• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

I don't think Daiki Tomiyasu is that brilliant of a Director. He is just a fine-average director imo. I mean, I absolutely loved Sun & Moon but I felt most of its success had to do with Aya Matsui and not Director Tomiyasu. Many of the underlying problems present in Journeys were to some extent present in Sun & Moon which I feel Tomiyasu himself is responsible for but the Staff got away with it in Sun & Moon with decent Character Moments, some good comedy, emotional stories and exagerrated Character Animation (all of which Journeys does not have). Don't get me wrong, Tomiyasu gave us the first ever 17-Episode League which to believe would have been ridiculous if you told anybody that Sun & Moon of all Series would give us a 17-Episode League when the Series first started.

However if you look at things like the Aether Arc, Necrozma Arc, the gap between Grand Trials, SM Companions not getting enough focus and more in Sun & Moon you see that the man clearly has a pacing problem. This guy also directed Pokemon Generations (which has to be the most rushed Pokemon Media ever). All these problems visibly come out in the Current Series (Offscreen PWC Rank Jump, Uneven Focus with Main Characters, No Focus on Ash's Pokemon) except here in Journeys, it is Ash who takes the backseat to Goh whereas in Sun & Moon it was the SM Companions who took the backseat for Ash (remember people complaining when Ash got to take care of Nebby instead of Lillie?).

I don't think Daiki Tomiyasu is that brilliant of a Director. He is just a fine-average director imo. I mean, I absolutely loved Sun & Moon but I felt most of its success had to do with Aya Matsui and not Director Tomiyasu. Many of the underlying problems present in Journeys were to some extent present in Sun & Moon which I feel Tomiyasu himself is responsible for but the Staff got away with it in Sun & Moon with decent Character Moments, some good comedy, emotional stories and exagerrated Character Animation (all of which Journeys does not have). Don't get me wrong, Tomiyasu gave us the first ever 17-Episode League which to believe would have been ridiculous if you told anybody that Sun & Moon of all Series would give us a 17-Episode League when the Series first started.

However if you look at things like the Aether Arc, Necrozma Arc, the gap between Grand Trials, SM Companions not getting enough focus and more in Sun & Moon you see that the man clearly has a pacing problem. This guy also directed Pokemon Generations (which has to be the most rushed Pokemon Media ever). All these problems visibly come out in the Current Series (Offscreen PWC Rank Jump, Uneven Focus with Main Characters, No Focus on Ash's Pokemon) except here in Journeys, it is Ash who takes the backseat to Goh whereas in Sun & Moon it was the SM Companions who took the backseat for Ash (remember people complaining when Ash got to take care of Nebby instead of Lillie?).

Agreed. Many of my complaints with Journeys are the same ones I had with SM (limited Rocket appearances say hi!) - and Tomiyasu could very well be the common factor there.

Last edited:
Agreed. Many of my complaints with Journeys are the same ones I had with SM (limited Rocket appearances say hi!) - and Tomiyasu could very well be the common factor there.
Wait limited Rocket appearances were done all the way back in Black and White

And yet you have fans complaining about Ash not catching a legendary pokemon. The pokeani fandom is at such odds it's amazing we've held together for so long. Then again, we're more tame compared to other fandoms...
The Anipoké fandom is not satasfied with anything and still wants more.

Does anyone talk about Atsuhiro Tomioka? I mean, the guy's been writing since episode 3 of the pokemon series, and he writes a crap ton of it too(two hundred fifty freaking six episodes!)!
The guy deserves a lot of praise. Been with the franchise since the very beginning and written hundreds of episodes, many of which are top notch and held in high regard by fans. His strength is that he knows the anime continuity really well and likes to sprinkle in references to past episodes. And people tend to like continuity.

Does anyone talk about Atsuhiro Tomioka? I mean, the guy's been writing since episode 3 of the pokemon series, and he writes a crap ton of it too(two hundred fifty freaking six episodes!)!

Yes and if you notice he has only written 6 Episodes for Journeys as of Episode 60. If we keep the same pace and assume this series ends near Episode 140 then he would have only written around 15-20 Episodes. Whereas in BW, XY & SM he wrote more than 25 Episodes in each series. In DP, he did a brilliant job and wrote 70 of the 191 Episodes. Journeys is suffering from a lack of Tomioka.

Yes and if you notice he has only written 6 Episodes for Journeys as of Episode 60. If we keep the same pace and assume this series ends near Episode 140 then he would have only written around 15-20 Episodes. Whereas in BW, XY & SM he wrote more than 25 Episodes in each series. In DP, he did a brilliant job and wrote 70 of the 191 Episodes. Journeys is suffering from a lack of Tomioka.
...damn. We finally figured out what's wrong with Journeys...nice job. :LOL:

Changing the subject slightly here(apologies for the double-posting)...I was re-watching some episodes from the original series and didn't realize how much I missed the original gang's group dynamics. What are your personal rankings of the group dynamics, and why? Also, try to include Team Rocket(*ahem* Pikachu, too...everyone forgets Pikachu for some reason...)because they're apart of the show as well-and antagonist-protagonist dynamics are pretty important too...

Here are mine(and the specific different dynamics will be listed in parenthesis).

1. Original Series(Ash and Pikachu, Ash and Misty, Ash and Brock, Misty and Pikachu, Brock and Pikachu, Pikachu and Togepi, Misty and Brock, Misty and Togepi, Jessie and James, Meowth and Pikachu, James and Misty, Jessie and Ash, James and Brock, Meowth and Togepi, James and Meowth, Jessie and Meowth, Pikachu and Team Rocket, Ash and Team Rocket, etc.) As you can see, the original series is just...such a tight cast. They all have so many different dynamics and personalities among each other its just...seriously. And a lot of it is SHOWN too! Ash and Pikachu's relationship was-well, this was like THE season for their friendship...-great, Ash and Misty's developed quite nicely honestly, and Team Rocket's entire thing with the Original Trio in this Trio vs Trio kind of thing is just...great. Hell, even the POKEMON have a little bit of a dynamic within them, like with Pikachu and Togepi's whole relationship and Bulbasaur and Squirtle's.

2. Advanced Generation(Ash and Pikachu, Ash and May, Ash and Brock, Ash and Max, May and Brock, May and Max, Max and Brock, Brock and Pikachu, Jessie and May, Meowth and Max, James and Ash, Jessie and James, etc.) I didn't really watch much of the AG series, but from the few episodes that I've seen, I've quite liked the dynamics within the entire cast. Remember, dynamics are unique relationships, and even ones from the previous season carried over to here.

3. Sun and Moon(Ash and Lilie, Ash and Mallow, Ash and Sopheclese, Ash and Kiawe, Ash and Pikachu, the Alola Gang and Team Rocket, Team Rocket's entire pokemon team, Kukui and his students, Kukui and Burnet, Ash and Kukui, Lana and Everybody, Kiawe and his family...yeah, I'm going to stop there.) People just hate on sun and moon for the art style and "animation"-even though they clearly do not know what animation is-and the fact that Ash is goofier than normal. Like, let's just gloss over him and Pikachu curb-stomping Team Skull in a situation where they would've lost due to the traditional "re-set" of both their battle abilities-mainly Pikachu's. But then they ignore all this GREAT STUFF, like come on...Sun and Moon is like eighty percent filler, but it's like eight percent filler of good stuff. And there's also the fact that each member has their own interesting personality! Kiawe just doesn't need to be explained. Mallow's kind of the one that keeps the group in energy-and sane, if Ash doesn't already count for that category. Sopheclese is a bit of a nerd. Lana is the "shy but deadly" kind of thing-though she's already well-liked by the fandom so...Lilie has her entire arc of being deathly afraid of pokemon to touching Snowy, to touching Pikachu, to BODY-SLAMMING INTO EVERY SINGLE POKEMON ON CAMPUS SLOW DOWN- Yeah. I love Sun and Moon. Sue me.

4. Black and White(Ash and Pikachu, Ash and Iris, Ash and Cilan, Iris and Cilan, Pikachu and Axew, etc.) While this may seem weaker and not as in variety as the previous two, this still has a pretty freaking strong dynamic. This group's dynamic is the best thing about BW, hands down. I honestly think they're what barely saves the show, because nothing else is...poor BW...*sigh dramatically*

5. X and Y(Ash and Clemont, Clemont and Serena, Serena and Bonnie, Bonnie and Clemont, Bonnie and Meowth, Ash and Meowth, Ash and Pikachu-?-etc...) in all honesty, it was a little harder to find the dynamics in this group. I never understood why people said this was the best group of XY when their dynamics and functionality were so few and far in between. Like, the ones listed are actually pretty strong, like Serena and Bonnie and Clemont and Bonnie...but where's Ash's bond with Bonnie? I'm pretty sure that during XY's time, people were dying to see more Ash and Bonnie moments, but...like that rarely happened..? Also, I had to look seriously closely to find Ash and Pikachu's relationship-that being said, it was nice that most of their moments throughout the series were super small ones...but at the same time they kept shoving their friendship down our throats. XY didn't do their friendship properly, that's for sure. For some strange reason Greninja is always considered a prominent part of this group, like...what? And Pikachu and Serena actually got more dynamic together in a few seconds compared to Ash and Pikachu throughout the entire season.

I won't elaborate more unless someone specifically asks me too, but that's my basic standing.

I can't really see them getting rid of Ash. He and Pikachu are too iconic for them to replace. Not to mention it would be a huge risk to do so after having the same lead for over twenty years. I think a reboot would be more likely than replacing Ash, but even that would feel kind of moot when they've effectively already done that by having the movies take place in their own continuity separate from the anime now.

Honestly, I can kind of see it happening, to a point. While they don't appear to be completely willing to make a total break from the past (perhaps in part due to the reactions to the Team Rocket changes back at the start of Black & White - which is a pity because I really enjoyed those), I think that's more a case of not wanting to make a break cold turkey. Slowly phasing things out though? I could easily see an argument for that happening right now. You could argue that this started with Team Rocket's reduced apperances in last generation, which has continued into the current series (and which feels like it's gotten worse, though I've not actually compared the numbers there). Given the setup of the current series with Satoshi visiting many different regions, in combination with the whole 25th anniversary, right now we really should be seeing a lot more frequent apperances from guest characters from past generations. Despite that, legacy characters have been remarkably rare.

I think you could make an argument that with the latest generation, Satoshi has already been reduced from a clear protagonist to being a co-protagonist. Right now, his entry in the Pokémon World Championships just doesn't feel like the driving force motivating current adventures, whereas Gou is making more constant progress towards his dreams. So while I can't really see them outright dropping Satoshi in the near future, I could see a continuing reduction of his position in the spotlight? If that trend continues into the next generation, I could see the potential for him to be turned into more of a mentor figure for a new young trainer. Still there in every episode perhaps, but a little older and wiser (presumably as a result of how well he did at the World Champs), and now serving as the mentor figure for a new young protagonist who's just starting on their Pokémon journey.

I haven't watched Journeys recently, so pardon my confusion, but what's going on in Journeys? Just genuinely curious.
If you’re asking about most recently; Goh just caught Grookey which means he now has all 3 Galar starters leaving none to go to Ash for the first time ever. A lot of people are upset about this while many (like myself) are ok with it. Some people are also upset about how it was done (I.e. it was originally a Team Rocket mon from their Gatcha Machine that contains random Pokémon), while others actually think that was neat twist.

Back
Top Bottom