• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

I still wonder how it ended up being so bland or this messed up in characterization.

Most of them never do nothing remarkable besides battling.

I stopped caring about them, to the point that I'd rather have reserves.
That's almost all that they're used for, it seems. Just battling. I mean, Lucario had that one moment in the Alola episode with showcasing it's aura capabilities, and Gengar and Sirfetch'd were called out to help in the Eevee and Grookey errand episode, but that's basically it for recent episodes. I mean hell, what does Dragonite even ever do anymore besides battle? Which is a such a shame, too, as I love Dragonite's personality so much, it reminds me of Goodra, but even friendlier.
Nice! I haven't fully watched the Espeon & Umbreon episode yet, so I wasn't aware of its presence. Although given what you described, it seems it could have been missable regardless.

I agree about Boltund! Super great Pokémon that was on my first ever Shield team; I love its cry and it reminded me of my late dog. If they show it in the anime, here's hoping they do it justice.
It is. It's literally like a two or three second cameo appearance, so it's barely even in the episode, but I guess that counts? I'm sorry about the loss of your dog by the way. RIP. Boltund is a cool Pokemon though, isn't it? I also liked its cry, thanks for reminding about that. I like how it's just a "woof." I also like how it's just the "Dog" Pokemon. Not electric dog, lightning dog, just dog. I mean there's no plain old "cat" Pokemon, is there? Even Meowth is a "scratch cat" Pokemon. I don't know, just kinda something that stood out to me when I first saw Boltund's species I guess.

(Also fun fact for those who didn't know already: the "und" part of it's name comes from the German word for dog or hound, like in the word Dachshund.)

Last edited:
I just got a bizarre idea for an episode

You guys remember how Team Rocket really wanted to capture Inteleon for themselves in "Messon in Possible"?

Well that episode was also the very last time TR ever saw Sobble. They literally have zero idea that Sobble has since evolved and that Goh owns an Inteleon now.

So when they see Goh’s Inteleon, would Jessie, James, and Meowth try to capture it?

Considering Inteleon is a Secret Agent, It just gave me a little ridiculous idea where Inteleon pulls a reverse version of BW Meowth where it looks like it betrays Goh and joins TR only to end up double crossing TR later. XD

Just imagine a Protagonist dealing with one of his pokemon leaving/betraying him (even if in this scenario Inteleon would only be pretending)

Would also allow TR to finally get to utilize a Starter for at least a little while too

Doubt Journeys would ever do anything like that tho

Last edited:
I have a feeling that this was asked before. How many episodes in each arc did it take Ash to get all eight Badges? I already did Kanto. It took him 63 episodes to get all 8 Kanto Badges.
I am counting Kanto and Johto as their own separate sagas (even though they count for 2/3 of the original series).

What I want to know is this: What Saga took the longest from the start of the Saga to obtaining the final badge. On the flip side, which one took the shortest amount of time?

I have a feeling that this was asked before. How many episodes in each arc did it take Ash to get all eight Badges? I already did Kanto. It took him 63 episodes to get all 8 Kanto Badges.
I am counting Kanto and Johto as their own separate sagas (even though they count for 2/3 of the original series).
Johto: 138 episodes
Hoenn: 111 episodes
Sinnoh: 179 episodes
Unova: 84 episodes
Kalos: 122 episodes

Johto: 138 episodes
Hoenn: 111 episodes
Sinnoh: 179 episodes
Unova: 84 episodes
Kalos: 122 episodes
It took him a ridiculously long time in DP to get his 8th badge though, at 72 episodes. I mean, I know the final showdown with Team Galactic was happening and everything. Not to mention Dawn with the Grand Festival, but even still, he would have gotten it 13 episodes sooner had it not been for Team Rocket interrupting again. And I feel like maybe Grotle/Torterra would have done better in the Gym Battle too if it had happened then and there, because it was shown battling against Luxray, enduring its Spark before it all got postponed. Hell, Ash was still using the defensive tactics with Grotle taught to it by Paul's Torterra right up until it evolved into Torterra itself. I mean, it blocked Seviper and Carnivine's attacks with defense, aaand then it evolves into Torterra and the whole defensive battling style is just dropped outright, still one of the biggest blunders of DP if you ask me. But I guess the writers were just going full-on Infernape fanboy mode at that point, kinda like how something similar happened in XYZ with Greninja. If they really wanted to keep going with the whole speed battling thing for all his Pokemon, they could have just given poor Torterra Rock Polish instead of Rock Climb (which sucks in-game and in the anime apparently,) and maybe even Earth Power or Sand Tomb for a Ground type move. But nooo, I guess it was easier just to shaft the poor thing even all the work it did working on its defensive skills, because Infernape. Not that saying Infernape is a bad Pokemon, not at all. I like most Fire types and Infernape is no exception, however, Torterra is also one of my favorite Grass types, so I really don't think it deserved the treatment it got at all. It should have won in the Sunnyshore Gym at the very least.

Fun Fact: Torterra is Ash's only Ground type Pokemon to never use a Ground type move of any kind. Gliscor knew Sand Attack and even Donphan got to use Earthquake as a Phanpy just once in the episode "Love, Pokemon Style," before the move got banned in the anime. Krookodile and Gible both got Dig, and Palpitoad had Mud Shot.

Last edited:
It took him a ridiculously long time in DP to get his 8th badge though, at 72 episodes. I mean, I know the final showdown with Team Galactic was happening and everything. Not to mention Dawn with the Grand Festival, but even still, he would have gotten it 13 episodes sooner had it not been for Team Rocket interrupting again. And I feel like maybe Grotle/Torterra would have done better in the Gym Battle too if it had happened then and there, because it was shown battling against Luxray, enduring its Spark before it all got postponed. Hell, Ash was still using the defensive tactics with Grotle taught to it by Paul's Torterra right up until it evolved into Torterra itself. I mean, it blocked Seviper and Carnivine's attacks with defense, aaand then it evolves into Torterra and the whole defensive battling style is just dropped outright, still one of the biggest blunders of DP if you ask me. But I guess the writers were just going full-on Infernape fanboy mode at that point, kinda like how something similar happened in XYZ with Greninja. If they really wanted to keep going with the whole speed battling thing for all his Pokemon, they could have just given poor Torterra Rock Polish instead of Rock Climb (which sucks in-game and in the anime apparently,) and maybe even Earth Power or Sand Tomb for a Ground type move. But nooo, I guess it was easier just to shaft the poor thing even all the work it did working on its defensive skills, because Infernape. Not that saying Infernape is a bad Pokemon, not at all. I like most Fire types and Infernape is no exception, however, Torterra is also one of my favorite Grass types, so I really don't think it deserved the treatment it got at all. It should have won in the Sunnyshore Gym at the very least.

Fun Fact: Torterra is Ash's only Ground type Pokemon to never use a Ground type move of any kind. Gliscor knew Sand Attack and even Donphan got to use Earthquake as a Phanpy just once in the episode "Love, Pokemon Style," before the move got banned in the anime. Krookodile and Gible both got Dig, and Palpitoad had Mud Shot.
Torterra needed Earthquake if it wasn’t banned

LOL!

(I'm feeling mixed. On one hand, that Inteleon costume makes me smile a lot. :love:

On the other hand... Poor Cinderace got done dirty... :()
20210909_080417.jpg

Last edited:
Is it me or is Gou's costume noticeably less involved than the others?
Goh - Wearing Inteleon Hat and Cape
Ash - Wearing Lucario Hat and Gloves
Chloe - Wearing Eevee Hat and Neck Fluff

They're all wearing the same amount of costume. It's just that Goh's is a little harder to notice

Back
Top Bottom