• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

@ii kanji Welcome! I'm bored for the lack of news too so I'll make a summary:

• As this year there's no movie, Japanese fans voted for 3 movies to be shown instead in selected theathers. The winners were Jirachi Wish Maker, Lucario and the Mystery of Mew and The Rise of Darkrai. The latter two I knew were popular but I can't imagine the first one beating all 5 of OS movies without bots.
  • The fandom can't decide whether the first round of the PWC is good or bad. Episode 3 is considered the best and Episode 1 the worst. They feature lots of Team Rocket moments that I hope you can watch unspoiled.
  • Two clipshows have been announced. They take the place of regular episodes in the programming and have a Chloe episode in between. And did I mention all that is in the middle of a tournament? Grookey gets lost sounds like a dream....(Through I'm contractually obligued to say one has a 5% chance to not be a clipshow)
  • The Arceus special might be coming to Netflix under the title "The Arceus Chronicles" as that title appears on Netflix' search bar.

@ii kanji Welcome! I'm bored for the lack of news too so I'll make a summary:

• As this year there's no movie, Japanese fans voted for 3 movies to be shown instead in selected theathers. The winners were Jirachi Wish Maker, Lucario and the Mystery of Mew and The Rise of Darkrai. The latter two I knew were popular but I can't imagine the first one beating all 5 of OS movies without bots.

Well, that might be because you had the wrong list of movies :sneaky:

The three movies we will be getting are actually:
M05 Pokemon Heroes
M06 Jirachi Wish Maker
M10 The Rise of Darkrai

Also, I'm not surprised at Jirachi Wish Maker making the cut, it is definitely more popular than Lucario and the Mystery of Mew in Japan.

As this year there's no movie, Japanese fans voted for 3 movies to be shown instead in selected theathers.
I wish this was happening outside of Japan too. I would honestly love to see some of the older movies in theaters (again, in the case of some of them). :cry:

M05 Pokemon Heroes
M06 Jirachi Wish Maker
M10 The Rise of Darkrai

Also, I'm not surprised at Jirachi Wish Maker making the cut, it is definitely more popular than Lucario and the Mystery of Mew in Japan.
M06 and M10 make sense, but dang, I guess I really had no idea Heroes was that well-loved. Apparently it also won a popularity poll in February of last year, where it was voted #1 out of all five OS movies. I'm a little surprised, because I feel like I don't hear that one talked about nearly as much as the rest over here.

Thanks for the update @Nicolas721 :bulbaWave: Sadly as I’ve been reading the episode review threads I don’t think I can exactly watch unspoiled Rockets, but I am sooooo happy that Musashi remembered her Pumpjin. (If only they’d managed to integrate them into the rest of the series like this I might have been watching this tournament instead of just reading everyone else’s opinions lmao!)

Do we know anything about what’s happening in the autumn yet?

M05 Pokemon Heroes
M06 Jirachi Wish Maker
M10 The Rise of Darkrai

In fact, this makes the list, in my view, even stranger.

I know M05 Pokemon Heroes is a reasonably popular movie, Ash's interaction with Latias is a classic in the franchise, and the movie's opening sequence is a lot of fun. However, this is, in my opinion, a low-budget movie that looks like a made-for-TV movie. This is in sharp contrast to the previous movie, Pokémon 4Ever, which had an impressive animation and image quality at the time. It certainly wouldn't be a movie I would choose to watch in the cinema.

I always thought M06 Jirachi Wish Maker was the least popular movie of its generation. I remember watching movie 9 and 8 (this one several times) on TV, but never 6 and 7. The fact that many people don't like Max and that M06 also seems to be the lowest cost movie of its generation, despite of the beautiful initial sequence of the assembly of the millennial fair, made me see it as a "smaller" movie.

M10 The Rise of Darkrai is probably the most famous movie of the 4th generation, but I never understood why. Certainly Darkrai is one of the most interesting mythicals, but the movie itself is not, nor is it the weary and misguiding rhetoric of incomprehension and prejudice towards the Pokémon, with its redemption at the end. Still, it's the only one that, to me, seems to make sense on this list.

Not much. Besides the Chloe episode and clip show titles, just the first semifinals title has been revealed: "The Semifinals I: Overwhelming Defeat".
Sorry I should have been clearer - I meant next series... if there is to be a new series of course :censored:

I vaguely suspect they won't reveal anything about gen 9's show until after the Leon battle ends, one way or the other, though honestly we've barely had any official news on the next gen games, either.

Sorry I should have been clearer - I meant next series... if there is to be a new series of course :censored:
I admit I'm curious in an almost morbid way what they'll do next. We've seen Ash beat full on regional champions now and it'd feel awfully silly for Pikachu to get KO'd by a Gym leader's Smoliv next year. I wonder if the writers realized that Iris battle was such a tipping point.

I admit I'm curious in an almost morbid way what they'll do next. We've seen Ash beat full on regional champions now and it'd feel awfully silly for Pikachu to get KO'd by a Gym leader's Smoliv next year. I wonder if the writers realized that Iris battle was such a tipping point.
Admittedly, that hasn't stopped them before. Ash won the Battle Frontier, only for him to lose to Paul and Rorok when DP started. Ash defeated Darkrai and Latios in DP only for him to then lose to an untrained Snivy. While I don't want something as drastic as losing to Trip to happen, Pikachu getting defeated by a new Pokemon or a new trainer after defeating huge opponents isn't unusual.

Personally, I still hope that they'll have Ash do Gyms again or at least be better able to incorporate new characters, locations and Pokemon from Scarlet/Violet in the next series. I can't judge the Master Class battles myself yet, but I still think that the PWC as a whole has been poorly handled. Ash defeating Champions sounds cool, but given that the structure of this tournament is one of my major issues with Journeys and his team has been poorly handled too, it feels a lot more hollow than it probably should be. I certainly can't see them just doing the PWC again since I don't expect them to continue the world tour gimmick after Journeys either.

Ash is Champion level, even if he loses to Leon he'll be #2 in the world.

Going from champion level back down to normal Gym leaders will be and even further regression than from the end of DP to BW. Unless you really want another Ash-style reset again.

Ash is Champion level, even if he loses to Leon he'll be #2 in the world.

Going from champion level back down to normal Gym leaders will be and even further regression than from the end of DP to BW. Unless you really want another Ash-style reset again.
Like I've said before, I don't see it as a regression, especially when Bea was arguably Ash's most difficult opponent in the PWC. I don't think a Gym quest would be a huge step down, but I've also thought that fans have overhyped the PWC from the moment it was introduced too. At least there would be better structure to Ash's goal and they wouldn't be devoting roughly the first half of the Gym quest to Ash battling against one-shot characters. They could easily say that the new Gym Leaders are significantly stronger too.

I should also clarify that I don't want a BW style reset, but rather I'm just expecting it for a couple of reasons. Since Ash has been the iconic protagonist for a couple of decades, there's no way that he'll be replaced or retired regardless of the outcome of the PWC. So by the nature of keeping him the protagonist, there's only so much they can realistically have him do. I also don't see them continuing on with the PWC in the next series. I definitely don't see the world tour gimmick lasting past Journeys. I also don't think that they'll have Ash defend his title if he does manage to win or attempt another battle against Leon. If they were interested in doing either option, I don't think that they would have rushed through the PWC like they have. They'll have something new for Ash to do for the next series. Whether it's Gyms or something else remains to be seen, but I doubt that the PWC is going to be involved or even play a huge role in what he does next.

Since at least BW, although it was probably from the start, Ash's role and personality is pretty much whatever the writers wanted him to be. He could be the slightly more serious cool kind of protagonist in XY or a bit of a goofier ten year old kind in SM. If they want Ash to be more comedic in the next series, then that's going to happen regardless of whether or not it is a believable transition from the previous series.

Back
Top Bottom