• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

As cool as that would have been, it might have been too rushed to make Gible evolve there. Not to mention it wouldn't have gotten to do anything aside from losing to Darkrai afterwards. Fans also would have been more upset that they didn't give Ash a Garchomp. I was pretty happy with how Gible was handled overall though. For a late series capture, I thought it was fine. It had a decent amount of focus/screentime, had a fun personality and helped Ash through the Sinnoh League. Other than being in the Volkner Gym battle, there wasn't much else I think Gible really needed to do.
Yeah, but it still would've been cool to have seen a male Gabite be featured in the main series anime (which has still never happened, BTW.) Also, you said Gible's evolution here would've been rushed, but I've done the math, and if it had evolved here, it would've been Gible for 29 episodes, which is still longer than a few of Ash's other Pokemon in their initial stages before evolving. Let's look at Snorunt as a perfect example. Like Gible, Snorunt was a late series addition to the team who also struggled with learning a certain move (in this case Ice Beam as opposed to Gible's Draco Meteor,) and whose efforts to learn said move were treated as running gag, as were Gible and Snorunt treated basically as gag Pokemon overall. And how did Snorunt finally master Ice Beam? It evolved to do so, after having been a Snorunt for only 15 episodes, after which its development as a character was pretty much over.

Gible was much the same. Almost its entire character hinged on the struggles to learn Draco Meteor, and by the time it did, the DP series/development as a character was effectively over. An evolution here for it would've been no more rushed than Snorunt's evolution into Glalie was, and much less so; it would've been a Gible for almost twice the length of time Glalie was a Snorunt. Also, an evolution probably would've helped it against Darkrai tremendously, hell, it might've even been able to win against Darkrai. Remember, Tobias even acknowledged that Gible's Draco Meteor would've been able to defeat any of his other Pokemon, save for Darkrai, but an evolved Gabite might've been able to overcome Darkrai, or at the very least, put up a much better fight than Gible did. (Also, you say the fans would've been upset if they didn't give Ash a Garchomp, but they never gave him a Garchomp anyway, so does that really even matter?)

Basically, to sum it up, they missed the opportunity to evolve Gible after the battle with Conway, and they probably should have, because after Gible mastered Draco Meteor, its character development was pretty much over, as there was no more running gag for it to play off of, and it could've become a strong, evolved Pokemon, just like Snorunt did after evolving into Glalie.

I wonder what the English title for the series will be?

Here are my predictions:
Pokemon the Series: New Beginnings.
Pokemon the Series: New Horizons.
Pokemon the Series: New Frontiers.

These emphasize the fact that it is a truly new start to the anime with new protagonists, while the latter two also incorporate the fact that this is a world-tour anime like Journeys and the fact that they use a massive airship for transportation really makes them seem like adventurers.
I kind of like New Horizons and New Frontiers. New Beginnings isn't bad, but it comes off a bit too generic or maybe just too on the nose about this being a new start with new protagonists. New Horizons and New Frontiers sound a bit more unique by comparison. I am still curious when we'll hear news about the dub though. I'm sure it will be awhile since the series has to start airing in Japan and they'll probably wait until they air the rest of Journeys before making any announcements. I could maybe see them starting the dub late this year, depending on when Netflix releases the rest of Journeys. I also suspect that Netflix will continue to be the home for the dub in the U.S., for better or for worse. If they're willing to make their own Pokemon series, then I assume Netflix still wants to host the dub of the next series, despite how long it takes for them to release new episodes.

Yeah, but it still would've been cool to have seen a male Gabite be featured in the main series anime (which has still never happened, BTW.) Also, you said Gible's evolution here would've been rushed, but I've done the math, and if it had evolved here, it would've been Gible for 29 episodes, which is still longer than a few of Ash's other Pokemon in their initial stages before evolving. Let's look at Snorunt as a perfect example. Like Gible, Snorunt was a late series addition to the team who also struggled with learning a certain move (in this case Ice Beam as opposed to Gible's Draco Meteor,) and whose efforts to learn said move were treated as running gag, as were Gible and Snorunt treated basically as gag Pokemon overall. And how did Snorunt finally master Ice Beam? It evolved to do so, after having been a Snorunt for only 15 episodes, after which its development as a character was pretty much over.

Gible was much the same. Almost its entire character hinged on the struggles to learn Draco Meteor, and by the time it did, the DP series/development as a character was effectively over. An evolution here for it would've been no more rushed than Snorunt's evolution into Glalie was, and much less so; it would've been a Gible for almost twice the length of time Glalie was a Snorunt. Also, an evolution probably would've helped it against Darkrai tremendously, hell, it might've even been able to win against Darkrai. Remember, Tobias even acknowledged that Gible's Draco Meteor would've been able to defeat any of his other Pokemon, save for Darkrai, but an evolved Gabite might've been able to overcome Darkrai, or at the very least, put up a much better fight than Gible did. (Also, you say the fans would've been upset if they didn't give Ash a Garchomp, but they never gave him a Garchomp anyway, so does that really even matter?)

Basically, to sum it up, they missed the opportunity to evolve Gible after the battle with Conway, and they probably should have, because after Gible mastered Draco Meteor, its character development was pretty much over, as there was no more running gag for it to play off of, and it could've become a strong, evolved Pokemon, just like Snorunt did after evolving into Glalie.
Honestly, I was never a fan of Glalie, especially when I found it to be so annoying as Snorunt, and its evolution was kind of why I'm glad that they didn't make Gible evolve to learn Draco Meteor. The setup for a potential evolution was there, but I still think it would have been a bit cliched or at least maybe a bit too fast for me when it didn't have a ton of battling experience. Glalie evolved before the Hoenn League, so it had a lot more screentime to make the evolution feel more worthwhile. Gabite would have had only one battle since it wasn't going to be used against Paul and I doubt that Gabite would have fared much better against Darkrai. I'm not sure how fans would have accepted Gabite defeating Darkrai either. At least Sceptitle had more experience and Leaf Blade can land critical hits at least in the games, so it felt more believable compared to a Pokemon that Ash had recently caught after all of the hype over Darkrai.

If Gible had been caught a bit earlier in the series, or ideally had been Ash's sixth Pokemon instead of Gliscor since I wasn't a huge Gliscor fan either, then I think that making it evolved could have worked. As it is, I think it would have been a bit too fast or at least Gabite wouldn't have had the screentime to make the evolution feel more worthwhile. And after Quilava finally evolved only for it to get one draw in the Sinnoh League, I don't know if doing the same with Gible would have been that great or satisfying.

I kind of like New Horizons and New Frontiers. New Beginnings isn't bad, but it comes off a bit too generic or maybe just too on the nose about this being a new start with new protagonists. New Horizons and New Frontiers sound a bit more unique by comparison. I am still curious when we'll hear news about the dub though. I'm sure it will be awhile since the series has to start airing in Japan and they'll probably wait until they air the rest of Journeys before making any announcements. I could maybe see them starting the dub late this year, depending on when Netflix releases the rest of Journeys. I also suspect that Netflix will continue to be the home for the dub in the U.S., for better or for worse. If they're willing to make their own Pokemon series, then I assume Netflix still wants to host the dub of the next series, despite how long it takes for them to release new episodes.

Yeah, New Horizons and New Frontiers are my preferred options, too. I am interested to learn who the voice cast will be.

Friede gives me Joe Zieja vibes.

Yeah, New Horizons and New Frontiers are my preferred options, too. I am interested to learn who the voice cast will be.

I'm thinking Pokemon Genesis. Genesis means a long and eventful journey, which is what Liko/Roy are going through. The dub for this will be really good I just know it!

Dub wise I can already see Christina Costello pictured in my mind as Riko and either Kevin Thelwell or A.J. Beckles as Roy.

A.J. especially since he'd get more to do than what Hop was given in the anime.

Friede for me feels like it'd be a Danny Kramer, Robb Moreira or Nicholas Corda role.

I assume we'll see some of the NY talent get to voice some of the new characters too in addition to the LA folks. The fisherman guy looks like it'd be someone Marc Thompson would voice.

As for some of the other characters:

Orio would be a cool role for Jennifer Sillverman.

Morii would be a good one for Kayli Mills, Dani Chambers or Emi Lo.

Mardock has Bill Butts written all over him for me.

The mysterious rival guy would be a cool role for someone like Daniel J. Edwards (least likely since we haven't seen him since S&M and he was recast twice as Faba), Alan Lee or even Yuri Lowenthal.

I can honestly see Marc Thompson, Jake Paque or Doug Erholtz voicing Jill and maybe Laura Post or Daisy Guevara as Conia.

Last edited:
I'm watching the entire anime and I just watched the Darkrai movie like two weeks ago and I thought it was boring, tbh.
I never understood the amount of love the DP movies got in the fandom. They felt like extended filler episodes to me, filled to the brim with exposition, more exposition, and awfully choreographed action scenes. Are they animated well? Oh, yes. Are the fights themselves interesting? Nope. The same goes to the story and the characters. It was extremely hard to hold any attachment to any character with how minimal development was for this movie. Darkrai especially, I think I was meant to have feelings for, but...I just couldn't? Not to mention, the plot itself was badly explained and had rushed execution.

I swear, I could go on a whole tangent about the writing of the DP movies and how the "trilogy" of tying all the movies subtly together was a bad decision, but I'll stop here lol.

I don't know who made this list but they have very bad taste, it's concerning
This list is kind of baffling to me. Lucario and the Mystery of Mew being so low and comparing the plot of the Manaphy movie to that of Atlantis is so strange to me. They are entitled to their opinions, but this seems like such a strange order to me.

I don't know who made this list but they have very bad taste, it's concerning
I 100% agree. No way you can tell any pokemon fan that you think the hoopa movie is better than Spell of the Unown, manaphy and the temple of the sea, Lucario and the mystery of mew, and the first movie without someone giving you a funny look. It's easily one of worse pokemon movies.

Admittedly, I've never understood the hate for the Hoopa movie. I thought that it was fun and it might be my favorite of the XY movies. It would either be that or the Volcanion movie. I haven't watched it in ages, but I remember liking it. That being said, I wouldn't rank it that highly among the other movies. It certainly isn't better than Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, Spell of the Unown or The Power of Us.

I wonder what the English title for the series will be?

Here are my predictions:
Pokemon the Series: New Beginnings.
Pokemon the Series: New Horizons.
Pokemon the Series: New Frontiers.

These emphasize the fact that it is a truly new start to the anime with new protagonists, while the latter two also incorporate the fact that this is a world-tour anime like Journeys and the fact that they use a massive airship for transportation really makes them seem like adventurers who are setting sail to explore the world.

I WAS RIGHT ABOUT HORIZONS.

So based on information shared by Pokemon's social media accounts, it seems Liko and Roy will be the dub names afterall. Orio will be known as Orla and Landau will be known as Ludlow. Mollie and Murdock keep their names, though Mollie's is just using a different spelling. Gurumin will also be known as Nidothing. Now that the Ash Ketchum era is over, Pokemon Horizons here we come.

Back
Top Bottom