• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

Ash's Talonflame is always gonna be a weird one to me personally. Like, it did do a LOT for the team. It battled nearly every gym battle minus Clemont's battle (which is understandable tho), and did a lot even outside of gyms. Like, C'mon, it's typing gives it the advantage against like, 4 out of the 8 gym leaders, 5 if you count that it also resists Valerie's Fairies.

But at the same time, it had no personality. Seriously, I can't recall a single personatily trait it had. And it got little to no developtment due to Greninja being the focus of XY. I honestly don't know how to feel about it.

I do. Its brave and hugely cares for its trainer, even going so far as wanting to sacrifice himself by taking a full force Fire Blast from a Moltres to save Frogadier, Clemont and Ash from the incoming attack.

I cannot remember any other Pokemon (Aside from Pikachu), who has ever done that for Ash prior to Sirfetch'd doing it as well.

Maybe. But Rowlet's character greatly suffered the writing that was forced upon it, getting success it didn't deserve while getting almost no sort of karma for its laziness. Kinda like a Pokémon version of Cameron.
Or Gou... he has the literal exact same set of problems right now, minus comedy.
Technically Rowlet "deserved" winning against Decidueye if we use your logic for Gou deserving a lot of things, like Suicune for instance.

Don't get Goh involved in this. We were talking about Rowlet, not him.
...why not? It was just weird seeing contrast in both characters who technically “deserve” stuff but that came at the cost of contrived writing. It was a random comparison but it’s a good discussion due to an uncanny set of similarities.

Everything Rowlet did made complete sense narrative wise, but it was very, very, very contrived. Everything Gou does makes perfect sense in narrative but outside the narrative he hardly sees consequences just like Rowlet. It’s an uncanny comparison and it somehow shouldn’t hold true but suddenly it feels apt to me...

I don’t like this happening with both the characters, so my opinions are pretty consistent there.

why not? if you extrapolate some of the issues onto both characters, then they're almost similar. it's hypocritical to dislike one completely and then say that the other one is good and deserves stuff. and you did bring in Cameron, so i don't see the harm in bringing in another character into the discussion.

Last edited:
I don't wanna say anything, but you did brought Cameron into this. Why is bringing Goh up in this conversation something you consider invalid when you just did the same thing with another character?
Maybe. But Rowlet's character greatly suffered the writing that was forced upon it, getting success it didn't deserve while getting almost no sort of karma for its laziness. Kinda like a Pokémon version of Cameron.

He's not. Rowlet is a million times worse than anything Goh has ever done.
Ehhhh... no??? We both know that's not true. The thing is that Rowlet was lazy and won battles with minimun training.

Goh on the other hand catches everything on sight with not little to no effort, faces no challenges whatsover, any issues he does faces just solves themselves out and he barely has to move a finger, he got a Legendary on a silver plate, his mons evolves pretty unfairly, gets focus on nearly every episode, the plot of said episodes just bend themselves backwards so he gets the glory at the end, gets all the special Pokemon... We are already having this same convo for over a year.

Ehhhh... no??? We both know that's not true. The thing is that Rowlet was lazy and won battles with minimun training.

Goh on the other hand catches everything on sight with not little to no effort, faces no challenges whatsover, any issues he does faces just solves themselves out and he barely has to move a finger, he got a Legendary on a silver plate, his mons evolves pretty unfairly, gets focus on nearly every episode, the plot of said episodes just bend themselves backwards so he gets the glory at the end, gets all the special Pokemon... We are already having this same convo for over a year.
He did not get Suicune on a silver platter. He earned it. People exaggerate the issues with Goh a lot.

Some people choose to ignore Rowlet's issues because of the cuteness factor. Goh doesn't have that safety net.

Back
Top Bottom