• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

Also, the whole "kids are the ones that have to save the world because all the adults are either massively incompetent, completely oblivious to the situation, or conveniently out of commission for some reason (usually straight-up death)" trope is extremely prevalent in general entertainment media, not just in Pokemon. Heck, in anime especially it's so much of an epidemic that I'm sure it's just about the only thing that has orphaned more protagonists than Disney.

This had me thinking. What if Grookey ends up going to Team Rocket? That would be another trend broken, TR using a starter.
Obsessed with this idea since Brook posted this on Twitter:

View: https://twitter.com/APPLE_BRK/status/1100820015295561728?s=20

Cinderace has done more in JN than Jessie ever could
Hokay...
(I am replying here because I didn't want to derail the preview thread...)
(But also because if you shit on my girl I am compelled to reply...)

On one hand you have a regional companion's starter Pokemon.

On the other you have the longest serving female character who has been in nearly 1000 episodes since 1998. This is the character Takeshi Shudo said that he'd have made the main character if only he wasn't mandated to create a generic shonen protagonist. She is arguably the most complex character on the show, with a vibrant personality and a rich history. She has consistently had a compelling dynamic with her teammates and Pokemon partners. She is also, for what it's worth, a Grand Festival and Tripokalon semi-finalist.

So tell me, how are these two characters even comparable?

Hokay...
(I am replying here because I didn't want to derail the preview thread...)
(But also because if you shit on my girl I am compelled to reply...)

On one hand you have a regional companion's starter Pokemon.

On the other you have the longest serving female character who has been in nearly 1000 episodes since 1998. This is the character Takeshi Shudo said that he'd have made the main character if only he wasn't mandated to create a generic shonen protagonist. She is arguably the most complex character on the show, with a vibrant personality and a rich history. She has consistently had a compelling dynamic with her teammates and Pokemon partners. She is also, for what it's worth, a Grand Festival and Tripokalon semi-finalist.

So tell me, how are these two characters even comparable?
Why are people even quoting this now? Cinderace is confirmed to appear.

Also, the whole "kids are the ones that have to save the world because all the adults are either massively incompetent, completely oblivious to the situation, or conveniently out of commission for some reason (usually straight-up death)" trope is extremely prevalent in general entertainment media, not just in Pokemon. Heck, in anime especially it's so much of an epidemic that I'm sure it's just about the only thing that has orphaned more protagonists than Disney.
Doesn't mean it's good, though...

Why are people even quoting this now? Cinderace is confirmed to appear.
This was always confirmed. Aceburn is in every episode and anyone who has ever read a cast list in which the TRio appeared should know that Megumi is always credited for Musashi first. No one was responding to this non-issue you raised.

I am responding to your diss of my favourite character Musashi.

This was always confirmed. Aceburn is in every episode and anyone who has ever read a cast list in which the TRio appeared should know that Megumi is always credited for Musashi first. No one was responding to this non-issue you raised.

I am responding to your diss of my favourite character Musashi.
I never said Jessie was bad. And I agree she is more impoetant in the anime overall. However in JN Cinderace is more important.

It's not bad either, though. It's a tool that can be either used effectively or mishandled just like everything else in storybuilding.
Absolutely yes, it all depends on the context of how it's handled. I just felt the need to clarify that because I see many people pull a 'it happened in many other pieces of media' usually as an excuse for bad writing.

Absolutely yes, it all depends on the context of how it's handled. I just felt the need to clarify that because I see many people pull a 'it happened in many other pieces of media' usually as an excuse for bad writing.
That's true. I don't think it applies to Pokemon itself in this particular instance, though: sure, Pokemon doesn't actually do this spectacularly either, but it seems to do so competently enough that one of the criticisms of SwSh's plot was precisely because the adults' increased competence meant that players were effectively left out of the really interesting stuff until the very end.

I do completely agree that people pulling the "it's happened before" card to excuse bad writing is extremely annoying, though, because it's generally a silencing tactic that fans use to try and shield something they like from criticism because a lot of people sadly don't like to take the hard to swallow pill that is "sometimes things that you like can drop the ball hard", so sorry if came out that way.

Okay, so I don't know if anyone's shared this in the forums yet but I randomly bumped into this and it got a good laugh out of me, so check it out: The Definitive Ash's Pokemon Tier List

Okay, so I don't know if anyone's shared this in the forums yet but I randomly bumped into this and it got a good laugh out of me, so check it out: The Definitive Ash's Pokemon Tier List
Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charizard, Tauros, and Lapras should also be in Best tier.

As for bottom tier...well,there are three things you never discuss on the internet:
1 Religion
2 Politics
3 Ash's Greninja

Hopefully someone here knows but when was XY removed from Pokémon TV? I was watching it a few months ago and now it’s gone :confused:
They cycle through seasons. Kanto and the OI are always available, Sun/Moon has been available for a few years, the others go through a cycle where they release a region one year at a time, then remove it when they reach the next region. New sets go up every month.

They cycle through seasons. Kanto and the OI are always available, Sun/Moon has been available for a few years, the others go through a cycle where they release a region one year at a time, then remove it when they reach the next region. New sets go up every month.

Thanks for that! I really should have just watched it all while it was up... lol

Despite its popularity, did any of the wild or trained Greninja, like Ash's formerly owned, had its limited screentime in the Pokémon main anime? Why?

Speaking of Tier Lists this just reminded me I found an even funnier one that popped up yesterday.

View: https://twitter.com/TierMaker/status/1350950459834568705?s=19

No Seriously wtf is this lmao? :lapras:
Even putting aside my own bias for sec...

Popplio In E Tier Is Objectively False :cautious:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom