• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

So according to Kunihiko Yuyama (Executive Director of OS-SM/Creative Supvervisor of PM 2019) in the latest interview with Otomedia, Ash and Pikachu are being dropped as the protagonists basically because the staff thought that 25 years was a good run for the duo.

Last edited:
So apparently, according to Kunihiko Yuyama (Executive Director of OS-SM/Creative Supvervisor of PM 2019) in the latest interview with Otomedia, Ash and Pikachu are being dropped as the protagonists basically because the staff thought that 25 years was a good run for the duo.
I'm not sure how I feel about this. It does make it likely that the decision to replace Ash wasn't planned from the start of Journeys, or at least I don't get that impression that it was based on how the translation was worded, but it just feels like kind of an odd rationale for the decision too. Twenty five years is a long time, but that also just makes me wonder what's different about replacing Ash here as opposed to at the end of SM, DP or any of the other points fans have brought up replacing him over the years. Maybe I was just expecting a different kind of explanation, but it just feels kind of off to me, especially when replacing your iconic protagonist after twenty five years feels like a pretty huge risk and I'm still not sure how may payoff they can reasonably expect from doing so. It still wasn't made at the last minute since they would need to take a lot of time to get development with the new series off the ground, but if it wasn't decided on until they were wrapping up Ash and Goh's storylines, that could explain why it didn't feel like Journeys was building up to this moment for me despite the goal of the PWC in mind.

I'm also not really sure about their goal with the Aim To Be A Pokemon Master set of episodes. Now I haven't watched the episodes yet and I've only heard bits about them, but despite being labeled as the final chapter for Ash and Pikachu, nothing about what I've seen and heard of these episodes really gives off the impression that they're building up to a definitive ending. They sound more like having a fun sendoff for Ash while he travels with Misty and Brock again because nostalgia. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, but it doesn't really come off like the writers are trying to cover a lot of stuff fans have wanted over the years. To be fair, they are limited with just eleven episodes. Having at least twice the amount of the episodes would give them more to work with. Maybe it will look different once the finale airs, but I'm also not sure how much a definitive ending they can reasonably give Ash anyway. You'd think that they'd want to leave some room for him to appear again, whether it's in the next series, more specials, movies or whatever.

Yuyama’s comments read like empty platitudes rather than genuine answers. I suspect the key words are “I usually leave that up to management to decide”. I doubt it was his decision to retire Satoshi and Pikachu and I doubt very much that decision occurred as insinuated here - that he just felt their time was up at the end of PM19 and did the needful. I imagine it will be years (if ever) before we get some honest insight into this move.

Last edited:
Yuyama’s comments read like empty platitudes rather than genuine answers. I suspect the key words are “I usually leave that up to management to decide”. I doubt it was his decision to retire Satoshi and Pikachu and I doubt very much that decision occurred as insinuated here - that he just felt their time was up at the end of PM19 and did the needful. I imagine it will be years (if ever) before we get some honest insight into this move.
And people are taking Yuyama's word as something 100% certain when to me, it seems more like a personal opinion from him

That article is pure clickbait/misinterpreted

Last edited:

Well, that's a bit of a change from what we read in 2020.:sneaky:

Animedia: Satoshi's added another dream, hasn't he? "I'm gonna battle Dande again!"

Daiki Tomiyasu: I had always thought that, personally, the whole "Pokémon Master" thing was really quite vague and so one day I went up to the show's supervisor, Mr. Kunihiko Yuyama, and asked him "So what does Satoshi's "I wanna be a Pokémon Master!" dream mean, exactly?" His response? "It's just the silly dream of a child. It's something for him to idolize."
https://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/features/translations/animedia_june2020_daiki_tomiyasu.html

I didn't know where to put this. ShoPro chose violence today and gave ThePokeRaf a copyright strike on his YouTube channel despite the fact that he uses still images in his videos.

Pokeferlax also is going through the same thing. ShoPro, what are you doing? :bulbaFacepalm:

They've been taking people down left and right for years, slowly getting worse with time. Feel so bad these guys, especially Raf.

He didn't say anything like that.
(according to the interview translation):
Interviewer said:
Pokémon: Aim to be a Pokémon Master is said to be the final chapter of Ash and Pikachu’s story. What discussions did the production team have when creating this series?
Kunihiko Yuyama said:
As the story of Ash and Goh being research fellows concluded, I thought it was finally time to reevaluate Ash and Pikachu’s story, as Ash has been the main character for 25 years. The main concept of this story was to give Ash and Pikachu’s story a deserving conclusion.

I didn't know where to put this. ShoPro chose violence today and gave ThePokeRaf a copyright strike on his YouTube channel despite the fact that he uses still images in his videos.

Pokeferlax also is going through the same thing. ShoPro, what are you doing? :bulbaFacepalm:

YouTube's terms of Fair Use is basically nonexistent in Japan, so ShoPro's been abusing that loophole
to down several content creators' videos.

In some very shocking news for me CITV, the former home of Pokémon in the UK is going to be shut down soon.

The channel has lasted for 17 years but the CITV brand has been around for 40 years since 1983.

It was very well known for airing a lot on SM:TV Live and also on the CITV channel.

Since then it has moved to POP. The brand will be retired and the channel replaced with a dedicated destination on ITV's streaming service ITVX called ITVX Kids.

Back
Top Bottom