• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

LOOLLLL. Swellow needs to be 2 with Normal and Tauros needs to be 3. Talonflame needs to be placed second with Flying behind Charizard and 3rd behind Charizard and Infernape with Flying. Lol... Leavanny below Bayleef, despite Leavanny being the second strongest behind Krookdile in Unova.
It’s literally a list based on their preferences though? And not by strength?

PS: hot take: I think Swellow is overrated. And although I liked Talonflame and it was automatically high up on my list of favourite birds, when I actually tried to remember what it’s personality was like @Enzo I ran into many issues actually finding traits for it.

You know, after seeing it getting mentioned a couple of times, I think Unfezant was done dirty. She looked like a Pokemon with tons of potential. That battle against Swanna was a godd example of that. She was pretty courageous, and like,,, you could just feel she had way more to offer than those pathetics loses.

I think that if either Ash's rotation team was better done, or he had a classic 6 Pokemon team, I do think that Pokemon would've been treated better.
Yeah, this is honestly the reason why unlike most people I can't really hate Unfezant so much as feel sheer, unbridled pity for her. After two consecutive instances of Ash's regional bird Pokemon recieving the focus and good treatment that other Pokemon got by default, going back to the OS-era of bird neglect was awful. And it doesn't help that I actually do kinda like Unfezant as a species, so seeing it done so dirty in the show was annoying. There's also the fact that Unfezant isn't actually as bland as people claim she is, she just got her personality phased out because of a lack of screentime, something that Palpitoad and Boldore suffered from as well (though Palpitoad arguably had it even worse than Unfezant in that regard, since his personality disappeared literally right after he was caught). But the absolute biggest middle finger towards Unfezant was the poor bird being turned into a jobber against Cameron's Riolu because the writers really wanted to hammer it into viewers how amazing and powerful this particular Riolu was (I suppose because humiliating Bianca's Emboar didn't make that clear enough, apparently), so look at how it trounces a fully-evolved Flying-type.

The problem was really in the fact that BW, like season 1, gave most of the focus on the starters (and Scraggy, because of its various antics, I assume). That really ended up resulting in most of Ash's Unova Pokémon, including Unfezant and especially Palpitoad, to get way less attention than they should've gotten.
Yeah, a big problem with trying to do a rotating team is that the writers tried that out in an era where Ash got all three starters, which obviously have to get a lot of screentime for marketing reasons due to being the faces of their Generartion, meaning they'll hardly ever not be in Ash's team. Scraggy meanwhile wasn't just the cute, marketable baby, but him being shoved into the spotlight might have also been influenced by the other marketable baby of the group: Axew. Axew was a very weak Pokemon, meaning he was difficult to train up, but having Scraggy being a fellow baby with comparable power made him the ideal sparring partner for Axew, so of course Scraggy had to frequently stay on the team, since he was the only one that could help Axew grow (making it all the more frustrating that Axew's development was botched as badly as it was, tbh). And Pikachu is obviously never going to not be on Ash's team, since he's Ash's main partner. This means that in practice there was only one slot in Ash's party for the rest of Ash's Pokemon to share, resulting in most of them having pitiful screentime, underdeveloped personalities, and being the designated fall guys of the team. Leavanny and Krookodile somehow managed to fare better than the rest, but I think it's worth mentioning that the latter was somewhat of a late capture, meaning a good chunk of his development was done as a wild Pokemon.

In other words, doing a rotating team might have worked better if it was done in an era where Ash only caught one starter, since at least then there would be less marketing-mandated constraints... at least in theory, since even if Ash didn't get all the starters there's still the possibility of him getting a non-starter that's highly popular/marketable ala Lucario, meaning writers would naturally want to give the lion's share of screentime to that and we'd be back to the exact same problem.

In other words, doing a rotating team might have worked better if it was done in an era where Ash only caught one starter, since at least then there would be less marketing-mandated constraints... at least in theory, since even if Ash didn't get all the starters there's still the possibility of him getting a non-starter that's highly popular/marketable ala Lucario, meaning writers would naturally want to give the lion's share of screentime to that and we'd be back to the exact same problem.
Going on a slighlt tangent, it pains me a little cuz I really thought that Journeys would be the perfect series to have a rotation team again. Not being anchored in a single region, meant that theoretically speaking Ash could have any Pokemon on his team, maybe even bringing some of his reserves back...

And considering that they have already done a team in this format, they could've easily looked back to see what/where it failed and actually do it right this time. And also the fact that Ash had a full 6 team by episode 50, they sure had time to add more. And while in theory we could still have one, with the way his team is being handled, I don't know if I still want that.

Going on a slighlt tangent, it pains me a little cuz I really thought that Journeys would be the perfect series to have a rotation team again. Not being anchored in a single region, meant that theoretically speaking Ash could have any Pokemon on his team, maybe even bringing some of his reserves back...

And considering that they have already done a team in this format, they could've easily looked back to see what/where it failed and actually do it right this time. And also the fact that Ash had a full 6 team by episode 50, they sure had time to add more. And while in theory we could still have one, with the way his team is being handled, I don't know if I still want that.
I know I should wait until Journeys is over before giving a veredict on Ash's team, but as of now I feel like it might have been better if Ash's only new captures in Journeys were Lucario and Sirfetch'd (aka, the only two who actually have gotten any development) and Ash simply called his reserves for any PWC matches against experienced/powerful opponents like Korrina. Yes, I know it might sound harsh to deprive Ash of his first Ghost-type, but what even is the point if it's barely even going to do anything? At least Ash's reserves only popping out for the occasional battle would be justified by the fact that most have already received ample development and screentime. And heck, Ash calling back on reserves could also help give the more neglected ones another chance to shine. It'd be the epitome of having your cake and actually getting to eat it. Instead we're getting the worst of both worlds: Ash's past Pokemon don't get to appear aside from the occasional flashback, and his current team isn't getting the proper focus it deserves.

LOOLLLL. Swellow needs to be 2 with Normal and Tauros needs to be 3. Talonflame needs to be placed second with Flying behind Charizard and 3rd behind Charizard and Infernape with Flying. Lol... Leavanny below Bayleef, despite Leavanny being the second strongest behind Krookdile in Unova.
I didn’t rank them by power.

But at the same time, it had no personality. Seriously, I can't recall a single personatily trait it had. And it got little to no developtment due to Greninja being the focus of XY. I honestly don't know how to feel about it.

As a Fletchling, I remember it being rather animated. Though, it was mostly small moments, so I would say it had the most personality in its debut episode: it yawned as it LITERALLY WAITED for Ash and the gang to find him, laughed at the group repeatedly throughout the episode, and once caught seemed rather apologetic. A sliver of this reappears again during A Not So Flying Start!(I think that's what the episode is called...) where he wants to battle against the Fletchinder, but is refused to the point where its in the dumps throughout the entire episode. Also, two things it shares with the majority of Ash's pokemon: loyalty and determination. Hope that helps. ;)

As a Fletchling, I remember it being rather animated. Though, it was mostly small moments, so I would say it had the most personality in its debut episode: it yawned as it LITERALLY WAITED for Ash and the gang to find him, laughed at the group repeatedly throughout the episode, and once caught seemed rather apologetic. A sliver of this reappears again during A Not So Flying Start!(I think that's what the episode is called...) where he wants to battle against the Fletchinder, but is refused to the point where its in the dumps throughout the entire episode. Also, two things it shares with the majority of Ash's pokemon: loyalty and determination. Hope that helps. ;)

A not So Flying Start was the Noibat episode.

The episode you mean is called Battles in the Sky.

Sorry for randomly changing the subject, but I just saw THIS for the first time, and like....???!!! Help??? I'm still hung up on the Ash and Pikachu dialogue???!!! Like WHAT??? What on EARTH were those people thinking? And again, back on Ash and Pikachu-have they done NO RESEARCH WHATSOEVER like aghdajkhgrjksnfviorwead fhriueah-I can't. :confused: :mad:(n):cautious:

Sorry for randomly changing the subject, but I just saw THIS for the first time, and like....???!!! Help??? I'm still hung up on the Ash and Pikachu dialogue???!!! Like WHAT??? What on EARTH were those people thinking? And again, back on Ash and Pikachu-have they done NO RESEARCH WHATSOEVER like aghdajkhgrjksnfviorwead fhriueah-I can't. :confused: :mad:(n):cautious:
I hope TPCi/Nintendo filled a phat lawsuit.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

No, but you are a minority.

Fans don't like Goh because a lot of things about him are just not handled right and even though he's the "co-protagonist" he often takes away screen-time, even in Ash-focused episodes. The reason why I don't like him is for similar reasons; though my thoughts can actually be compared to the fandom's thoughts on Team Rocket: terrible in almost every episode; deserve their own show when they get focus episodes. By all accounts, Goh is an interesting character-its just a lot of negative factors about him and the show he's introduced in can leer people away from the positive parts of his character and ignore them entirely.

Yeah that was stupid in PETA's game Ash says he does not care about Pikachu meanwhile he risked his life to save it.

Honestly, I genuinely hate PETA. They're an organization that is supposed to fight for animal rights, but they put too much time and effort in into pushing their beliefs through trashing video games set in fictional worlds by warping and twisting them into something horrible. Like what do you even have to gain from doing this? I honestly hope they got sued for this. Every time there' a new Pokemon game they pretty much gotta cry Pokemon bad.

Right??? Like this is said by ASH FREAKING KETCHUM...to FREAKING PIKACHU: "I don’t hate you. I just don’t care. Have I ever shown an inkling of concern about you one way or the other?" "I never asked you if you wanted to battle other Pokemon or wanted to leave your Pokeball to stretch your legs. You’ve always just been a tool to me." "The only thing that matters to me is that I make a lot of money in the Pokemon entertainment industry. I don’t want you messing with the minds of children."

Screenshot 2021-03-21 11.42.24 AM.png
WOW.
Screenshot 2021-02-27 at 11.22.14 AM.png
UR SO RIGHT PETA.
Screenshot 2021-02-26 at 1.07.47 PM.png
LOOK AT THIS SOULLESS MONSTER.
tumblr_ougssiyxnE1s3at53o1_500.jpg
HE WOULD DEFINITELY ABUSE POKEMON.
Screenshot 2021-02-28 at 11.00.08 PM.png
EVEN THO HE REFUSED TO GIVE AWAY PIKACHU FOR AN OVERFLOWING CHEST OF ACTUAL GOLD UR SO RIGHT
Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 8.27.20 PM.png
GUYS STOP DOUBTING PETA THEY'RE JUST SAVING THE POOR DEFENSELESS POKEMON FROM ASH AND OTHER TRAINERS.
Screenshot 2021-03-21 11.48.30 AM.png
LOOK HOW MISERABLE THEY ALL ARE.
Screenshot 2021-02-28 at 10.23.23 PM.png
THEY ARE BEING TORTURED.
Screenshot_2020-12-07_at_1.22.54_PM.png
PETA WAS RIGHT THESE POOR POKEMON!!! :cry:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-26 at 1.07.47 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-26 at 1.07.47 PM.png
    132.4 KB · Views: 29
Right??? Like this is said by ASH FREAKING KETCHUM...to FREAKING PIKACHU: "I don’t hate you. I just don’t care. Have I ever shown an inkling of concern about you one way or the other?" "I never asked you if you wanted to battle other Pokemon or wanted to leave your Pokeball to stretch your legs. You’ve always just been a tool to me." "The only thing that matters to me is that I make a lot of money in the Pokemon entertainment industry. I don’t want you messing with the minds of children."

WOW.
UR SO RIGHT PETA.
LOOK AT THIS SOULLESS MONSTER.
HE WOULD DEFINITELY ABUSE POKEMON.
EVEN THO HE REFUSED TO GIVE AWAY PIKACHU FOR AN OVERFLOWING CHEST OF ACTUAL GOLD UR SO RIGHT
GUYS STOP DOUBTING PETA THEY'RE JUST SAVING THE POOR DEFENSELESS POKEMON FROM ASH AND OTHER TRAINERS.
LOOK HOW MISERABLE THEY ALL ARE.
THEY ARE BEING TORTURED.
PETA WAS RIGHT THESE POOR POKEMON!!! :cry:
Pikachu is Ash's BFF he juumed off a building to save Pikachu. How the f does he not care?

I knew of this years and years ago. It’s PETA, what did you expect? The subject of their parody being the games where the evil Team was about liberating Pokemon is deliciously ironic.

PETA is the group that wanted everyone to get rid of phrases like being home the bacon and kill two birds with one stone. The only people who take them seriously are the ones that are drinking their animal product free kool aid.

Back
Top Bottom