• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

Speaking personally, a hugely masochistic side of me would like for there to be a game where all three gimmicks exist simultaneously just to see what kind of mess that would create. That said, if that ever does happen chances are that at least Dynamax/Gigantamax is going to need to be nerfed a little, because as things are now I feel like it's by far the most overpowered of the three and would probably beat the other two nine times out of ten. Z-Moves especially (or at least the purely offensive ones) look downright obsolete next to Max Moves.

I'll be honest, I do greatly miss both Megas and Z-Moves, and while I think it's unlikely at best, I do want to see them both make a return in BDSP, even if it's just in the postgame.

That game would be Pokemon Masters EX ;)

Ash getting a Mega is amazing. If Gengar gets GMAX, then Ash will have the 3 gimmicks. What’s more, this may be conformation for Mega Evolution in BDSP although I’m not counting on it, it would’ve been revealed by now. Now all we need is Greninja back and Ash is the best he’ll ever be

Ash getting a Mega is amazing. If Gengar gets GMAX, then Ash will have the 3 gimmicks. What’s more, this may be conformation for Mega Evolution in BDSP although I’m not counting on it, it would’ve been revealed by now. Now all we need is Greninja back and Ash is the best he’ll ever be
If Lucario Mega Evolves, Ash will already have the gimmicks without having Gengar do anything- Pikachu can G-Max.

I know this is just a general preference, but I think I enjoy fights when they have a developed story to back-up the fights. That’s what makes Ash v Paul, Gary, Kukui, and others, all great - the emotional attachment you get.

Here, I’m not expecting a massive risk for Ash, or any of his Pokemon if they lose, and I’m defiantly not emotionally attached to the whole rivalry. I’m seeing them fight, not experiencing it.
It’s like two Boxers/UFC fighters not talking a load of rubbish/trash-talking each other - there’s honour on the line.

Also, I feel as though the gimmicks would just clutter the fight.

Mark my words, Leon will conveniently have counters for all of Ash's battle gimmicks:
  • Stoked Sparksurfer Alolan Raichu vs 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt Pikachu (I chose Stoked Sparksurfer because it's the only signature Z-Move that hasn't appeared in the anime and doesn't belong to a Legendary or Mythical Pokemon)
  • Mega Swampert vs Mega Lucario (I chose Mega Swampert because the Mudkip line got the short end of the stick during the XY anime, so Leon using one would sorta make up for that. Plus, it'd serve as a great stand-in for the Seismitoad he uses in the games)
  • and of course Gigantamax Charizard vs Gigantamax Gengar

Mark my words, Leon will conveniently have counters for all of Ash's battle gimmicks:
  • Stoked Sparksurfer Alolan Raichu vs 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt Pikachu (I chose Stoked Sparksurfer because it's the only signature Z-Move that hasn't appeared in the anime and doesn't belong to a Legendary or Mythical Pokemon)
  • Mega Swampert vs Mega Lucario (I chose Mega Swampert because the Mudkip line got the short end of the stick during the XY anime, so Leon using one would sorta make up for that. Plus, it'd serve as a great stand-in for the Seismitoad he uses in the games)
  • and of course Gigantamax Charizard vs Gigantamax Gengar
I'd like that. It's not from the games but I think a World Champion having every trick makes sense.

I'd like that. It's not from the games but I think a World Champion having every trick makes sense.
Plus, the anime has made alterations to game characters' teams many times in the past. Heck, just last saga Kukui notably only shared two Pokemon with his game counterpart, and even then, one of them only shows up if the player picks Rowlet as their starter.

Plus, the anime has made alterations to game characters' teams many times in the past. Heck, just last saga Kukui notably only shared two Pokemon with his game counterpart, and even then, one of them only shows up if the player picks Rowlet as their starter.
Although we have seen already that Leon's got Dragapult and (obviously) Charizard like his game counterpart. Makes me wonder, though, since he most likely won't have a fully evolved Galar starter because of Goh, so what will he have? Rhyperior, Aegislash, and Haxorus perhaps? That leaves one slot left for who knows what, Seismitoad or Mr. Rime?

Although we have seen already that Leon's got Dragapult and (obviously) Charizard like his game counterpart. Makes me wonder, though, since he most likely won't have a fully evolved Galar starter because of Goh, so what will he have? Rhyperior, Aegislash, and Haxorus perhaps? That leaves one slot left for who knows what, Seismitoad or Mr. Rime?
Yeah, but there's still the possibility that Charizard and Dragapult are the only Pokemon that anime Leon shares with his game counterpart while the rest of his team is different. Which by the way was the exact same case with Kukui as I mentioned above.

Personally, I'd like it if Leon's team paralleled Ash's in some way, especially if my prediction of him having all the currently existing battle gimmicks is correct.

Yeah, but there's still the possibility that Charizard and Dragapult are the only Pokemon that anime Leon shares with his game counterpart while the rest of his team is different. Which by the way was the exact same case with Kukui as I mentioned above.

Personally, I'd like it if Leon's team paralleled Ash's in some way, especially if my prediction of him having all the currently existing battle gimmicks is correct.
Yeah, I think I also drew that comparison with Kukui, that'd be kinda weird if they both shared exactly two Pokemon with their in-game teams. I can get on board with what you're saying, though. I guess it would be pretty cool if Leon's team paralled Ash's, especially if Leon has all the existing gimmicks as you suspect. Would definitely make for a close, exciting match. Having a foil or counter for Ash's gimmicks with his own gimmicks would definitely put more pressure on Ash. Though that would be fitting for his (seemingly) final battle, as I suspect this will be.

Ya know, it might be because Galar has gotten such little attention but there are Pokemon and Alternative forms that I have completely forgotten about.

For example, Please tell me I'm not the only person who constantly forgets Galarian Weezing, G-Max Butterfree, and Stonjourner even exist?

I know this is just a general preference, but I think I enjoy fights when they have a developed story to back-up the fights. That’s what makes Ash v Paul, Gary, Kukui, and others, all great - the emotional attachment you get.
This is the exact reason why I'm so bored of Ash, his team, and the PWC story-line altogether. I just don't see a reason to be interested in these fights or battles except for the end goal of seeing Ash battle Leon. But like, why is that so important? There's a big loss in stakes and emotional investment here that can honestly only be rivaled by the Unova League. Kanto through Sinnoh were all part of consistent character development for both Ash and his pokemon alike-which Journeys lacks, Kalos was...lackluster, but it had emotional investment in Ash's rivals-which Journeys lacks, and Alola had emotional investment for many characters involved AND had development for another. The only real "rival" Ash has for Journeys so far is Bea and Leon. And what do we know about them?

Not to mention, aside from Ash's pokemon not feeling like they play a substantial role in the narrative, there's a big lack of stakes here. When was the last time Ash lost in a meaningful way? Cause I genuinely can't even remember, and the first thing that comes to mind is that forced "development" after his loss against Bea. There's no real sense of struggle here, adding on to my feelings on the PWC feeling incredibly lackluster in the narrative.

Ya know, it might be because Galar has gotten such little attention but there are Pokemon and Alternative forms that I have completely forgotten about.

For example, Please tell me I'm not the only person who constantly forgets Galarian Weezing, G-Max Butterfree, and Stonjourner even exist?
To be fair, I've cared so little about the Gen 8 games as of late that I've pretty much stopped playing Sword altogether. I really wasn't impressed with the games at all, and felt they were even easier than their predecessors, Sun and Moon. So, for me? It was one and done I think for the Galar region. Nowadays, the only thing I look forward to regarding Galar is how it's showcased in the anime, and hope that it was better than the games were. (And, so far, it hasn't been, really.) It's too bad, too, because Galar had some genuinely interesting and well-designed Pokemon, like Zacian and Zamazenta, but overall, they've really gone and given it the short end of the stick, haven't they?

Back
Top Bottom