• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

So what do you guys think about Goh's Kakuna?
What's there to really say about it? Like the vast majority of Goh's Pokemon, its just there. It has no personality or anything. The only Pokemon he owns that really have anything substantial enough to talk about are Cinderace, Sobble, Darmanitan, Scyther, Beedrill, Cubone, Greedent, and maybe Raichu.

What's there to really say about it? Like the vast majority of Goh's Pokemon, its just there. It has no personality or anything. The only Pokemon he owns that really have anything substantial enough to talk about are Cinderace, Sobble, Darmanitan, Scyther, Beedrill, Cubone, Greedent, and maybe Raichu.
Idk, I think it is pretty neat.

Last edited:
So what does this mean? Well, apparently there just needed to be a new hyper-popular mon to become the new unbeatable juggernaut for Ash, and it looks like Charizard is it.
Funny how the Charizard breed has suddenly been overhyped all over the place after we witnessed two getting trashed by Totodile and Glalie of all things.

Some time ago I spoke of the battle matchups in Pokémon Adventures that many fans would probably be willing to pay see animated. In that list, I completely forgot to mention one very notable matchup: Cynthia vs. Cyrus. And he actually fights her to a standstill before escaping as she uses Draco Meteor, which her Garchomp hadn't fully mastered yet, and thus it failed to finish him off.

Some time ago I spoke of the battle matchups in Pokémon Adventures that many fans would probably be willing to pay see animated. In that list, I completely forgot to mention one very notable matchup: Cynthia vs. Cyrus. And he actually fights her to a standstill before escaping as she uses Draco Meteor, which her Garchomp hadn't fully mastered yet, and thus it failed to finish him off.
Tbh I wanna see Red vs Blue animated but Ash vs Gary is basicly the same but with my prefered starter.

I'd say there's 3 camps:

1. Some hate Goh with a passion and say that his character now can't redeem himself from a Mary Sue status.
2. Some think that some parts were cute, but that the writing is still forced to justify Goh receiving a legendary.
3. Some find the idea of catching a legendary weird but think that the episode was heartwarming and that Goh's bond with Suicune was geniune.
And everybody has also admitted that Goh will certainly be a polarizing character till Journeys Ends.

And everybody has also admitted that Goh will certainly be a polarizing character till Journeys Ends.

Honestly, I think that has been the case for quite some time. The Suicune capture may have solidified it, but I don't think it's a new development exactly. People have either loved or hated Goh since around the time he started to catch Pokemon.

It feels like right around Su/Mo's end the anime fandom felt vaguely optimistic for the first time in a while.
I wish it could have lasted longer.
Ash winning the Alola League and the very strong ending SM had largely is responsible for that.

It feels like right around Su/Mo's end the anime fandom felt vaguely optimistic for the first time in a while.
I wish it could have lasted longer.
It’s kinda funny how SM was the series that did that. It was the most harshly criticised and hated series when it first released but it ended on such a high note. How ironic.

Last edited:
It’s kinda funny how SM was the series that did that. It was the most harshly criticised and hated series when it first released but it ended on such a high note. How ironic.
It's the inverse of what happened to XY, since that one started out virtually universally praised but the infamous League results soured the opinions of a lot of people. It did redeem itself somewhat with the fact that it had by far the best executed Villainous Team plot (to the point that I think it could even be argued that the anime did it better than the games), but poor Ash-Greninja is likely never gonna live down the Burasto Baan memes. It actually got to the point that I even saw a few competitive websites like Smogon jokingly listing Mega Charizard X as an Ash-Greninja counter for a while.

It's the inverse of what happened to XY, since that one started out virtually universally praised but the infamous League results soured the opinions of a lot of people. It did redeem itself somewhat with the fact that it had by far the best executed Villainous Team plot (to the point that I think it could even be argued that the anime did it better than the games), but poor Ash-Greninja is likely never gonna live down the Burasto Baan memes. It actually got to the point that I even saw a few competitive websites like Smogon jokingly listing Mega Charizard X as an Ash-Greninja counter for a while.
Yep, and DP ended with the whole Tobias fiasco.

It's the inverse of what happened to XY, since that one started out virtually universally praised but the infamous League results soured the opinions of a lot of people.
At the end of the day XY set up things it wasn't going to deliver on; the show's goodwill rode pretty heavily on league hype near the end, so when it didn't go anywhere it's reputation crashed. We can see this happen with games, tv shows, and films over and over again: building up fan hype momentum can work out great if you deliver. If not you turn into a laughingstock and permanent meme: see Mass Effect 3, Game of Thrones, and now Cyberpunk 2077.
A sad end note for a series that had generated so much excitement.

I think it might have had a reputation renaissance if Sun/Moon had been a thematic sequel to XY and people could argue XY set up his league win long-term, but...

Edit:
Now, look at Sun/Moon; the Kukui and Tapu setup go somewhere, and instead of Ash's Pokémon vanishing into the ether they see him off as he leaves at the end after a touching farewell to Kukui and Burnett after deciding to see the whole world and setting up 2019.
XY ended with Greninja getting released, Serena kissing him and leaving, and Ash ultimately being exactly where he started the series but with a few more Pokémon at Oak's ranch.

Last edited:
I'd say there's 3 camps:

1. Some hate Goh with a passion and say that his character now can't redeem himself from a Mary Sue status.
2. Some think that some parts were cute, but that the writing is still forced to justify Goh receiving a legendary.
3. Some find the idea of catching a legendary weird but think that the episode was heartwarming and that Goh's bond with Suicune was geniune.

I'm somewhere between 2 and 3 - Go catching a legendary seems like too much but the rescue angle was the right way to handle it.

Back
Top Bottom