as he does!"

That's just disgusting.
In all my years of being on fandoms I had never once heard of any cases of people harassing cosplayers for the crime of cosplaying as an unpopular or divisive character. I legitimately never thought people could actually sink that low.

I mean, if we're gonna use "Goh sux" as an excuse to beat up people to cosplay as him we might as well run for the hills every time we see cosplayers of characters like the Joker or Tomura Shigaraki while we're at it because the fact that people dress up as them clearly means they must be mass murderers amirite? :lapras:

God damn man, really? That's so bad. Ik Goh's controversial, but I wouldn't imagine someone literally dressing up as him would get almost assaulted. You'd think grown adults would know better than this. I'm fed up at how the community's reacted to his character - from all the stupid psychopath/poacher labelling, to having flame wars over him and now this.

This is a new low, wow. And if it's not, that's even worse.

I don't like mangas at all. I only love animes even if i feel bored from anime in general but still anime is the something that i love.

The same for pokemon. I am waiting for the clash episode which is the 2 episodes between team rocket and team plasma

Aldo i feel that it is the time for releasong all banned episodes. Maybe i will buy these episodes from satoshi tajiri himself hahaha

I am slightly surprised that the backlash on Goh would be that strong at an anime convention, mainly because I wouldn't expect a lot of people familiar with Journeys to show up there for some reason.
If I were to make a guess, I would blame a certain local 'Celeb/Influencer'.
He is an open Gou-hater, and goes on tirades on his Instagram and when appearing on Tv.
However, his main reason is not the mishandling, overexposure or lack of distinctive traits; though still mentions those often.
Instead, it is his belief that Gou is in love with Satoshi and that should be disgraceful for any respectable media.

This is a new low, wow. And if it's not, that's even worse.
Now those Kimetsu no Yaiba fans are playing the typical 'Victim-blaming' card.
Claiming that the cosplayer offended/provoked them by choosing to portray Gou and attending.

Even the organisers have said that in future events they won't allow Gou-cosplayers.
After being asked about the attack. What kind of response is that......

That’s just completely ridiculous. Go night be a divisive character but there’s nothing about someone cosplaying as him that’s remotely offensive or provocative. When attending any convention, there are guidelines that the attendees are given and that mob without a doubt broke them and should have been forced to leave. Even worse is that the organizers make the Go cosplayer out to be the problem when he was the victim. What is this world coming to?

If I were to make a guess, I would blame a certain local 'Celeb/Influencer'.
He is an open Gou-hater, and goes on tirades on his Instagram and when appearing on Tv.
However, his main reason is not the mishandling, overexposure or lack of distinctive traits; though still mentions those often.
Instead, it is his belief that Gou is in love with Satoshi and that should be disgraceful for any respectable media.
So this certain local celeb is homophobic if he thinks that Goh being in love with Ash is disgraceful. I'm not really into the Ash and Goh pairing myself, but there's absolutely no harm in liking it or wanting the show to have more representation for the LGBTQ+ community. He just sounds like a straight up jerk, but that doesn't surprise me given the atmosphere of this convention you're describing. This also makes me more confident that the backlash towards Goh is way worse than Goh himself. Like I said before, there are valid issues people have with Goh, but this kind of toxic behavior is a thousand times worse than anything about Goh as far as I'm concerned.

Now those Kimetsu no Yaiba fans are playing the typical 'Victim-blaming' card.
Claiming that the cosplayer offended/provoked them by choosing to portray Gou and attending.

Even the organisers have said that in future events they won't allow Gou-cosplayers.
After being asked about the attack. What kind of response is that......
Admittedly, I have a hard time believing that the organizers would ban Goh cosplays, mainly because I haven't really heard about a lot of characters being banned from conventions like this, but I have heard of plenty terrible people managing conventions, so it wouldn't be a huge stretch either. Those Demon Slayer fans sound like the absolutely worse. Claiming that they were being offended or provoked because someone else wanted to show up dressing a character that they don't like is beyond stupid. Not to mention reminds me way too much of the logic of my many school yard bullies. If they're that upset to see someone else dressed up as Goh or any character that they actively choose to harass them or believe that they were provoked to being abusive jerks, then they seriously need some help and get over themselves

If the organizers' response to the attack was to just ban Goh cosplayers instead of forcing the bullies out of there, then I don't think that convention should have any kind of support going forward.

Back
Top Bottom