• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

Meh, it happens. Though I apologize if I came off as ignorant beforehand. :bulbaLove:
Sorry if my wording came off as weird because I didn’t really intend to post that after seeing the edit, but the server lag caught me I guess

A lot of people define ace as the “strongest Pokémon” of a region without putting much thought on personality development. It’s a pretty generic term; and Greninja comes off as taking the ace role since Ash often defaults to it as his strongest, it was the only one to get any semblance of arc in XYZ with the Wulfric gym defeat and of course, the shiny new form.

It lends itself to the definition of powerful Pokémon Ash uses frequently for final fights which leads an audience to think “Ace”. While pikachu defeats notable Pokémon of Alain’a team, the final spectacle is always given to Greninja.

It may not have the most personality, or the most story-wise fleshed out arc but it was clearly meant to be the front and center attraction of the XYZ series and the league.

Sorry if my wording came off as weird because I didn’t really intend to post that after seeing the edit, but the server lag caught me I guess
:bulbaLove::bulbaLove::bulbaLove:

A lot of people define ace as the “strongest Pokémon” of a region without putting much thought on personality development. It’s a pretty generic term; and Greninja comes off as taking the ace role since Ash often defaults to it as his strongest, it was the only one to get any semblance of arc in XYZ with the Wulfric gym defeat and of course, the shiny new form.
That...makes a lot of sense actually. I'm genuinely surprised at myself for not considering that beforehand...:confused:but it makes sense considering how Greninja was presented as Ash's strongest pokemon in Kalos. It kind of reminds me of the thing where people say the "star" of a pokemon gym battle is the one to defeat the last pokemon...is that relative too, or is it just something that makes sense? Cause you know, the strongest pokemon is always saved for last...

That bird had no personality and hardly ever did anything notable.
Excuse me?
I'll accept the complaints that all it did was pop Team Rocket's balloon, but someone saying it didn’t have any personality clearly didn’t read between the lines in OS. Pidgeotto's one, defining personality trait was its loyalty to Ash. It risked everything it had for Ash, always. The poor thing taking the rocket balloon to the stadium in time while being exhausted was the only reason Ash even entered the stadium for pallet league. l I remember some dialogue around that time clearly comparing Pidgeotto to Charizard, how it’s loyalty was unwavering while Charizard remained full of itself.

How the species was treated is a travesty in my opinion. It should’ve evolved much earlier.
Saying it had no personality is flat out wrong. It has heaps more personality than some of Ash's Pokémon... And at least 90% of Gou's inventory.

Excuse me?
I'll accept the complaints that all it did was pop Team Rocket's balloon, but someone saying it didn’t have any personality clearly didn’t read between the lines in OS. Pidgeotto's one, defining personality trait was its loyalty to Ash. It risked everything it had for Ash, always. The poor thing taking the rocket balloon to the stadium in time while being exhausted was the only reason Ash even entered the stadium for pallet league. l I remember some dialogue around that time clearly comparing Pidgeotto to Charizard, how it’s loyalty was unwavering while Charizard remained full of itself.

How the species was treated is a travesty in my opinion. It should’ve evolved much earlier.
Saying it had no personality is flat out wrong. It has heaps more personality than some of Ash's Pokémon... And at least 90% of Gou's inventory.
"No personality" may have been exaggerating. Let's say "almost no personality".

"No personality" may have been exaggerating. Let's say "almost no personality".
I'd still say that it has a personality. It’s not even an "almost". Pidgeotto is one of the unsung heroes of Ash's OS team. Not every Pokémon has to have a flashy personality to tell us that it has one. JN could probably take pointers from it.

"Never did anything notable" is flat out wrong for if it didn’t exist Ash wouldn't have a battle to lose against Ritchie. Imo it should've been one of the Kanto Pokémon which carried over to Johto. Maybe replace Bulbasaur with it for good measure, or a nice Johto league battle.

Ash's Talonflame is always gonna be a weird one to me personally. Like, it did do a LOT for the team. It battled nearly every gym battle minus Clemont's battle (which is understandable tho), and did a lot even outside of gyms. Like, C'mon, it's typing gives it the advantage against like, 4 out of the 8 gym leaders, 5 if you count that it also resists Valerie's Fairies.

But at the same time, it had no personality. Seriously, I can't recall a single personatily trait it had. And it got little to no developtment due to Greninja being the focus of XY. I honestly don't know how to feel about it.

Greninja truly was a glutton for attention. Even Ash's story in XY largely revolved around how special his Greninja was.
Still one of my biggest hangups about this series. Ash's team barely got developtment, and I honestly couldn't care for most of them like I cared for Ash's team in every other series (minus maybe Jouneys with maybe the exception on Sirfetch'd)

I really like the music and characters in XY but Ash's team wasn't my favorite, sadly. ;_; Though I'll always love Goodra and Hawlucha was also pretty cool, but most didn't stick out much to me. Still, I want to watch all the eps and catch up at some point lol, even if a lot of it will be because of my love for Serena. and proceed to listen to the xy&z opening 10395883 times

Back
Top Bottom