• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

If a user here was having a discussion and asked for something to not be brought up in this context, please respect their wishes.

Anyways, to contribute to the discussion I will add that I think that Rowlet was very unique, especially how it did indeed win battles in much different ways without extensive practice. I liked the performance of Ash against Olivia where he used Rockruff and Rowlet in conjunction, even though Rowlet did get knocked out. I also thought the way it learned Seed Bomb was pretty interesting as well.

Rowlet didn’t beat Venusaur. And it worked like Substitute, a move Rowlet can learn.
But it wasn't Substitute. And Rowlet was trapped inside Venusaur's flower. How was the move supposed to have worked in making Rowlet evade the attack?

The bottom line is, I dislike Rowlet because of what the anime did with it, and I will never see it as this """god""" that some people call it.

I feel like the whole Rowlet dilemma could have been avoided if they had kept its shtick of shrouding the field with leaves and sneak attacking. It would have been a great change of pace to see an Ash pokemon that is admittedly weaker than the rest but picks up the slack through stalling tactics like Sucker Punch or maybe even Toxic. But the writers had to make it the typical “I tank a million hits and win with a few” pokemon and here we are.

He did not get Suicune on a silver platter. He earned it. People exaggerate the issues with Goh a lot.

Some people choose to ignore Rowlet's issues because of the cuteness factor. Goh doesn't have that safety net.
want to go into a lengthy debate on how that 'earning' was even enabled in the first place with a lot of contrived worldbuilding and writing. there's no exaggeration there.

i don't like rowlet for that matter, but it's hypocritical to cuss one out while conveniently ignoring and praising another similar case.

i don't like rowlet for that matter, but it's hypocritical to cuss one out while conveniently ignoring and praising another similar case.
I'll judge Goh once Journeys is over. Rowlet's native series is over, so I feel more free to judge it already.
I loved Ash’s Rowlet lol. The only issue I had with it is I wish it could have evolved.
It probably was planned to evolve before it was realized to be too marketable as it was.
Rowlet has a great win rate
Win rate doesn't take into account the quality of the wins.

Why is it that Rowlet falls asleep during battle it untrained and the anti Arceus of Pokemon but when Snorlax did the same thing during the Harrison battle it doesn't get the same treatment

I wish 6 vs 6 fight weren't so rushed back in the pre Diamond Pearl because I think the quick pacing of the battles really does affect my thought on the pokemon compare to now

He did not get Suicune on a silver platter. He earned it. People exaggerate the issues with Goh a lot.

He did earn it: AFTERWARD. This simple fact does more harm than good, as if Goh had gotten Suicune AFTER it had so much bonding with it-then maybe it would've been a little bit more believable. It also would've made the "Goh releases Suicune" scene in the episode less redundant, as the final scene instead could've been Suicune giving Goh permission to capture him as a sign of respect-which Goh had in fact earned at that point in the episode. However, instead, there's no buildup to Suicune's capture, leading later scenes to feel redundant, and the entire scene where Goh first catches Suicune is treated lightly-comical faces and comedic timing. That's why people are saying Goh was handed Suicune on a "silver platter" because by all accounts, he didn't earn it when he caught Suicune.

There are a lot of issues with Goh, but like virtually every other character in the Pokeani series, they are not the driving force behind his character. The main issue with Goh is that he never earns anything-at the proper time. Don't you think the direction of the Suicune episode was, at least, a little bit odd? And the same goes for Scorbunny's evolution-wasn't completely earned, but the episode where Goh "releases" Raboot somewhat showed he earned it with his pokemon-as well as its partnership. It all comes down to two things being the main reason why the two co-protagonists of Journeys are so out of whack with their goals: pacing(for Ash) and proper story organization(for Goh).

I still haven’t seen any good argument about how Rowlet deserves nothing it got while Gou did. They both technically earned what they got in writing, but it clearly wasn’t deserved and the writing was convoluted. I personally think this borderline vehement hate of Rowlet as a Pokémon while ignoring the same issues in Gou is weird.

Why is it that Rowlet falls asleep during battle it untrained and the anti Arceus of Pokemon but when Snorlax did the same thing during the Harrison battle it doesn't get the same treatment
Nostalgia goggles.
He did earn it: AFTERWARD
Gou's capture was temporary, he wasn't planning to actually "get" Suicune, only to protect it while its still weak. It was Suicune's own decision to be captured "afterward," and at that point Gou announced to "get" it.

Hopefully this is the right topic to share this. After watching one of Pokeraf's videos, I saw this video in my recommended section:

View: https://youtu.be/A6-Mx21bRj0

Yes, it's a Goh related video. However, I think it's worth watching. The video has gotten a lot of views in the span of a day and the guy did a great job at dissecting this subject in my opinion.

charusharu is the man. plus he makes great Amourshipping content

Back
Top Bottom