• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

Since this is the "Anime & Manga" discussion, I'd really like to talk about Pokémon Adventures, but not many people here seem to know a lot about it.
It’s the only manga I’ve read and I really liked it. Unfortunately, though, I’ve stopped reading it quite some time ago.

Since this is the "Anime & Manga" discussion, I'd really like to talk about Pokémon Adventures, but not many people here seem to know a lot about it.

Ugh, I really want to catch up. I read all of the OG saga with Red and a few chapters of Johto with Gold, but then stopped for some reason. It's really entertaining and has its own charm that the anime/games definitely don't have. I miss it!!

Ugh, I really want to catch up. I read all of the OG saga with Red and a few chapters of Johto with Gold, but then stopped for some reason. It's really entertaining and has its own charm that the anime/games definitely don't have. I miss it!!
I've read all of it, although some parts I remember better than others. It's more faithful to the games than the anime is, it explores some pretty realistic elements, the villains are far more threatening than in the games (sometimes they even catch Legendary or Mythical Pokémon), and Satoshi Tajiri has said the manga is the closest thing to the Pokémon world he invisioned.

I am really wondering how the Master Class PWC will playout. It is a single-elimination Tournament so that means Ash will have to face 2 Opponents (Quarter-Final, Semi-Final) before facing Leon in the Final. I guess he will face Bea in one of those battles and then who? Korrina? There are only Two Slots to fill. And on Leon's Side, I think he'd have to face Lance & Raihan, in the Quarter-Final & Semi-Final, respectively...? That's 6 Trainers (Leon, Lance, Raihan, Bea, Korrina & Ash) I wonder whom the other 2 will be. The Silhouettes shown of the 8 Trainers are so generic but Norman fits in each and every one of them :lapras:

I am really wondering how the Master Class PWC will playout. It is a single-elimination Tournament so that means Ash will have to face 2 Opponents (Quarter-Final, Semi-Final) before facing Leon in the Final. I guess he will face Bea in one of those battles and then who? Korrina? There are only Two Slots to fill. And on Leon's Side, I think he'd have to face Lance & Raihan, in the Quarter-Final & Semi-Final, respectively...? That's 6 Trainers (Leon, Lance, Raihan, Bea, Korrina & Ash) I wonder whom the other 2 will be. The Silhouettes shown of the 8 Trainers are so generic but Norman fits in each and every one of them :lapras:
Ash and Bea's final battle has already been basically confirmed to take place in the Hyper Class. A Korrina rematch is unlikely since he already beat her this series. There's still plenty of time to introduce new contenders for the Master 8. For the time being, I think the safest bet are the remaining regional Champions, but anything is possible.

Something worth taking into consideration, if that Ash makes it to Master Class, it means he has to replace someone already in there. I'm genuinely interested to see who may get displaced and the conflict that may arise from that.
Previously I was guessing that Raihan would be the one that gets knocked out of Master, though that was when I was expecting him to be Ash's rival. Of course in the games defeating him is how you qualify for the Galar league so I could still see him getting the same role here.

There's also NotWally Rinto, though.

Do you think that Ash's Charizard, the one that he had left at Professor Oak's Laboratory, has had enough screentime in the main anime of Pokémon? Why?
Not for my liking to be honest, but that's just personal bias. In truth, he's probably had more love than any of Ash's Pokemon sans Pikachu, so you can't really complain.

That said, I find it very frustrating that Ash used to be the "Charizard Trainer", but that's been thrown out the window. It used to be associated with him, but ever since XY they've been handing that mon out like candy to everyone and their Grandma, to the point that it feels like they're trying to make us forget that Ash has one. Seeing Ash use Dragonite while Leon used Charizard in the SwSh arc was kind of sad for me, because Charizard vs Dragonite is a classic rivalry (Drake, Iris), and it's always been Ash with the Charizard.

Not for my liking to be honest, but that's just personal bias. In truth, he's probably had more love than any of Ash's Pokemon sans Pikachu, so you can't really complain.

That said, I find it very frustrating that Ash used to be the "Charizard Trainer", but that's been thrown out the window. It used to be associated with him, but ever since XY they've been handing that mon out like candy to everyone and their Grandma, to the point that it feels like they're trying to make us forget that Ash has one. Seeing Ash use Dragonite while Leon used Charizard in the SwSh arc was kind of sad for me, because Charizard vs Dragonite is a classic rivalry (Draco, Iris), and it's always been Ash with the Charizard.
It's sort of weird that not only is Charizard no longer associated with Ash but that it ended up with a rival he never defeated and the current rival there's a decent chance he never beats, too.

It's sort of weird that not only is Charizard no longer associated with Ash but that it ended up with a rival he never defeated and the current rival there's a decent chance he never beats, too.
It's an injustice, there's no other word for it.

It's an injustice, there's no other word for it.
Well that's a bit stronger than I'd go but I understand your point. :)

In fairness Leon having a super Charizard was GameFreak's decision. Kiawe...sort of half and half since Charizard IS a ride Pokémon in the games (I don't recall if it was Kiawe's there too or not).

Alain having a league kicker uber Zard is all on the anime though. I sort of wonder if/how gen 9 is gonna include one.

I have read the Adventures Manga through the end of the Ruby & Sapphire Arc and I have to say that every Arc is extremely formulaic: The first half is composed of episodic adventures using game locations, who are simple enough they could even take place in the anime, and the second half is a gigantic big-stakes battle where all characters are involved (*). But that's not a bad thing, since the creators have polished the formula over time and have connected it more to the characters' stories and development. So yeah, I would recommend it for all kinds of Pokemon fans even if it's not a masterpiece.

(*) An exception would be the GSC Arc, which had a looong Second Act about introducing Crystal elements, but it still has both the episodic adventures and the gigantic final battle.

Back
Top Bottom